Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Michigan HomeBrew Forum > Bells Brewing Homebrew Expo 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2011, 12:21 AM   #11
AdamWiz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My two Bell's competition beers are both in secondary dry hopping right now, one with Bramling Cross and one with the "369" hops. I made two different variations of hoppy brown ale, one using orange blossom honey. I also fermented one with Bell's house yeast that I cultured from a six-pack of Pale Ale. I figured that would be a nice touch for a Bell's competition. I'll be bottling within a few days. How are everyone else's beers turning out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2011, 12:56 PM   #12
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2349 Times on 1667 Posts
Likes Given: 1317

Just put the Stout on dry hop last night. A few days late, but there was a layer of gooey yeast that wouldn't drop. I had to siphon from underneath.

I had a taste and thought it was pretty good. My wife, who isn't a beer drinker, thought it was too bitter. Odd since she actually likes a strong stout. But she also said it was not smooth. I disagree. I thought it was pretty creamy considering it's age.

But she has a sinus infection and is still sick and medicated, so who knows what's wrong with her senses.

Just a couple of days on dry hop then into the bottles to condition! It's a fairly strong beer, so crossing our fingers it mellows out nicely in the short time we have.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #13
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
It's a fairly strong beer, so crossing our fingers it mellows out nicely in the short time we have.
yeah, I actually didn't go as big as I was origionally planning because I was worried it might not mellow out in time. I stayed around 1.064. How high was your starting gravity?

Old 09-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #14
BrewerinBR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 42

The SMaSH that Homercidal and I brewed up with the Bell's wort he got will get dry hopped tonight with an ounce of Chinook and will get bottled on Oct 4th. The air lock finally stopped bubbling just last week. Will give it a taste and a hydro test... and report back.

I seek not a hobby to fill my time; I seek a passion to fill my life!

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/base...-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

Old 09-27-2011, 12:08 AM   #15
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

I think the starting gravity was supposed to about 1.075. Had a taste and it's ok at this point. I gotta think that if it didn't have some of the ingredients we put in there, it would be a bit hot right now.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:37 AM   #16
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Care to share your mystery additional ingredients? I understand if you're still keeping it a secret, I'm just a curious kind of guy. I didn't add anything really unusual myself, just kind of combined a couple different recipes - the grain bill of a brown ale plus a little honey, hopped like an IPA. When I heard about the first competition last year, I figured they would just be looking for the most strange/outrageous beer as the winner. But a pretty standard IPA won. The thing I really love about this competition is that it's nice to not have to worry about strict adherance to any style.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:06 PM   #17
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Let me check with my partner on the secrecy. I don't care personally, it's just a recipe, but he might want to take this pro...

I agree on the winner last year. I mean, come on. Bells makes some good IPAs. Did they really need to choose ANOTHER IPA for the winner? Was there really nothing unusual and tasty besides a hoppy Pale?

That said, one of our beers is a hoppy ale. I don't expect to win, but I'll be curious to see what the hops taste like in it. It's technically a SMaSH IIRC.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #18
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Everyone get their beers turned in yesterday? I got up there around 8:30 last night - just in time. The beers have actually already been judged, I was told they would be doing it at about noon today. But we'll have to wait until all stouts day on November 6th to hear the results. I'll be there for sure, for the results and to drink some stout. Who else is planning on attending? Good luck to everyone, hopefully congratulations will be in order for one of us on the 6th!

*BTW, I turned in the brown ale dry hopped with 369 and fermented with Bell's house yeast. It turned out really well, nice strong hop flavor and aroma and some nice roastiness and full body to balance things out.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:04 PM   #19
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

BrewerinBR was supposed to go down and drop the beers off. I am not sure I'll make it for All stouts day, since I have teenage kids and things to do. I'd love to see a lost of entries, just to see what people made with their wort.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #20
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Judging by the lack of activity on this thread since the winners were announced, none of us won (or placed or were honorably mentioned). I guess we're all winners in a way though - we all got 5 gallons of free wort from a great brewery. And I know this will sound like sour grapes, but YET ANOTHER IPA ended up winning. Guess I know now what style is required to win this thing. They should call it "Bell's annual IPA brewing contest".

Quick Reply