Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Illinois HomeBrew Forum > Chicago - where to go?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009, 03:09 PM   #1
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3502 Times on 3393 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Chicago - where to go?

I'm going to be in Chicago on Friday night, 11/20. Looking for suggestions about where to get good food and, more importantly, good beer. I'm staying out near O'Hare but am not averse to fighting that god-awful traffic to get downtown, if necessary.

It would be cool if anybody's free to meet up, too. I'll be with a couple other sportswriter types, but we're generally decent people.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
jtlawlor
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I recommend you hop on the Blue Line CTA at O'Hare to Chicago (one way is around $3) - get off at Clark and Lake St. - walk or cab about 6 blocks NORTH - and you will be in the heart some of Chicago's best food. Personally, I am a huge fan of Uno's/Due's Pizza - but there is a massive amount of places to visit:

Rock Bottom BrewPub - decent.
Fado's - good bar.
House of Blues - Music
Also, if you want to see Chicago at night - goto the Hancock and goto the Signature Room (98th floor) - they have a bar, great view. FREE to go up to the bar.

CTA Train Map:
http://maill.transitchicago.com/asse...tatrainmap.png

Google Map of Clark and Lake (see just north)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=clark+and+lake+chicago+il.&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=48.956293,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=W+Lake+St+%26+N+Clark+St,+Chicago,+Cook,+Illinois+60601&ll=41.888685,-87.630043&spn=0.011326,0.01929&t=h&z=16

Primary: always something...

Brewed: Scottish Ale 80 - Ode to Arthur Stout - Benrath Alt - Araucania Huaso Wit - Two Hearted Ale - Dark Star Porter - Yoopers Dead Guy Ale - Cassandra the Dark, Russian Imp. Stout - Yooper's Fat Tire - Scott-A-Tron IPA - Orange Kolsch - I69PA - Rye Opener - Lick Me I am an Irish Stout - Fat Thaddeus the Third Triple - Holy ESB of Antioch

*Member of PALE (Plainfield Ale and Lager Enthusiasts)

O'Leathlobhair Brewery

Old 11-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
OLB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Goose Island on Clybourne has great beer and the food is also very good. The Map Room and Hop Leaf are also great beer bars with excellent selections. Goose Island is close to a Red line station, so you might be able to take the train.

If you want to stay close, there is a Ram Brewery almost walking distance from several of the O'hare area hotels. Friday rush hour traffic from O'Hare is no joke, don't underestimate it. Let me know where you guys are going to be, I might be able to stop by.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Thanks for the help. I'm going to steer clear of Uno's only because we have plenty of them here. I'll formulate a plan from there.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 935 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

I'm booked up on Friday night, but hope you have fun.

+1 on the suggestions regarding Goose Island. There are beers there not available in the stores. Good pub food, too.

+1 on the advice regarding taking the train - if you are comfortable with urban areas and mass transit. It makes life sooo much easier. Even if you end up taking a train downtown and then hopping a cab to your final destination - not too expensive and much nicer than driving in on the Kennedy.

Ok, now some new suggestions for you! First is the Publican. From their website "From the team that created Blackbird and avec restaurants, The Publican is a new beer-focused restaurant located at 845 W. Fulton in Chicago. Executive Chef Paul Kahan and Chef de Cuisine Brian Huston crafted an eclectic menu inspired by simple farmhouse fare in a space evocative of a European beer hall." Its in an area sometimes called the Fulton Market area. Very fun, good food, lots of Belgian and French ales. Not inexpensive, though.

Second, Brassiere Jo, downtown-ish in an area called River North (interestingly, just north of the river). Big french-style brassiere with outstanding food and a great beer menu, which you can see here http://www.brasseriejo.com/pdf/beer_menu.pdf Again, not inexpensive but a good place for a celebration or special night out.

Its Chicago, so the list is endless, but I'll let others pipe in now . . .

Old 11-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #6
ytsejam
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here's my standard response to those traveling to Chicago:
http://www.rtachicago.com/
nice public transit trip planner there
Blue line from O Hare to Western ave, then bus or walk down Armatige to Hoyne and you're at the Map Room
They have free food (ribs!!!) catered in on weekend afternoons.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #7
jtlawlor
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

FYI: not sure if you will get this or not... but today (Fri) at "Bear and Bull" - a local sports radio station (the Score) is doing a remote... might be interesting for sportswriter types... hehehe.

Primary: always something...

Brewed: Scottish Ale 80 - Ode to Arthur Stout - Benrath Alt - Araucania Huaso Wit - Two Hearted Ale - Dark Star Porter - Yoopers Dead Guy Ale - Cassandra the Dark, Russian Imp. Stout - Yooper's Fat Tire - Scott-A-Tron IPA - Orange Kolsch - I69PA - Rye Opener - Lick Me I am an Irish Stout - Fat Thaddeus the Third Triple - Holy ESB of Antioch

*Member of PALE (Plainfield Ale and Lager Enthusiasts)

O'Leathlobhair Brewery

Old 11-20-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shecky View Post
Thanks for the help. I'm going to steer clear of Uno's only because we have plenty of them here. I'll formulate a plan from there.
Unos the chain is nothing like Unos the Pizzaria. The two restaurants downtown serve only deep dish (and deep dish in chicago isn't like deepdish in the chain).

I'm a big fan of Piece (on North). Great pizza, great in house brewed beer.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:08 PM   #9
mklawz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
Unos the chain is nothing like Unos the Pizzaria. The two restaurants downtown serve only deep dish (and deep dish in chicago isn't like deepdish in the chain).

I'm a big fan of Piece (on North). Great pizza, great in house brewed beer.
+1 to this whole post.

Unos downtown is different (and better) than the chain, but its a bit touristy. You can do much better. Piece is a solid choice for great pizza and pretty good beer.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #10
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Thanks for the help, folks. I'm no stranger to urban areas but I'd rather drive, if I can, just to avoid the hassle of learning my way around another public transit system.
If I do go downtown (likely), I probably won't be doing so until 6 or 7 pm. Will traffic have abated a bit by then?

Quick Reply