Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Illinois HomeBrew Forum > 2011 Boneyard Brewoff

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
MachineShopBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default 2011 Boneyard Brewoff

Did anyone attend the BUZZ brewoff on Saturday? Any news on results or when they will get posted? I tried contacting them for the last couple of weeks to see if they would make a twitter stream during the awards part to post winners, but it seems this club is more concerned with hanging out and having an after party than truly performing a service to the people who entered.

*********Personal Rant*****
How hard is is seriously, for clubs to create a twitter account or facebook account for their respective competitions to be able to live post winners during the awards ceremony? All you need is one club volunteer with a phone or a computer to type them onto a twitter feed as they are announced during the medal ceremony. Every time I email a competition organizer about this, they never seem to respond. Is this idea just completely out of line? Think about how fun it would be if your club entered a bunch of beers in a competition in another state, and then got together on the day of the competition with a computer and watched the twitter feed come through during the awards ceremony. I have made it my personal crusade to try to get more competitions to post live results. Technology today makes it so simple that it is crazy that more are not already doing it.

After perusing the BUZZ forum on their website, it seems that there was all kinds of chatter about the afterparty, but nothing about how the contest was going to happen or how results were going to get posted. The club is making a ton of money on events like these, maybe they should consider all the people who entered and paid that money. There are a bunch of threads on HBT from years past about this competition also, so it seems to be a recurring theme.

Sorry for the rant, but I get annoyed by lack of motivation to make these competitions as good as they can possibly be. Real time results are super easy and it drives me nuts that they never even bother to look into it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 12:10 AM   #2
lemy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Thought I would chime in here. I too would like to get the results; however, I do understand the importance of a good party, as well as what those party's can do to a person the day after...

Inquiring minds want to know - who were the winners?

Please

Old 06-06-2011, 12:35 AM   #3
SamuraiSquirrel
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

they have a forum on their website ......... all someone has to do is create a 2011 results thread ....... would take 5-10 minutes.

I heard that they were super slow last year (and read the thread here on HBT about this) to post results. I entered anyway giving them the benefit of the doubt. I don't really get why this is difficult with the technology available ..........

I don't even need real time results but I don't see why results shouldn't be posted the night of the comp of the next morning at least.

Currently Fermenting: Charlie Sheen (barleywine)

Kegged: Tiger Blood IPA, Irish Red, Strict Observance Tripel

Bottled: Dry Stout, Pliny the ..... Squirrel?, Cream Ale

Old 06-06-2011, 12:45 AM   #4
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiSquirrel View Post
they have a forum on their website ......... all someone has to do is create a 2011 results thread ....... would take 5-10 minutes.

I heard that they were super slow last year (and read the thread here on HBT about this) to post results. I entered anyway giving them the benefit of the doubt. I don't really get why this is difficult with the technology available ..........

I don't even need real time results but I don't see why results shouldn't be posted the night of the comp of the next morning at least.
Yeah, they're really slow. It was late Tuesday night last year before they posted results. It was a month before score sheets/medals went out. I appreciate the time it must take to hold a competition, but should it really take days to post a text file on the web site? No excuse to not have results posted the next day. It's freaking 2011.

If they're as slow this year as they were last year, it'll be my last entry in that competition. Ridiculous.
Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Old 06-06-2011, 12:50 AM   #5
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineShopBrewing View Post
*********Personal Rant*****
How hard is is seriously, for clubs to create a twitter account or facebook account for their respective competitions to be able to live post winners during the awards ceremony? All you need is one club volunteer with a phone or a computer to type them onto a twitter feed as they are announced during the medal ceremony. Every time I email a competition organizer about this, they never seem to respond. Is this idea just completely out of line?
No, it's not out of line at all. There was a pretty big competition last year that did this on Facebook (Schooner?) and it was fun following the results in quasi real time.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:31 AM   #6
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
No, it's not out of line at all. There was a pretty big competition last year that did this on Facebook (Schooner?) and it was fun following the results in quasi real time.

