Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Michigan HomeBrew Forum > Bells Brewing Homebrew Expo 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #31
mors
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Congrats. My beer turned out alot more tart than I planned. Not expecting an email.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #32
AdamWiz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I also got an email saying I made the final table. Now I can't wait for Sunday!

Old 10-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #33
HopRodGR
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWiz View Post
I also got an email saying I made the final table. Now I can't wait for Sunday!
What'd you make? I did a Black RyePA and used Belgian yeast instead of my old IPA standby Cal Ale.

Edit: I just saw you answered that question 6 weeks and 5 posts ago. Did you end up using the Jager or did your Nelson SMaSH make it?

Reason: Can't read

Old 10-31-2012, 07:34 AM   #34
AdamWiz
Recipes 

I actually didn't end up using any oak chips at all. I made a smoked brown ale fermented with Irish ale yeast, and it turned out really tasty so I didn't want to mess with it any further. The Nelson SMaSH turned out well too, but I thought the smoked brown had a better shot in the competition. It seems to me in this competition they want not just a good beer, but an interesting one too. See you there Sunday, hopefully one of us has a reason to celebrate! Even if it's only one of the runner up prizes - brewing my beer at Bell's would be a dream, but a gift certificate to the store wouldn't be too shabby either.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #35
HopRodGR
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWiz View Post
I actually didn't end up using any oak chips at all. I made a smoked brown ale fermented with Irish ale yeast, and it turned out really tasty so I didn't want to mess with it any further. The Nelson SMaSH turned out well too, but I thought the smoked brown had a better shot in the competition. It seems to me in this competition they want not just a good beer, but an interesting one too. See you there Sunday, hopefully one of us has a reason to celebrate! Even if it's only one of the runner up prizes - brewing my beer at Bell's would be a dream, but a gift certificate to the store wouldn't be too shabby either.
That was the exact mindset I had, a good beer might win a comp with style guidelines, but you probably need to think outside the box a bit to win a comp like this. I thought combining three different IPA styles (Black, Rye, Belgian) would be fun to try and I thought it turned out pretty good, though I feel lucky that it actually worked. Glad they thought so too. Good luck to you, I'm rooting for you to come in second!

Old 10-31-2012, 08:38 PM   #36
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Just got back from the Bell's store on a supply run. I was told only 10 beers made it to the final table.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:21 AM   #37
HopRodGR
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I really wonder how many entries they had. I'd guess 250ish signed up based of the line but I guarantee a good chunk of them never turned in their entry since there is no fee and the wort is free. I suppose if you thought you had something worthwhile, most would make the effort to drop some bottles off.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:05 AM   #38
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Yeah, a good portion of those who get wort don't end up turning anything in. I think I remember hearing last year that only 90 or so turned in beers out of over 200 who got wort. Some people just want the free wort, but I think a lot more just don't turn them in if their beers don't turn out that well because either (A)a lot of people try strange and crazy things that don't end up well, or (B)they came from a ways away and don't want to make the trip to drop off if they know their beer is not worthy of winning.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:02 AM   #39
boostsr20
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Got the email as well. Almost didn't enter because I wasn't totally happy with the end product. Who says you can't make a decent sour in a month

Old 11-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #40
HopRodGR
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostsr20 View Post
Got the email as well. Almost didn't enter because I wasn't totally happy with the end product. Who says you can't make a decent sour in a month
Wow, must be pretty good if it got chosen when it was this young. What'd you strain did you use to sour it?

Quick Reply