New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Illinois HomeBrew Forum > 2011 Boneyard Brewoff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 02:16 AM   #11
SamuraiSquirrel
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Anyone know how many entries there were? Doesn't say on the site. Just wondering

Currently Fermenting: Charlie Sheen (barleywine)

Kegged: Tiger Blood IPA, Irish Red, Strict Observance Tripel

Bottled: Dry Stout, Pliny the ..... Squirrel?, Cream Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 02:25 AM   #12
MachineShopBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Over 250 I guess.

I had the following email exchange with the judging organizer last week:

Quote:
Joshi,

I tried emailing Marco about this question last week but have not received a response yet. I would like to know if you guys are planning on posting results during the awards ceremony via twitter or facebook? A lot of other competitions have started doing this by posting them real time as the awards are announced. This is really nice for those of us who entered, but do not live close enough to attend. It makes everyone feel like they are more a part of the competition rather than waiting a couple days for results to be posted on the website. Posting the results real-time via twitter is free and super easy to do. Someone could do it from a cell phone even. It is nice to grab a beer and park in front of the computer for a little while to watch the results come through.

Thank you for your consideration, and could you please forward this to whomever is in charge of making these decisions.

Regards,

Quote:
Matt,

We have discussed it and hope to be able to do something like that. However our problem with this particular event is that we have about 250 entries and only 16 judges. The Sam Adams Longshot has stolen many of the judges that normally come from the Chicago area to help us with our event. So we are fairly strapped. We are also trying to coordinate scanning score sheets into pdf format and having them ready very soon after the competition instead of having to wait for the mail. We have great intentions, just modest man-power. We've even had to begin judging some flights last night! We'll be continuing through Saturday. We can't post any preliminary results though, as it could impact the Best of Show judging.

Regards and best of luck to you.
Joshi

Sent from my TRS-80

Quote:
Joshi,

You guys are having an awards ceremony on Saturday, right? Is it possible to have a club member volunteer to set up a twitter account for the Brew-off and post awards as they are announced during the ceremony? That is what I was wondering. It wouldn't have to be a judge, just someone in the club who wouldn't mind doing this for those of us who can't make it. Our club(BYOB) has a few entries and we were maybe going to get together and hang out to watch the results come through if you guys were posting them to twitter or facebook. You guys would be able to use the twitter account then in the future to put out any information regarding the contest that you would need to. UMMO did this to a streaming blog this year and it was really cool to watch the results come through as they were announced at the awards ceremony.

Thanks and good luck,

To which I did not receive a response.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:31 AM   #13
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

After further digging, they already have a facebook page although it doesn't look like anyone uses it. I thought this club was a bunch of college members and no facebook users?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Boneyard-Union-of-Zymurgical-Zealots/205629306245

Old 06-06-2011, 02:36 AM   #14
SamuraiSquirrel
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I dunno, I'm not trying to rip on the competition or organizers in any way. I hope I don't come off that way.

I just want to know if my entries won any hardware (or software - not sure if they did ribbons or medals) or not lol.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:49 AM   #15
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

How many sets of results have you live tweeted?

I try not to criticize a competition unless something egregious happened, or I volunteered (at least at the judging level).

Old 06-06-2011, 04:13 AM   #16
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
How many sets of results have you live tweeted?

I try not to criticize a competition unless something egregious happened, or I volunteered (at least at the judging level).

Doesn't matter. Heading off to an after party before taking 5 minutes to post a text file of the results to the club website is unacceptable to me. Like was stated before, this isn't their first rodeo. Most of these competitions have been around for years. They have all year to plan on how they are going to post results. Putting more thought into the after party than was put into getting results online in a timely manner is not becoming of a respected competition. I mean, the judging is all done, there must be a list of winners somewhere. Why is there a need for a "breather" before posting results? If they can't handle the amount of work required for a competition of this size, then they should limit entries or cancel it completely. I apologize for being direct, but come on people, get a little more organized. Someone could have typed everything up during the best of show judging and had it posted a few minutes after the winner was picked.

