New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Illinois HomeBrew Forum > Best LHBS in NW or W suburbs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 01:38 AM   #21
sagacity
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Sorry, 2x post, the HB app said the post failed...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #22
Sippin37
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I'm not really a fan of the Brew & Grow, atleast the one in the West Loop. I just get that feeling that when you are asking them for something that you are causing them so much trouble. I mean it is a business, you're supposed to want to help the customer and make some money. When I went in there last time all the guy could do is complain about how tired he was. Meanwhile, I'm just waiting for him to see if they have any gas disconnects for a ball lock keg. Guy - "Well it shows we have 17 in stock, but there are none here in the displaycase and none in back, so I'm not sure what is going on." Me - "well can you give me the one that is on display over there?". Guy - "No, sorry cant do that. But you can go up to our location on Kedzie, they should have some." Me - "well can you tell me how many they have in stock?". "It shows that they have 12 in stock, so you'll be fine." Me - "Well it says you have 17 in stock but apparently you have 0 since you cant find any." Guy - "Yeah man, I'm so tired........"

Won't be going back there ever again, even though it is definitely the closest LHBS to me. Too bad.

Hip Check Brewing Company

Old 06-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #23
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 537 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Bummer experience, Sippin. Experiences like that are far too common in homebrew shops, unfortunately. Getting some people to show interest is like pulling teeth...shouldn't be the case in retail.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #24
Sippin37
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Yeah I agree. I mean I like to support the local economy but when you get treated like that you might as well order everything online. Especially here in the city, the taxes here end up washing with the shipping online.

Hip Check Brewing Company

Old 06-19-2012, 01:46 AM   #25
BPhad
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've gone to the brew and grow in Bolingbrook and they are always helpful

Old 06-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #26
sagacity
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium
Bummer experience, Sippin. Experiences like that are far too common in homebrew shops, unfortunately. Getting some people to show interest is like pulling teeth...shouldn't be the case in retail.
That's so bizarre. I've actually never had a bad experience in a home brew shop. They always want to be helpful - I mean that's what they're there for. Ay that are still around now should be because they have good customer service, otherwise they get beat every time by online sales.

I go to my LHBS specifically to support them and keep them I business. I feel that the knowledge they give me is worth the slightly higher prices. Sometimes they're cheaper.

Maybe it was just that guy. I'd say give them another chance, maybe when that guy isn't there. Could have been a bad guy on a bad day. On a side note, I have noticed that the hydroponic places that sell home brew stuff are a little less knowledgeable. I was at a place, I think in Gurnee, and I had some questions. The register guy said, here, let me connect you with my brewmaster. The conversation ended with the brewmaster saying, "I don't know, I've never brewed all grain before". Neither have I, but, I would never call myself a brewmaster either...BUT they were still really helpful and nice. I ended up buying a wine making kit because they were so helpful.

Cheers!

Old 07-21-2012, 02:21 AM   #27
Mermaid
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

So just as a followup to this thread...

The Brew and Grow in Roselle is close to where I live, but I was totally spoiled by my previous HBS where you could measure out only the grains you needed, run them through the mill, and be on your way.

The Brew & Grow only sells grains by the 1 lb. and 5 lb. bags. Prices are totally reasonable, but you need to bring your own bucket to carry the grain home in if you want to use their mill.

Yeast selection is so so. They only carry Wyeast (which is fine) liquid - but they were out of the Saison yeast I wanted.

Hops selection is decent.

Helps to go in there knowing what you want/need, unless you can chat up a fellow homebrewer there. I know I was there with another guy who was buying ingredients for a British mild extract batch - and we shared some tips.

The guy who was working there was friendly, and seemed eager to help, but (for example) they didn't carry tubing or I couldn't find it so I'll have to search elsewhere.

Overall, the Brew & Grow in Roselle isn't a bad place so long as you know what you need and show up with a bucket to carry your grain home (unless you've got a mill at home). I think I am going to call around tomorrow and see if anyone in the area has Saison yeast in stock. It's supposed to get stupid hot here again and I would love to take advantage of having a 85 degree garage to stash a carboy in.

If not, I'll just brew up a BSG or Abbey style and leave it in the A/C with me.

-------------------------
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty!
an empty fermenter is a sad fermenter
Bottled: Nut brown ale, Bink blond clone (she's a bitter Belgian!) Belgian Wit, several other tasty beers that have since been consumed!
On deck: TBD

Old 07-21-2012, 02:41 AM   #28
Glynn
Brewing 20 yrs & still a noob

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
The guy who was working there was friendly, and seemed eager to help, but (for example) they didn't carry tubing or I couldn't find it so I'll have to search elsewhere.
They do carry tubing but for some reason its not out in plain sight. i did the same thing last week and couldnt find it so i asked if he had it

Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson
Duct tape. The handyman's secret weapon - Red Green

Naughty Kitty Brewing EST 1993
Primary 1 -
Primary 2 - House pale ale zythos
Primary 3 -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 - House Pale Ale
Bottled - Imperial IPA, Simcoe IPA, Cali Common, Snowshoe pale ale

Old 07-21-2012, 03:21 AM   #29
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 537 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 415

The who brews there on Saturday knows his stuff. He's usually preoccupied with brewing, but if you ask him questions, he has darn good answers.

Mermaid's experience there matches that of my own.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #30
Demon
SlapShot Brewing

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 9

FYI, Brew and Grow now carries White Labs. I picked some up at Bolingbrook a few weeks ago.

Quick Reply