Yeah, I remember that one. I had three medal out of four at that one last year. They spread the judging over a couple weeks and at least posted who were the winners from each group. UMMO this year did a real-time blog feed during the awards ceremony this year. That was really cool to sit at home and follow along. I didn't have any beers in that one this year, but had some friends who did.

I did email the organizer for the Midwest Homebrewer of the Year circuit of which the BUZZ comp is part of. I asked them to nudge the comps that are on their circuit to move toward real-time results via twitter or the like. I have yet to hear back from Pat.

Fairness in conversation, Joshi from BUZZ did reply at first and said they were short on judges due to the Longshot being in Chicago. But, I emailed him back and said it doesn't have to be a judge posting the results to twitter, anyone with a cell phone can do it. I never received a response after that. I'm not even sure they had an awards ceremony. There was nothing posted about it at all on the site. Only that judging would start at 9:00 am on Sat. I'm sure they like the money that the competition brings in, but they need to do a better job of making the competition better.

I realize not all competitions are big enough to warrant the extra work, but being on the MWHBOY circuit should hold them to a higher standard. I would like to see the following from competitions in the near future.

1. Real-time results via twitter/facebook/ etc...
2. Post result sheet on website the next day at the latest
3. Scoresheets and medals mailed out within one week.

Seriously people, that is only about 10 minutes worth of planning ahead to accomplish those three items. If you want to hold a competition and like the money that it brings into the club, then you should be doing a better job of planning for these things. It really isn't that hard to do. If you feel like it is too much work to do, then don't bother having the competition. Yes, competitions are a lot of work, if you aren't up to it, then cancel it next year!

EDIT: http://www.buzzbrewclub.org/forum/vi...243&p=942#p942 Just saw this post on the club website. I registered as a forum member last week, so I will try to reply and share my thoughts.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:46 AM   #7
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Technology did allow them to get this posted up already though

http://www.buzzbrewclub.org/forum/vi...1&t=244:drunk:

Old 06-06-2011, 02:57 AM   #8
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Sorry, we literally had our hands full just keeping the competition going this year, let alone adding new technology to it, maybe next year.

I just got this response from Anthony on the forum in regards to this post that I put up:

Quote:
I had emailed last week to see if you guys would open a twitter account to post results real-time during the awards ceremony. This has been a personal crusade of mine to get competitions to start doing this. It is super easy, free, and is really nice for those of us who don't live close enough to attend the festivities. Our club had a few entries and we would have liked to get together during your awards ceremony and watched the results come through like we were actually there. Technology in 2011 makes this very easy to do, all it takes is a club member with a cell phone and access to a club twitter account. UMMO did something similar this year via a blog feed. As the winners were announced, someone posted it to the feed for each award.

Thank you for your concern regarding this request.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:57 AM   #9
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Yeah, I saw their forum posting that they were short on judges. Still, it's over and it would only take a few moments to post a text file showing the winners. Do they really need a couple of days for a "breather" before tackling this monumental 5 minute task? They say they had a record number of entries. That means that there's a record number of people waiting to hear the results. It's absurd that they can't find 5 minutes to upload a list of winners. This is the 17th year of this competition.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:04 AM   #10
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Yeah, I saw their forum posting that they were short on judges. Still, it's over and it would only take a few moments to post a text file showing the winners. Do they really need a couple of days for a "breather" before tackling this monumental 5 minute task? They say they had a record number of entries. That means that there's a record number of people waiting to hear the results. It's absurd that they can't find 5 minutes to upload a list of winners. This is the 17th year of this competition.
I couldn't have said it better myself. I am really trying to be nice when talking to the organizers of these events, but it is difficult when there isn't a certain standard that they feel they should hold themselves to as organizers of a rather large competition. Maybe they need to drop out of the MWHBOY if they can't handle the extra volume.

Quick Reply