Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Indiana HomeBrew Forum > 2011 NHC Indianapolis?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
hatfieldenator
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default 2011 NHC Indianapolis?

Has anyone heard back about their scores yet? I see that the results have been sent to AHA already, so I'm assuming the scoresheets should have been mailed by now too?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 24

The poor judge turn out for the Indy Regional delayed the completion of scoring by 2 days. I judged 5 sessions over the course of 4 days. Its a darn shame that more judges didn't make the trip, but its a serious cost and the only thing a judge gets out of the deal is a small door prize and a single lunch. AHA has to up the support they provide to these contests and better compensate the judges and staff that put them on. That has to mean that entry fees need to go up.

I can't blame any of the judges in the midwest that did not make the trip. Its not worth it. Altruism only goes so far.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 04-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
hatfieldenator
Recipes 

Darn, well that's a shame. I'd like to start getting in to judging soon so I can help out with these competitions too. I can't see how they'll be able to raise the cost of entering much more. Its already an expensive competition to enter compared to many of the smaller, more local contests.
Oh well, I guess I won't be holding my breath waiting for the scoresheets.

Thanks for the response

Old 04-25-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
mklawz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No scoresheets back here either. I've heard from several sources that there were many no-shows. Judges who signed-up but just didn't show. That puts the organizers in a bind and the entire event in jeopardy. Shame on Indiana! I dont think paying the judges is the answer though. I think holding it a larger metropolitan area, such as Chicago, would attract more judges just by population density alone.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklawz View Post
No scoresheets back here either. I've heard from several sources that there were many no-shows. Judges who signed-up but just didn't show. That puts the organizers in a bind and the entire event in jeopardy. Shame on Indiana! I dont think paying the judges is the answer though. I think holding it a larger metropolitan area, such as Chicago, would attract more judges just by population density alone.
You would think that was the case, but the last years of the Chicago regional were judge challenged too. Some judges are not willing to make the commitment in time and money when all the reward is are a few judging points and a lunch. I would hardly refer to it as paying. In the case of the out of towners, its partial reimbursement for the expenses they incur to attend the contest. I only had to drive 15 miles, I don't think I needed to be reimbursed. But I do think that if more judges would have been willing to make the trip, my contribution to the contest would have been 3 sessions over 2 days instead of 5 sessions over 4 days.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 04-25-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Looks like New York (Sarasota Springs) is continued through April 30th! This is absurd. My best chance entry was a late hopped beer. I don't have plans to brew that recipe again but could have bumped another I had planned to get it done if I had advanced. There's no way to turn it around in time for the May 20th submission deadline if I wait until the results come back.

I think I'm going to give up on contests for a while again...

Old 04-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #7
mklawz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

It's particularly absurd if you consider that results are already known from Seattle and Denver. I have a few entries I would need to re-brew as well. I guess the lesson here is dont enter something that you dont have enough set aside already. And dont count on an opportunity to rebrew.

BTW, Mabrungard, thanks for your efforts and commitment. I take my hat off to those who volunteer. I recently worked my first comp, and while I enjoyed it, it's not something I would do very often. I also just took the BJCP exam so I do plan on 'giving back' by judging when I can. It does seem pretty thankless.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:36 PM   #8
hatfieldenator
Recipes 

Do you think its a matter of how much "beer culture" there is in each paticular region? It seems like the more active, happening beer regions are the ones that would have more judge participation. Just a thought?

Old 04-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #9
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief_Brewing View Post
Looks like New York (Sarasota Springs) is continued through April 30th! This is absurd. My best chance entry was a late hopped beer. I don't have plans to brew that recipe again but could have bumped another I had planned to get it done if I had advanced. There's no way to turn it around in time for the May 20th submission deadline if I wait until the results come back.

I think I'm going to give up on contests for a while again...
I've heard it's a total nightmare. Super shortage of judges. There was a night that the judges got kicked out of the building they were using in the middle of the BOS round. The beers sat overnight, un-capped till the next morning.

As for the judge shortage, I've been trying for four years to take the exam. Knocking the exam participants to 12 per exam is killing prospective judges. The spots are filled out before they're even posted on the BJCP site. I've been on waiting lists for three exams now and have had no luck getting a spot. I would have showed.

On Deck: IPA
Primary 1: Air :-(
Primary 2: Air :-(
Primary 3: Air :-(
Primary 4: Air :-(

Bottled: Oatmeal Stout

Old 04-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #10
mklawz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
As for the judge shortage, I've been trying for four years to take the exam. Knocking the exam participants to 12 per exam is killing prospective judges.
I guess starting next year it's going to be an online exam. If you pass, then you go and do the tasting/judging somewhere. I dont know all the details....

Quick Reply