Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Illinois HomeBrew Forum > Haymarket, Chicago, IL

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2022 Times on 1454 Posts
Likes Given: 1108

Default Haymarket, Chicago, IL

Went to Chicago this weekend for Spring Break with the kids. Had a good time at a couple of Museums. AND I got to spend a few minutes at the Haymarket Brewing Company!

I managed to be allowed on 1 brewpub on this trip, and I chose the Maymarket due to it's proximity to the hotel and the recommendations by members here, not to mention they have Vegan offerings, which helped my oldest who is going meatless for Lent.

We arrive and it's a 45 minute wait for a table. Wife is not happy. It's not as family oriented as I may have led her to believe... And the Wings were on the tube, playing the Blackhawks, and already down 3-0 in the 1st...

We finally get a seat and long story short, after trading food, we all get something to eat. I thought the food was pretty good, but the bean burger my daughter ordered didn't taste good to her. My wife's burger with pulled pork was VERY good.

On to the beer. I ordered a small glass of wit and a small glass of Saison. The wit was decent, but tasted sort of like a Hefe to me. I saw they put ginger in and maybe that was what I tasted. The Saison was very good. I was really looking forward to the IIPA, though, so I cruised through it pretty quick. The IIPA was very good. Served in a tulip glass and pretty much hit the style very well. The aroma was light, but I think that's me. I seem to be less able to smell hops aroma lately. Luckily this did not also happen to the taste! The only complaint is that it is claimed to be 10% and I did not sense that in the taste or in the affect.

I really liked the place and the atmosphere. It was a bit crowded and buys, but what woudl you expect on a Friday night in the city?? Next time I might choose to try a pizza. The people next to us had one and it looked so good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I checked out Haymarket about a month ago. The only reason I walked in the door was because I had heard it was run by the old brewer from Rock Bottom.

I wasn't impressed with the beer, but the food was great. I also had a long wait, but that's to be expected in that area of Chicago.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 04-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

I wish I'd had time to sample even more. I didn't want to push it having to get up and tour museums the next day, and the wife was already not exactly enthusiastic about taking the kids to a "bar".

Old 04-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
kjung
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I stopped in there a few weeks ago. I met and talked to Pete Crowley, the owner/brewmaster. I had a great conversation with him, after I told him that I was a home brewer. He gave me a couple of samples of things that I hadn't tried yet, and even gave me a sample of something that he had just tapped (like, 20 minutes before!), and wasn't putting on sale until the next day.
I was impressed by the fact that someone as busy as he must have been took a good half-hour to talk to someone like me.

Be careful what you wish for, friend, 'cause I've been to Hell, and now I'm back again- Steve Earle

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-
Albert Einstein

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"- Einstein, again

Old 04-18-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Yeah, we went in on a friday night, and the brewer was hauling a Co2 tank up to be refilled and I asked how things were going and what was good, and after a bit he came back up and stopped by our table and chatted for a few more minutes.

It's the little things like that that can make a good impression. I let him know that I chose his place due to the advice of people on here.

Quick Reply