New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Michigan HomeBrew Forum > Homebrew on the WEB 2012

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 12:56 AM   #111
AdamWiz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrowell15 View Post
By the way, I'm really enjoying this convo. Just hope I'm not pissing anyone off. :-)
I'm finding this convo to be quite enlightening also. And no, you're not pissing anyone off - not me anyway. Some people get a little sensitive on this site, but we should all remember that differing viewpoints are a valuable thing. If everyone agreed with me, I would have no reason to come here. I just hope I'm not coming off as a whiner on this thread, like "boo hoo, my beers aren't judged fairly" or something. I'm just trying to understand the process better, and this thread has definitely helped with that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 01:19 AM   #112
mors
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 74

In the mini bos rounds each beer is still evaluated to it's specific substyle. They are also evaluated against each other. They have to be so you can determine 1st, 2nd, 3rd. They basically decide which beers are more exceptional to their specific substyle. Sure some people are more bias towards styles with stronger flavors etc... They shouldn't... But they're human. That's why it's done in groups to try and curb that. Even then a strong personality can dominate....again humans... This might not be the best way to judge a comp... But it's pretty much agreed on to be the best so far.

Jdrowell15? You in Fred's class?

BJCP A0936 Certified Beer Judge and Mead Judge
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
Malty Dogs Homebrew Club
AHA Forums "dkfick"

Old 03-25-2012, 02:04 AM   #113
jdrowell15
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yep, I'm in Fred's class.

Maybe we can say it's all just semantics now? LOL

But i can't help myself, enjoying the convo to much.

The beers are given a placing relative to each other, but are they evaluated to each other? They shouldn't be both evaluated to the style and evaluated(but that depends on how u describe evaluation, semantics!) to each other. How exceptional they are is their evaluation to that style. From there it's just their degree of exceptionabilty(if that's a word), not their comparison to the other beers.

Wow, now my head is really hurting! Haha

Old 03-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #114
mors
Recipes 

no in a competition beers have to be evaluated against each other... they are competing. You have to decide which beers are best examples of their style. You're not going... I like beer A better than beer B. You're going beer A is a better Bock than beer B is a doppelbock.

I'm in Fred's class as well (Dan here)

Old 03-26-2012, 02:07 AM   #115
jdrowell15
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

YES! That's exactly it! Thank you! I knew we were trying to say the same thing. Just couldn't figure out the best way to say it without contradicting myself at the same time. Lol

This is Jesse. Not that we really know people's names in the class. Lol

Old 04-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #116
AdamWiz
Recipes 

After all my earlier ranting, I thought I should post to let people know that I did eventually get my medals, Jay got them to me. I just hope I'm not blacklisted from future comps - they didn't take too kindly to my complaints. I mean, I get that the people running the comp. volunteered their time and were not paid. But that doesn't mean they should be above fixing a problem when it is brought to their attention. But in the end, Jay made it right for me. I just wanted to give credit where it was due.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #117
mlyday
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Im still kind of ticked off. They may have volunteered their time, but we PAID to enter the competition, so we have a right to want what we paid for. Simple as that.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #118
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyday View Post
Im still kind of ticked off. They may have volunteered their time, but we PAID to enter the competition, so we have a right to want what we paid for. Simple as that.
Amen, brother. That was my main gripe, the fact that I was treated like I was some sort of a**hole for having the nerve to complain that I didn't get the meadls I earned. All I kept hearing was about how they were volunteers, so we should all feel sorry for them that they had to spend so much time on the competition. But as I said before, they didn't put on the comp to do me a favor - they did it because they wanted to. So if you're going to volunteer to run a huge competition, be prepared to do it right, and be prepared to fix any issues that come up. Like you said, we PAID to enter, we have a right to get what we earned. But it was as if they couldn't believe that I actually cared about not getting my medals, like I was somehow out of line. And I'll admit, I was less than subtle in my later remarks to them - but that was after 2 weeks of basically being ignored and blown off. It became apparent to me that I had to rattle some cages to get a response. Funny thing, 2 weeks of emails with no response - but within 5 minuites of posting an angry message on their facebook page I was being scolded for daring to say anything about the sacred volunteers. But hey, it got me my medals. I just kind of feel bad that's what it took.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #119
mors
Recipes 

I think you're both being little crybabies. They acted like you were being assholes because you were. I get that you were excited to see your results and get your medals. When they use the 'excuse' that they are volunteers it's not to avoid correcting issues/mistakes. It was because you were going ape **** not even a week after the competition. Volunteers donate time. Getting medals and results posted takes time. Volunteers also have real jobs that they have to do. The volunteering takes place in their free time. They are unlikely to spend every moment of their free time doing things for this competition. Thus there is only so quick this stuff can go. I certainly felt everything was done i a timely manner. Were there mistakes? Sure. Humans etc... Overall this was a very well run competition.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #120
thegleek
Short Arm'd Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

this thread makes me lol. minds well be a flame war and we can pretend to be 14 year old kids again!

Quick Reply