Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Illinois HomeBrew Forum > 2010 Barrel Aged Beer Festival - Chicago

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default 2010 Barrel Aged Beer Festival - Chicago

Did anyone happen to attend this year? I was lucky enough to go to the Saturday afternoon tasting, and it was incredible. Tried some of the craziest, best beers I've ever had. It's a shame that 90% of them will never be bottled, or I'll never see them again.

I can say that I didn't have a single bad beer.

Another HERMS rig...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
MrInternet
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was there... I enjoyed myself quite a bit. I had a feeling that Snarleywine from Rock Bottom Warrenville would take home the Gold. I got to sample it a week ago at a competition I was stewarding at that location, and I knew it was amazing then...

The variety was better this year than years past... I've always felt like the competition was "Giant bourbon stouts and crazy wild beers", but this year there was quite a variety. I do think that, after three years, I am kind of "over it", though... I can only take so much bourbon-flavored beer and I thought the bourbon-barreled stuff this year was just WAY too bourbon-ey. I love a big stout as much as the next guy, but the over the top and persistent bourbon smell and taste from all those beers made them just sort of run together for me... and not in a good way.

Anyway, I think I will find something else for my beer outing next year, but CBS does run a great festival... thinking of volunteering at it next year for some addt'l experience.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:01 PM   #3
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Agreed about the bourbon. I love bourbon beers, but they did start tasting the same after the 6th or 7th drink. I find myself hanging around the sours and experimental area the most. I was very intrigued by the Mint Julip Stout, although I can't remember who brewed it and I don't have my program handy.

Another HERMS rig...

Quick Reply