Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Illinois HomeBrew Forum > Anyone entering the 2012 Boneyard Brew-Off?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #51
nhhintz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I did receive mine this morning. Overall pleased with results from my first competition.

My wheat scored a 32, but a 34 from the certified judge
Sweet stout scored a 32.5 but a 35 from the certified judge

Funny in both cases the non-certified judge brought my score down.

I'm sure it varies some, but what types of scores to the top 3 normally get? mid to high 30's?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #52
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I got my scoresheets in my inbox as well.

My American Amber got a 29... everything was good except that they mentioned an off-flavor that they couldn't quite pin down. I'm pretty sure it was just a little green.

Pumpkin Ale did decently well with a 33. One judge gave it big praise saying it's a great example of a pumpkin ale; spiciness is evident but not overbalanced. He said he wanted a bit more sweetness (it did get slightly dry) but would have a pint of it on a cool fall day. The other judge got plastic flavors... I'd bet from the spices

The Chocolate Peppermint Sweet Stout got a 28. They praised the cocoa/mint/cream flavors but said the base beer was one-dimensional.

Overall I'm happy with the results. It definitely gives me some distinct things to work on.

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 01-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #53
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I got a first place with a 39, a third with a 36, and a 30 that didn't get anything. Comments were good, probably entered my cider in the wrong category so I'll try it in the specialty if there's a comp near by before it's gone. Overall good input, I found the National judge typically scored me lower than the non-certified judges. It's nice to see in the comments that they enjoyed your brew, despite a low score. Funny that National judge noted that my Mead didn't seem to have high enough ABV for a Sack Mead (9%), when it was actually about 17%, must have been too sweet or something to hide the booze.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #54
Bruwsomtin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I got a 33 with the same beer I entered in the PSB open that scored a 38.5. I also received the least helpfull feedback from the judges. One judge did not even finish the damn judging sheet. I should have just had my local homebrewers taste the beer. I would have saved 20 bucks. I am beginning to think the BJCP is nothing more than a bunch of peeps getting together to drink free beer.

Quick Reply