The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Illinois HomeBrew Forum > I may be moving to Chicago! but I need help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #21
uncleben113
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrewski

Or you can use car services like zipcar.
I'll have to check this out a little more. I'm trying the check out their website but I'm in the middle of nowhere Arkansas. What sets this apart from other rental places?

I'll have to check out north center too. As long as I have some things to do within a few blocks of biking distance as well as pretty close to one of the major transit lines then I would be happy.

Fermenting: German Hefeweizen
Fermenting: Cream Ale
Fermenting: Edwort's Apfelwein
Aging: Dry Mead
Aging: Sweet Mead
Aging: JAOM
Aging: Blueberry Melomel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #22
kjung
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrewski View Post
I lived basically at Damen and Cullom, block south of Montrose. Right in that same area.

As far as HBS, I go the the Brew and Grow on Kedzie just north of Addison, that place is most excellent and they will work with you to get stuff they don't have in the store. Where is the store you mention?
I've had some bad issues at the Kedzie B&G, getting bad advice and info from them.

The place in NorthCenter is called Brew Camp. They're on Belle Plaine, between Lincoln and Hoyne. I haven't been in there yet, (I haven't had time to venture up to the old 'hood lately) but I have heard good things about them. They're on FB, also.

Be careful what you wish for, friend, 'cause I've been to Hell, and now I'm back again- Steve Earle

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-
Albert Einstein

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"- Einstein, again

Old 04-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #23
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjung View Post
I've had some bad issues at the Kedzie B&G, getting bad advice and info from them.
yeah, they're nice folks, there are some of them more knowledgeable than others. I wouldn't say go there for advice, but the supplies are pretty complete.

I will check out the other place, thanks for the tip!

Old 04-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #24
forstmeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjung View Post

The place in NorthCenter is called Brew Camp. They're on Belle Plaine, between Lincoln and Hoyne. I haven't been in there yet, (I haven't had time to venture up to the old 'hood lately) but I have heard good things about them. They're on FB, also.
I also have bad luck going to B&G. They never seem to have time to help out and make out like is an inconvenience to answer questions. There is really only a couple people who work on the brew side and are not always available.

I have started buying at Brew Camp. The staff is super friendly and helpful. I email my order to them and they have it waiting for me to pick up when specified. They offer a 5% discount if you check in on Foursquare, which adds up pretty quick when you brew often enough. The selection has greatly improved since they opened as well. Their website sucks unfortunately and doesn't offer any kind of inventory information, but maybe that will change.

I drink (homebrew), therefore I am (gassy)

Old 04-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #25
jwic
Recipes 

Check out Logan Square, somewhere along the blue line. You'll have Revolution and Boiler Room not too far from you (two excellent beer places) and you can be downtown at school in 20 minutes.

T: @CHAOSBrewClub
F: facebook.com/CHAOSBrewClub

Old 05-05-2012, 12:26 AM   #26
adman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Another vote for Logan Square. Good restaurants and bars (although not nearly as many as in Wrigleyville/Lakeview), easy street parking, and the fastest EL trip downtown via the Blue Line. Plus, the Blue Line goes straight to O'Hare for when you're traveling or have friends visiting.

On the other hand, Wrigleyville and Lakeview are a lot of fun, particularly if you're in your (early to mid) 20s.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:37 AM   #27
Uziyahu
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I live up in the Ravenswood area by Ashland and Montrose. This area has good street parking with relatively cheap rent. It's close to Wrigleyville, Andersonville, Lakeview, and some of the more highly populated areas, but without the cost. The brown line gets me downtown or there's an express bus with a route that starts only a block away so the seats are always open.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #28
uncleben113
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adman View Post
Another vote for Logan Square. Good restaurants and bars (although not nearly as many as in Wrigleyville/Lakeview), easy street parking, and the fastest EL trip downtown via the Blue Line. Plus, the Blue Line goes straight to O'Hare for when you're traveling or have friends visiting.

On the other hand, Wrigleyville and Lakeview are a lot of fun, particularly if you're in your (early to mid) 20s.
I'll definitely have to look into logan square. Easy access to O'Hare is a big plus for me but I also would love to be in Lakeview/Wrigleyville. I've still got about 3 months to decide, though.

I thought about trying to find some roommates for a few months until I find a place that I liked and can afford. Since I currently live 13 hours away, touring a lot of apts isn't really an option and most leases run for a year so I'd rather not be stuck in a place I don't like for that long

Old 05-06-2012, 12:33 AM   #29
forstmeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uziyahu View Post
I live up in the Ravenswood area by Ashland and Montrose. This area has good street parking with relatively cheap rent. It's close to Wrigleyville, Andersonville, Lakeview, and some of the more highly populated areas, but without the cost. The brown line gets me downtown or there's an express bus with a route that starts only a block away so the seats are always open.
You and I are only about a mile apart. Maybe we should get together sometime and swap some homebrew...I am near Foster and Leavitt

I drink (homebrew), therefore I am (gassy)

Old 08-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #30
uncleben113
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I just want to say thanks for all of the advice you guys gave me a while back. I've moved up to Chicago now and been living here for about a month. I wound up in Lakeview and I absolutely love it.

Unfortunately I couldn't bring any of my homebrew equipment so I'm kind of out of the hobby for the time being. I'll still be looking for a club though to join soon because I miss it a ton already.

Well thanks again and maybe I'll see some of you around

Quick Reply