Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Michigan HomeBrew Forum > Bells Brewing Homebrew Expo 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #21
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1948 Times on 1409 Posts
Likes Given: 1065

I forgot to check the website. I kind of expected an email or something that announced the winners.

I like a nice IPA as much as the next guy, but sheesh! Am I the only one who thinks a good IPA is one of the easiest beers to make??

EDIT: Just checked the website. An IPA won, but you have to admit, there were some interesting additions to that recipe!

I had hoped to see a list of the descriptions, just out of curiosity.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 11:29 PM   #22
BrewerinBR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Well better luck to all next year

I seek not a hobby to fill my time; I seek a passion to fill my life!

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/base...-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

Old 11-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #23
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

It was worth it to just go down and hang out and have some food and drink, and then to go home and brew of course.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #24
BrewerinBR

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
It was worth it to just go down and hang out and have some food and drink, and then to go home and brew of course.
Having several pints of stout at the cafe while dropping off our entries was great fun.

Already thinking about next year...

I seek not a hobby to fill my time; I seek a passion to fill my life!

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/base...-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

Old 09-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #25
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Speaking of next year................... I am about to head down to Bell's to get a good spot in line. Who else is coming?

Old 09-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #26
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

I went on Thursday to watch Euforquestra play The Eccentric Cafe. Good show, but there weren't very many people.

I passed on the free wort this time due to not having set up a collaboration effort with friends, and not having any free time in the foreseeable future for brewing. I thought about how I might be able to collect wort and hold onto it until Sunday when we drove home. I even thought about brewing at my MIL's house, but decided to just skip the effort this time. Too much going on.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #27
mors
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 94

every year I have not brewed the same day... just not feasible for me with the 2.5 hour drive home etc... So I just brew it up on Sunday or Monday each year. No infections in my beers as of yet. One option (which I have not done until I did it to my buddies wort this year) is to add campden tablets at a rate of 1 per gallon like they do for cider and wine must. We'll see how it turns out...he's brewing with me tomorrow night.

My beer this year is a sour saison...I pitched some grains in there and have been keeping it warm since Sat...

Old 09-11-2012, 04:51 AM   #28
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I went on Thursday to watch Euforquestra play The Eccentric Cafe. Good show, but there weren't very many people.
The new bar with the stage is awesome, the thing is ever since they opened it all of a sudden they want 15-20 dollars for every show. I used to go to Bell's to see music at least a couple times a month - now I only go if it's someone I REALLY want to see. Sorry, but that is just too much for a show at a bar. 30-40 bucks for the wife and I before even buying a beer is pretty steep. But at least when there is a band I really want to go see there now, you can actually SEE them and the sound is good. Indoor shows at the old place were awful. Especially if it was a popular group - wall to wall people, couldn't see the band cause no real stage, and awful sound quality.

But on to brewing - I have had some thoughts about soaking some oak chips in Jagermeister and putting those in the secondary. Jager barrel brown, anyone? A lot of people do bourbon barrel stuff, why not this? Still not sure, though. It's either brilliant or the worst idea I've ever had. Could end up medicinal tasting. I also brewed up a SMaSH with the second half of the Bell's wort yesterday, using Nelson Sauvin hops. I just can't get enough of that fruity Sauvin taste lately - they are quickly becoming my go-to in any beer with a lot of hop flavor/aroma. There's just nothing else like them.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #29
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Euf was only $7...

I have not got to try some Nelson yet. I'd be curious to taste the Jager in a RIS or Barleywine.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #30
HopRodGR
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So is anyone heading down to All Stouts Day for the announcement of the winners? Bell's emailed me today to let me know I made the final table. Pretty humbling considering how many people entered. Had to be well over 200 by my guess.

Quick Reply