*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Illinois HomeBrew Forum > BABBLE Brew-Off 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2011, 02:11 PM   #51
MachineShopBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Well, I hope I get my scoresheets back today. Sounds like they have been arriving for some people.

Ace, I hate that when then don't list any flaws and then give a bad score. I have seen a lot of times where that happens. If you are going to ding me for something, then you damn well better tell me what you are dinging me for. I am sure it is mostly judge inexperience. I am sure mead judging is even worse than the beer categories.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2011, 10:01 PM   #52
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 38

No scoresheets for me today. They must be sending out a few at a time. Not sure why it is taking this long.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:11 AM   #53
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4604 Times on 4507 Posts
Likes Given: 2103

Got my score sheets yesterday. Another mixed bag.

As usual, one judge decides there is peat malt in a Scottish 80/- that has none and decides to mark against it. Someone needs to teach these judges a little of the yeast and water profile for the given styles before they judge contests. I know they volunteer, it's just disappointing when judges insist things are there when they are in fact not there.

Mmm, hot and wet beef.-marubozo

Get rich or get sandy trying...-AZ_IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Club View Post
I feel like I may need to take a stroll around gen pop and say hi to my subjects.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:36 AM   #54
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Got my score sheets too, apparently my medium sweetness mead was too sweet, even though the gravity and specs hit right in the middle of Medium mead specs. That's judging though, I guess. One jude didn't fill out the bottom section about how it fits the Classic Style, Technical Merit, Intangibles, not sure if that's normal or not, and they were a non-certified judge that said I should look at my sanitation. That bugs me because I'm pretty anal about that. It also did seem like the judges were imparting more of their personal desires for the mead, but maybe that happens more since cysers have a very broad guideline description. Oh well, 25.5.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:34 AM   #55
kegtoe
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 10

i sent in a few beers, got my results back today. the same beers reviewed consistantly worse then when i submitted to the upper mississipi mash out. But that the fun of this hobbby. everyone has their own opinoin.

i felt that my amercan amber was judged more as an american IPA by the comments these guys gave. Sounded like they expected the beer to be really really hoppy

Old 03-16-2011, 01:24 PM   #56
Ace_Club
Legendary Influential Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1538 Times on 1461 Posts
Likes Given: 52728

I did talk to some friends who are judges/training to be judges and got this advice for meads:

Just be aware that with meads, hedonism is an important factor. If a dry melomel is what you're going for, then so be it, just don't expect it to score well relative to others that may be semi-dry or sweet or whatever. It's never as simple as black and white with mead. Dryness can be perceived as a flaw, particularly with a raspberry melomel that is utilizing a tart fruit that dries out and adds a tannic character. Mead judging is a very different beast than beer judging, at any rate.

"If guns don't kill people, why do we give people guns when they go to war? Why not just send the people?" - Ozzy Osbourne

Sent from my iPhone 4s.

Canon T2i | EF-S 18-55mm | EF 28mm 1.8 | EF 50mm 1.8 | EF-S 55-250mm

3 whipped dog straights, Gillette Ball End Tech, 1959 Gillette Fat Boy

Secondary: Strawberry Melomel

Quick Reply