Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Illinois HomeBrew Forum > 2011 Boneyard Brewoff

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #21
StunnedMonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, none of those are mine. But on the bright side none of those were in categories that I entered, so I still have undamaged category medal hopes.

Thanks for the link.

Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #22
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I'm still clean on my entries too. I entered the same beer under IPA and IIPA. We had 8 categories covered from our club too.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #23
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineShopBrewing View Post
I'm still clean on my entries too. I entered the same beer under IPA and IIPA. We had 8 categories covered from our club too.
Our club won six medals there last year, and well, four of them were mine.

This year I was the only one from our club who entered. The rest were too irritated by the last two years to enter again. It's not just the immediate results, but the score sheets didn't go out for a month.

Btw, we had two or three guys from our club judging in the Longshot last weekend. Said it was pretty cool.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #24
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
This year I was the only one from our club who entered. The rest were too irritated by the last two years to enter again. It's not just the immediate results, but the score sheets didn't go out for a month.

Yeah, it really sucks for our club. I have been entering comps for a while, but the rest of the guys are new to competition brewing. I hate for this to be a bad experience right out of the gate. I am sure the guys will be excited to get their scoresheets back. If BUZZ drags this on for a month without getting scoresheets out, like last year, then I am going to try to petition the organizer for the MWHBOY to drop their competition from the circuit. I think MWHBOY comps should be held to a higher standard in this regard due to the fact that many of the entries are going to come from out of state and these brewers need to get that feedback to brew for the next competition on the circuit.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:49 PM   #25
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Quote:
Yeah, it really sucks for our club. I have been entering comps for a while, but the rest of the guys are new to competition brewing. I hate for this to be a bad experience right out of the gate. I am sure the guys will be excited to get their scoresheets back. If BUZZ drags this on for a month without getting scoresheets out, like last year, then I am going to try to petition the organizer for the MWHBOY to drop their competition from the circuit. I think MWHBOY comps should be held to a higher standard in this regard due to the fact that many of the entries are going to come from out of state and these brewers need to get that feedback to brew for the next competition on the circuit.
To be fair, I don't think it's a bad competition. They're just slow. I know that many in our club have entered Buzz before in order to get feedback before the Indiana State Fair Brewers Cup, which is early July. Last year Buzz didn't get the sheets back before the State Fair entries were due at the end of June. So many were sort of peeved since they were counting on feedback to help them decide what beers to send to State Fair.

Whatever. They'll post results eventually, I suppose. My beers weren't all that this year so I'm probably a loser anyway.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:00 PM   #26
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
To be fair, I don't think it's a bad competition. They're just slow. I know that many in our club have entered Buzz before in order to get feedback before the Indiana State Fair Brewers Cup, which is early July. Last year Buzz didn't get the sheets back before the State Fair entries were due at the end of June. So many were sort of peeved since they were counting on feedback to help them decide what beers to send to State Fair.

Whatever. They'll post results eventually, I suppose. My beers weren't all that this year so I'm probably a loser anyway.
I am sure the judging and feedback are great. It just makes me mad at the lack of organization/motivation to finish the job. They should have had a plan in place to accomplish all these tasks, rather than having to take a "breather" and maybe get around to it in the next few days.

I started this thread talking about trying to get results posted real-time, but it has morphed into getting ANY results in a reasonable time, due to it now being two full days since judging ended. I do applaud Anthony from BUZZ as he seems to be trying to stay out front and has been saying that he sure hopes the organizer will get those results up soon.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:05 PM   #27
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Quote:
I am sure the judging and feedback are great.
I hope that's the case this year. Sounds like the judge pool was severely depleted by the Longshot competition. Oh well. If I'm a loser (as I suspect that I will be) I can always blame it on sketchy judging, right?

Old 06-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #28
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
I hope that's the case this year. Sounds like the judge pool was severely depleted by the Longshot competition. Oh well. If I'm a loser (as I suspect that I will be) I can always blame it on sketchy judging, right?
I'll go with that one too. I kind of entered on a whim at the last minute with an IPA that kind of straddled the line between IPA and IIPA so I entered it in both. Both can be tough categories.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:14 AM   #29
SamuraiSquirrel
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
I'll go with that one too. I kind of entered on a whim at the last minute with an IPA that kind of straddled the line between IPA and IIPA so I entered it in both. Both can be tough categories.
As long as they don't end up combined categories. 250 entries is kind of on the border for comp size where categories start getting collapsed. If there's going to be plenty for anything though it's probably going to be the IPA category.

Still nothing as far as results go...... I was hoping they'd be trying to improve on last year's Tuesday turnaround.

Not looking promising lol

Currently Fermenting: Charlie Sheen (barleywine)

Kegged: Tiger Blood IPA, Irish Red, Strict Observance Tripel

Bottled: Dry Stout, Pliny the ..... Squirrel?, Cream Ale

Old 06-07-2011, 02:30 AM   #30
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Still nothing as far as results go...... I was hoping they'd be trying to improve on last year's Tuesday turnaround.
I am hoping they have something posted by tomorrow. We have a club meeting tomorrow and it would be nice to know if anyone placed before then.

Quick Reply