Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Illinois HomeBrew Forum > Did anyone attend the B.U.Z.Z Boneyard Brew-Off?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #41
AnthonyB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Greetings,

I will try to address the major issues/gripes being brought up.

Where are my scoresheets!? Why is it taking so long!? Why aren't my emails being answered!?
Last year when I organized, the scoresheets were sent out the first week of July. We are a few days beyond that, but I don't feel like we are really outside of the norm here. I've entered many, many competitions in the midwest where the scoresheets arrive 45+ days after the competition.

Believe it or not, I was not actually planning on organizing this year's competition because I knew I would have absolutely no time to devote to it. But when nobody else volunteered, as club president, it fell to me. Right now I am working 65+ hour work weeks trying to get a big project at work done (even worked through this last holiday weekend). And while I sympathize with you regarding paying for entries, scoresheets, etc. I am a volunteer for BUZZ, not a paid employee, and I just have not had the time to devote to this item involving the competition.

I'm not trying to slight anyone, but I'm not answering anyone's emails (including things not even related to the comp), I'm just too busy. You'll be happy to know, I've sent a response to everyone who recently emailed (I *think* I got you all, may have missed one or two) me.

This competition was biased, look how many ribbons the organizer took! This wasn't a fair, blind comp!
I've entered my fair share of competitions. Last year I lost the Midwest Homebrewer of the Year title by one ribbon. This year I also took a 2nd place medal in the MCAB for my ordinary bitter (which I had qualified for with a 1st place ribbon at Drunk Monk the year before). I've definitely had my share of wins (and losses!).

To infer that these results are somehow related to me organizing the competition is really a demonstration of ignorance on how our particular competition is organized. And it really is offensive. Besides the organizer, there are 3 other positions, head judge, head steward, and registrar. This year's head judge was a Nationally Ranked BJCP judge, who's job it was to arrange the flights, split tables, etc. based on what judges we had (and what they indicated they couldn't judge on their judge registration form). On the day of the competition, I essentially deferred all operational matters to the head judge and the head steward, I had very little involvement outside of my organizer's table.

Statistically, there is always some amount of home court advantage. However, for anyone who still doubts my brewing prowess, suggest a competition and a category, and I will be happy to send an entry to meet yours.

Geez, where is the good news in all of this?
Two items: One, I will not be organizing next year. Two, I should have the ribbons,scoresheets, etc. sent out soon.

I will try to reply again in this forum if it is warranted. But please take away from this that you have my apologies for not getting back to the emails sooner, and just in general about the delays regarding the scoresheets.

Cheers,
Anthony

Reason: .. didn't realize this forum required mod approval for posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #42
Spauldib
Recipes 

Have all scoresheets and ribbons now been mailed?

I've yet to receive a packet, although two other brewers in my club have. Perhaps something got lost in the mail, or they are being shipped separately?
Thanks

Old 07-16-2009, 09:04 PM   #43
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I received my ribbon and scorecards in the mail yesterday, so be on the look out, they're on their way.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:09 PM   #44
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 585 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 220

I got mine last week:

Old 07-16-2009, 09:52 PM   #45
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

CONGRATS!

I talked to a guy I know down state and he said the judges are brought in and are very meticulous and anal. I know my score card proved it. He also said that the guys in BUZZ do brew up some really good brews. So it sounds like that Champion plaque was well earned.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:24 AM   #46
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
I got mine last week:

Ha, so I have tasted BM's beer and didn't even know it.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #47
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 585 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k View Post
Ha, so I have tasted BM's beer and didn't even know it.
And that was probably a good thing...

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 06-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #48
Spauldib
Recipes 

A quick bump on this old thread...

Anyone attend the 2010, 16th Buzz Boneyard Brew-Off and have any insight on results?

Hopefully this won't take as long as last year.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:50 AM   #49
mklawz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ha! I was wondering if this thread would re-appear!

I skipped it this year. Partially because of the poor response times last year, and partially because Im just spending too much money and effort on comps lately.

Good luck with the results, Spaulding!

Old 06-08-2010, 05:25 AM   #50
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

I was there. Judged "Normal" Stouts on Friday, Then Imperial, IPA's and the high gravity thingy Saturday. I think we gave a RIS and an IPA a score in the 40's otherwise nothing that was extremely memorable. A lot of the IPA's were bitterly astringent - like clearly from too much hop bitterness and many were lacking hop flavor, which was interesting. Good bit of cardboard was showing up here and there in the styles I judged. Something I noticed lacking from a lot of the RIS was a dark fruit flavor. It's not supposed to be all up front, but completely missing, the beer then lacks some complexity. Something to think about if you are entering a RIS for a competition. I think a lot of people think a RIS is just a big fricken american or fex stout... which it really isn't. There's a lot more going on.

BOS went to a Black IPA, which also won the Longshot regional that day and BOS in another competition in Wisconsin all that same day.(from what I hear.) Runner up to that I think was a Lemongrass wheat and I can't remember the third... want to say some barrel aged porter or maybe even a mead.

From talking to one of the guys who did the mead judging, he said, for the most part they were all outstanding.

There was a Marzen and a strong scotch that got first in it's category that I got to taste the dregs of, and both were outstanding.

The high gravity winner was a Barleywine runner up was an old ale, both of those guys were present.

Had a pretty good set of judges. A Nationally ranked one or two, and a master - Jeff Sparrow, which was cool to get to talk to him a bit. I also judged with a Nationally ranked judge and our scores before we conversed were always within a point, which was cool.

I'm sure the results will be up in a few days.

Quick Reply