I hate the old line "Have you ever done it...." The answer is no, I haven't had to organize a competition. Our club could not handle the amount of work required to organize something like that. I'm not disputing that it is a ton of work, but like they say, if you can't pee on the tall bushes....

Old 06-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #17
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineShopBrewing View Post
Doesn't matter. Heading off to an after party before taking 5 minutes to post a text file of the results to the club website is unacceptable to me. Like was stated before, this isn't their first rodeo. Most of these competitions have been around for years. They have all year to plan on how they are going to post results. Putting more thought into the after party than was put into getting results online in a timely manner is not becoming of a respected competition. I mean, the judging is all done, there must be a list of winners somewhere. Why is there a need for a "breather" before posting results? If they can't handle the amount of work required for a competition of this size, then they should limit entries or cancel it completely. I apologize for being direct, but come on people, get a little more organized. Someone could have typed everything up during the best of show judging and had it posted a few minutes after the winner was picked.

I hate the old line "Have you ever done it...." The answer is no, I haven't had to organize a competition. Our club could not handle the amount of work required to organize something like that. I'm not disputing that it is a ton of work, but like they say, if you can't pee on the tall bushes....
The reason they don't post them before the party is that they are read first to the people attending the awards ceremony. The reason they don't post them after is they want to clean up and go home as they have likely done many hours of work in the past day.

Next year go down with your cell phone and tweet for them. I doubt they would turn you down. That's all that is missing, a volunteer.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #18
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
The reason they don't post them before the party is that they are read first to the people attending the awards ceremony. The reason they don't post them after is they want to clean up and go home as they have likely done many hours of work in the past day.
When is the awards ceremony? Before the party? At the party? What about yesterday? No one could find a few minutes to post them yesterday? How about today? Will they be posted today?

They are getting grief because it is like this every year with this competition. There are threads each of the last two years with people wondering (days after the event) where the results are. That might have been the norm when Boneyard #1 was happening, but this is 2011. People are fine waiting for snail mail score sheets. That's a lot of work. Posting a page to an internet web site is not. They must realize that their "record number of entrants" are interested in the results.
Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Old 06-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #19
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Part of hosting a competition is posting the results. Maybe ten years ago when most entries were just local, they could wait with posting them. Nowadays there are many, many people entering comps from out of state who deserve to know what the results were the day of the competition. I don't understand why they feel like they can just post them whenever they happen to get around to it. It is a critical part of the competition that should be accounted for and organized ahead of time as to who is going to post it immediately after or during the awards ceremony. I'm sure someone had a laptop there to log the information, and they have a forum built right into their site they could have posted it in. Seriously, it would take 5 minutes. I don't buy the excuses that you speak of. If they can't get organized enough to post results right away, then don't have the competition next year. I'm sure the club budget would take a hit though.

Quote:
I try not to criticize a competition unless something egregious happened, or I volunteered

That logic doesn't make any sense at all. That would mean that you never complain about a product that you bought if it fails to work how you would like because you were not part of the design and production of that product and can't possibly know what it is like to design something. Or, you never criticize a restaurant for poor service or bad food, because you didn't cook it or serve it. They are performing a service by hosting a competition, and in return they are getting a lot of money for their club budget. By paying money for the service, I feel that I am by no means out of line in asking for results being posted before the "after party" begins. Its not really after anyway because posting results IS part of the duties of holding a competition.

Quote:
Next year go down with your cell phone and tweet for them. I doubt they would turn you down. That's all that is missing, a volunteer

Tweeting would just be a bonus. At this point, I would at least like to see results posted at all. The judging is done, they have to have a list of winners typed up somewhere or how else would they give out awards? How long would that take for one of them to copy and paste the text into their forum? Seriously?

Old 06-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #20
SamuraiSquirrel
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Here's a link to the AHA forum (a bragging thread). You can at least figure out if you won BOS or runner up BOS.

I found it by googling 2011 boneyard results lol. I thought maybe someone possibly postsed results off the BUZZ site somewhere. I didn't win BOS or runner up but still have hopes for something placing lol

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=7824.0

Quick Reply