Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Illinois HomeBrew Forum > Chi-town trip end of month

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2007, 06:43 PM   #21
rdwj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
A pox on thee, Rhoob and Rd! SNIZZLE for life!!!
Is it in the SNIZZLE code that a SNIZZLE member may not partake in other club activities?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2007, 06:45 PM   #22
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
Is it in the SNIZZLE code that a SNIZZLE member may not partake in other club activities?
There won't be a SNIZZLE to worry about if all the members join those "cool kid cliques".
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:46 PM   #23
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
There won't be a SNIZZLE to worry about if all the members join those "cool kid cliques".
How could a clique be any cooler than we already are? Impossible!

Old 10-25-2007, 07:11 PM   #24
jvh261

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98EXL
kumas website makes the place look fun
Yeah, Kumas is definitely a fun place. I live about a mile from there. The bar is far from a dump and the room actually looks a little upscale. Yet it caters to the metal crowd. The burger menu for instance, every burger is named after a metal band. I'm a big fan of the Mastodon and the Iron Maiden burger. Of course, I love metal and burgers, so I can dig it. Metal is all they play there. There are a few tvs above the bar and whatever sporting events are usually on.

The beer list on the website is outdated as I mentioned in the previous post but to give you an idea, the beer menu lists all the good craft brews and then says "No Miller, No Bud. If you're gonna drink crap, its gonna be workingman's crap. PBR = $2". They also support a lot of the local breweries, so they have most of the Two Brothers and Three Floyds brews on hand and usually at least couple of things from them on tap. They have one of the better Belgian selections in Chicago as well.

If you like craft beer, A+ burgers, metal and sports, this is your bar. The only downside, if you go on a friday/saturday night, you'll wait a long time for a table, especially if the back patio closes up. No table reservations. Give your name when you get there, order beers and wait it out.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:17 PM   #25
98EXL

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvh261
Yeah, Kumas is definitely a fun place. I live about a mile from there. The bar is far from a dump and the room actually looks a little upscale. Yet it caters to the metal crowd. The burger menu for instance, every burger is named after a metal band. I'm a big fan of the Mastodon and the Iron Maiden burger. Of course, I love metal and burgers, so I can dig it. Metal is all they play there. There are a few tvs above the bar and whatever sporting events are usually on.

The beer list on the website is outdated as I mentioned in the previous post but to give you an idea, the beer menu lists all the good craft brews and then says "No Miller, No Bud. If you're gonna drink crap, its gonna be workingman's crap. PBR = $2". They also support a lot of the local breweries, so they have most of the Two Brothers and Three Floyds brews on hand and usually at least couple of things from them on tap. They have one of the better Belgian selections in Chicago as well.

If you like craft beer, A+ burgers, metal and sports, this is your bar. The only downside, if you go on a friday/saturday night, you'll wait a long time for a table, especially if the back patio closes up. No table reservations. Give your name when you get there, order beers and wait it out.
that place sounds fcuking awesome!

I'm back!!!

Old 10-25-2007, 08:57 PM   #26
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
that place sounds fcuking awesome!
I'll have to check that out myself!

My fav in the city is Map Room. Out here in the burbs, there are some decent beer bars, but none are near Arlington Heights. The NW burbs cater to more of a frat-boy, yuppie wanna-be, "where's my McMansion?" crowd, IMO.

If you can jump on the train at the AH station, you can get to the bars in the city pretty easily.

The RAM is a decent brewpub, especially for a chain. But the best one nearest where you'll be is Lunar Brewing, which is ~ a 25-30 min. drive. It's a small, corner bar that looks like a place your grandpa would've hung out in to watch the game and drink Old Style. It's easy to drive right past the place and not notice it. No food at all except bags of chips and cheap frozen pizza, but the beer is worth the trip!

Old 10-25-2007, 09:01 PM   #27
98EXL

Recipes 

is there a train station in AH? I think I was sucking at google the other day when I was trying to figure that out....we aren't renting a car this trip....we got a big 'suite' instead

I'm back!!!

Old 10-25-2007, 09:06 PM   #28
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
is there a train station in AH? I think I was sucking at google the other day when I was trying to figure that out....we aren't renting a car this trip....we got a big 'suite' instead
Yes, but not close to where you're staying. The closest will be near Arlington Race Track.

I take offense at Rhoob's summation of the area. I don't think it's quite "frattish", very few places in the burbs are like that. Like anywhere else, the trendy bars are on the main streets but the little off-street dives are the locals faves. There aren't many great beer bars that I've discovered.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:09 PM   #29
98EXL

Recipes 

local dives are usually awesome, big trendy places are just Ok, IMHO

I'm back!!!

Old 10-25-2007, 09:43 PM   #30
jvh261

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Map Room is a must for anyone visiting Chicago that knows their beer. The beer list there is staggering. No food but there is a pretty great Cuban place right up the street though. Done a Cuban sandwich / Map Room night many a time over the years.
I've also seen people just have pizzas delivered right to Map Room and no one seemed to mind. May want to check with your bartender to make sure its cool though. I've never done it myself.

The ham sandwich at Hopleaf paired up with a pitcher of Cane & Ebel though... tough to beat it. I need to get over there again soon.

I've spent the last 10 or so years living between Chicago and the NW burbs and I don't hit the bars like I used to, but I don't think I've ever been in any burb bar that came close to measuring up. My burbs vs. city snobbery isn't too bad, but in the case of beers and bars, there is really no comparison. I did have lunch and a couple beers at the Ram in Schaumburg yesterday though. Only the third time I've been there, but it was pretty good. Had an IPA and their '71 Pale Ale (an APA with a bit of a Rye edge) with a club sandwich.

If you're in Wrigleyville, there is Goose Island-Wrigleyville and also the Gingerman on Clark. Gems in the midst of Miller Lite/Bud Light infested Cub bars.

I've always wanted to hit Lunar. I've never made it out to Walter Payton's Roundhouse either. There is another brewery out that way on the Fox River whose name escapes me right now. I need to just spend a good day out in that area and hit those spots. I can't wait for Two Bros. to open their brewpub out in Warrenville. Lots of good stuff going on in the area.

When is this get together anyway... I'm in Ohio 11/2-5 but I work in the NW burbs and commute to Chicago anyway so if the date fits, I should be able to pop in for a few sodas and salads.

Quick Reply