Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Illinois HomeBrew Forum > North Aurora (IL) Beer Fest

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2007, 08:51 PM   #11
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Thanks for the review! A few things came up for me and I couldn't attend afterall, unfortunately. However, I've tried most of the beers you mentioned, so I thought I would comment on two of them.

First, Domaine DuPage on tap is a very fine, outstanding, beer. However, it isn't all that great in bottles. The flavor profile changes quite a bit. However, right across the parking lot from RBB in Warrenville, there is a "TGIFriday's-type-of-place" which had Domaine DuPage on tap and it was a vastly superior beer to the bottled version.

The second comment I wanted to make is that the aroma of The Roundhouse's Chocolate Pale Ale is much more Chocolatey than vanilla-like. I think your eyes tricked you into expecting vanilla. The aroma is pure chocolate. However, it doesn't come through all that much into the flavor, so I understand how that could be mistaken for vanilla.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2007, 02:03 PM   #12
Rhoobarb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Squirrels
...The second comment I wanted to make is that the aroma of The Roundhouse's Chocolate Pale Ale is much more Chocolatey than vanilla-like. I think your eyes tricked you into expecting vanilla. ...
Trust me, this keg smelled and really tasted like vanilla. I remembered having it last year at a fest in Elgin next to the Prairie Rock and really liked it b/c of the chocolate. So, I was looking forward to having it again. But this time, it just wasn't the same at all. It wasn't just me, several people I spoke to (there was a lot of time standing in line at the porta-potties, so people had time to compare notes) had the same impression. Chocolate in beer is a flavor I really enjoy. Vanilla, not so much.

I agree on the Domaine DuPage. You have to get really fresh bottles to rival the taste on tap, and still, it's better on tap, IMHO. I'd never had it on tap until I ordered a keg of it and their Brown Ale for a party I had. Man, was that keg popular!

Last edited by Rhoobarb; 08-08-2007 at 02:23 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply