Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Indiana HomeBrew Forum > 2011 NHC Indianapolis?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
Bokonon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklawz View Post
I guess starting next year it's going to be an online exam. If you pass, then you go and do the tasting/judging somewhere. I dont know all the details....
All the details aren't finalized yet but some info is here: http://www.bjcp.org/docs/newexam.pdf

I wish there was some consistency/policy in place for informing entrants if they made it to the second round. Some regions have it marked on the score sheet, someone else said they received emails of people advancing, the Seattle area hasn't revealed who is advancing. I don't mind waiting for the big announcement but I think everyone should be on the same footing, either everyone finds out with the scoresheets or nobody finds out with the scoresheets.

I have one beer I was considering re-brewing and if I knew it advanced I would find time to do it but for the most part I've decided not to brew for another couple weeks till after my BJCP test. I need to be studying rather than brewing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #12
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
I've heard it's a total nightmare. Super shortage of judges. There was a night that the judges got kicked out of the building they were using in the middle of the BOS round. The beers sat overnight, un-capped till the next morning.

As for the judge shortage, I've been trying for four years to take the exam. Knocking the exam participants to 12 per exam is killing prospective judges. The spots are filled out before they're even posted on the BJCP site. I've been on waiting lists for three exams now and have had no luck getting a spot. I would have showed.
I feel your pain. I have 'only' been trying for about a year and a half but you're right, all 12 spots are always already filled before it even makes the BJCP 'scheduled exams' page.

Also heard that story about the NE NHC first round cluster****. Some people need to be chased around with a stick.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 04-29-2011, 01:18 PM   #13
Ender
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Got my score sheets back from Indy. out of 6 entries only one advanced. An Alt.

Ender

I'm Smelling a lot of IF coming offa this plan

Old 04-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #14
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
Got my score sheets back from Indy. out of 6 entries only one advanced. An Alt.
about 11.2% of entries advance (84/750) and about 16.67% of your entries advanced (1/6).

I think it's harder to advance this year than in many previous years as many regions used to hang out around 500-600 entries. 750 is a lot more. I like to think of the proportion of entries I advanced vs the average as the key metric to how well I did. Few people with more than a few entries will get that number much above 2.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #15
mklawz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I got 3 thru with a 4th making it to mini-BOS but not advancing. Darn, I wanted that one thru more than any other!

Old 04-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #16
hatfieldenator
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Got my scoresheets the other day too. Although I'm pleased with my scores, especially my IPA (37.5), none of my entries placed
The beers that placed must have had scores in the 40s I would guess?

Old 04-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #17
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 177 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I briefly listened to the Best of Show evaluations for the IPA's and there were a lot of beers in front of those judges. The typical rule of thumb was to advance 3 beers at the most from each flight. I know there are typically a lot of PA and IPA in any competition, and it appeared that this was the case. Given that 37.5 score, your beer was probably on that table. Still something to be proud of.

I've had a beer in competition score 42 and not even place. Competition!

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Quick Reply