Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Illinois HomeBrew Forum > Chicago - Wrigley-ville?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2006, 02:55 AM   #1
todd_k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Chicago - Wrigley-ville?

Any cool bars or breweries in Chicago around Wrigleyville, besides Harry Carey's? I'm heading out there in a few weeks for my sister-in-laws grad school graduation.

I also want to hit up Ditka's since I'm a Bears fan.

Just got my Reds vs Cubs tickets in the mail!

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:
Kegged:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2006, 01:44 PM   #2
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I'm a Sox fan that lived near that area for many years. Most of the bars in that part of town, the Cubby Bear, Yak-Zies, Murphy's Bleachers, etc., are woefully overrated. But the best place, IMHO, and must-stop for beer lovers, is Goose Island Wrigleyville. It is a few steps from Wrigley on Clark and the beer is better and, believe it or not, cheaper than all the other bars around the ballpark that sell primary BudMillerCoors in plastic cups.

There are no breweries that give tours in the city, AFAIK. But there are some great beer bars not too far from the park. Here's some links:

The Map Room
Hop Leaf
Piece Brewery and Pizzeria
Jak's Tap in the Loop
and if you want to hop the Metra Electric line and head to the south 'burbs, the best brewpub in the midwest, IMHO, Flossmoor Station.

A great place with a large beer selection is Sam's on Marcey St., just off of Clybourn St. near the original Goose Island.

Hope that helps. I'm sure others will chime in with some places I've overlooked. Enjoy your trip!

Old 04-09-2006, 03:56 PM   #3
AHammer16

Recipes 

Go to goose island! Evey thing aroud there is swill, old pile, miller and bud. It gets insane after a game in that area. There is a good calm English pub restraunt about 1 block south of Wrigley on the east side of Clark. That is were I go after every game. But if you want a frat party feel then go just north on clark to Bernies. They have an outdoor area. If you need more info, I'm here.

one chants out between two worlds
Fire - walk with me."

Old 04-12-2006, 04:17 AM   #4
MrSaLTy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoobarb
and if you want to hop the Metra Electric line and head to the south 'burbs, the best brewpub in the midwest, IMHO, Flossmoor Station.
I live about a mile from Flossmoor station and they really do have great beer. (great burgers too) I totally love the pulman nutbrown they brew and really dug the Ironhorse stout but they hardly ever have that anymore.

Old 04-13-2006, 03:34 AM   #5
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaLTy
I live about a mile from Flossmoor station and they really do have great beer. (great burgers too) I totally love the pulman nutbrown they brew and really dug the Ironhorse stout but they hardly ever have that anymore.
Oh, man - we need to organize a meet there sometime. My girlfriend lives ~ 10 mins. from the place and we both love it. She made a friend of brewmaster Matt Van Wyk one night when she was there without me - he recalled her from the brewery tour we did there one Sunday - and got a free sample of nearly everything! We love the Gandy Dancer Honey Ale and even tried to brew a clone recently. Still too early to tell if we were close. The X-IPA is a hop lovers delight and another favorite! I check their BrewBlog regularly.

Old 04-13-2006, 05:50 PM   #6
MrSaLTy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I have never been there when the brewers were there although I'm usually there only at night. I should take the tour though... I dodn't even know they had one..... I usually busy drinking the beer.

Old 04-13-2006, 06:11 PM   #7
skifast1

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoobarb
My girlfriend lives ~ 10 mins. from the place and we both love it. She made a friend of brewmaster Matt Van Wyk one night when she was there without me - he recalled her from the brewery tour we did there one Sunday ...
That doesn't happen to be your gf in your avatar, does it? No wonder Matt remembered her!

Primary: echos
Secondary: Nukey Brown
Keg 1: echos
Keg 2: echos
Bottled: Wind 'er Up Winter Ale

Old 04-14-2006, 01:08 AM   #8
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skifast1
That doesn't happen to be your gf in your avatar, does it? No wonder Matt remembered her!
She is a natural blonde, and she is cute, but no, that ain't her. Their brewmaster, Matt, is usually there behind the bar in the evenings on Friday nights.

They give tours every last Sunday of the month. Here's the info. It's worth it for the free tasting. Matt pours something like 5 or 6 pitchers of brew, pours samples of each, then leaves the pitchers on the table for all to finish off! On our tour there were only 6 people of drinking age and two of them - an older couple - left the remaining pitchers with us. You do the math!

Old 04-14-2006, 01:11 AM   #9
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 52 Posts

I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread....... I'm heading down to Wrigley in a couple of weeks to see the Brewers crush the Chubs (hopefully) and hit a couple of spots in the process......I'll have to give Goose Island a visit. Any other ideas post them please I'm interested!

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 04-23-2006, 05:17 PM   #10
AHammer16

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablrbrau
I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread....... I'm heading down to Wrigley in a couple of weeks to see the Brewers crush the Chubs (hopefully) and hit a couple of spots in the process......I'll have to give Goose Island a visit. Any other ideas post them please I'm interested!
Keep on dreaming. Go Cubs!

one chants out between two worlds
Fire - walk with me."

Quick Reply