New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Illinois HomeBrew Forum > I may be moving to Chicago! but I need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
uncleben113
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default I may be moving to Chicago! but I need help

I just found out that I was accepted into Roosevelt University's graduate school and I'm planning on moving within the next couple of months. I've been doing a lot of research on the city and surrounding neighborhoods but I'm not really sure where I should move.

What are some good places to live that I'm not going to pay out the wazoo for? I'd like something close to the campus which is next to millennium park or something close to some good transportation

I'm actually visiting the school and city this weekend so I plan on checking out the neighborhoods while I'm there.

So far I've found some cheap places that seem pretty nice in Wrigleyville, Ukrainian Village, and Edgewater. Are these ok places to live?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Primary:Traditional Dry Mead, Traditional Sweet Mead, JAOM, Blueberry Melomel, Edwort's Apfelwein

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
forstmeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Those are fine neighborhoods. UV is a little dicey in spots, but overall good. Check out Ravenswood, the east parts by the red line are inexpensive and quiet. I live very near Edgewater and its quiet and cheap. Andersonville is an expensive section of Edgewater and where all of the nightlife is at.

Congrats and good luck in school.

I drink (homebrew), therefore I am (gassy)

Old 04-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
uncleben113
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for your help. I've heard that a little about UV but I've also heard that it is great.

I'm also interested in Lakeview. It seems like a nice place and I've found a few cheap spots. What's it like there?

Primary:Traditional Dry Mead, Traditional Sweet Mead, JAOM, Blueberry Melomel, Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 04-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
forstmeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Lakeview and wrigleyville are interchangeable. They are too expensive for my family and not really my scene either. I enjoy hanging out there occasionally, but prefer quiet and homebrew more than the party scene.

Uptown has some good areas and is on the red line too. Rogers park is far north but cheap and is gentrifying quickly.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:42 AM   #5
koch711
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I'd bypass Uptown unless you are really budget limited. Nice residents for the most part, but too many transients and crime for a northside neighborhood.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:48 AM   #6
forstmeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I know that uptown has problems. I wouldnt live there, but not everyone feels the same obviously. For OP, you should obviously focus close to school or transit, unless you plan on driving everywhere. I think the area around damen and wilson is a great neighborhood, right on the brown line, and still pretty cheap.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:16 AM   #7
acidrain23
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I recommend Avondale. It is a great place, still 'up and coming'- unlikely to majorly gentrify anytime soon (and thus get more expensive). It has plenty of culture and is very diverse (one of the most diverse neighborhoods in Chicago) Polish, Hispanic, Asian, lots of college students, lots of families. It is relatively safe (don't walk down dark alleys at night by yourself obviously, but that applies to any neighborhood in a major metropolitan area). Avondale intersects the blue line which will take you directly downtown (you can transfer to the redline to get to Roosevelt easily). Not to mention, we have a fantastic homebrew and hydroponics shop, the Brew and Grow on Kedzie which is very handy!

Old 04-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
forstmeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrain23
I recommend Avondale. It is a great place, still 'up and coming'- unlikely to majorly gentrify anytime soon (and thus get more expensive). It has plenty of culture and is very diverse (one of the most diverse neighborhoods in Chicago) Polish, Hispanic, Asian, lots of college students, lots of families. It is relatively safe (don't walk down dark alleys at night by yourself obviously, but that applies to any neighborhood in a major metropolitan area). Avondale intersects the blue line which will take you directly downtown (you can transfer to the redline to get to Roosevelt easily). Not to mention, we have a fantastic homebrew and hydroponics shop, the Brew and Grow on Kedzie which is very handy!
I have several friends in Avondale, right by brew n grow. I like that area too, but didnt even think about it since its pretty far west of OP's school.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #9
Niilo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Honestly anything near the redline would be great for you. Don't do Uptown as others have stated. That place is sketchy. I live in east Lakeview and it's an easy commute downtown. Tons of buses take you straight down Michigan Ave and the redline is 3 blocks away. If you have some time to kill today my brew club here in Chicago is having a shoot out style brew competition. It's in West Town by the Twisted Spoke. PM me if you're interested. It's a quick bus ride west on Grand Ave. it's at our community brew house!

Old 04-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #10
uncleben113
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the great info. I'll try to stay away from uptown but avondale does sound nice. Anything with a homebrew shop is a big plus.

I'll have to look into the public transportation up there as I am clueless about it right now but anything close to a line that would take me close to Roosevelt would be great.

I found a few nice apartments in east Lakeview yesterday. I think I'm getting a tour of one on Monday.

How are the areas south of Chicago? I've heard a lot of mixed reviews

Quick Reply