The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Wisconsin HomeBrew Forum > Wisconsin Here I Come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

I'm trying to remember the actual name, but there is a great bottle shop in Green Bay. Around here, they call it the "Church of Beer", but that's definitely not the real name. I think it's pretty close to Lambeau. Does anybody know the place I mean? That have everything, including Wisconsin micros, as well as stuff that is from out east that isn't available anywhere else in Wisconsin.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2013, 11:23 PM   #12
Scotty_g
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I'm from Green Bay and I'm trying to think of where the "Church of Beer" would be. Normally I hit up Woodman's (just off 41 and near Fleet Farm) because their selection is also really good. Ridge Road Liquor is also just down the street from Lambeau, and they have a good selection as well...and I have seen some unusual stuff there.

Natural 20 Brewery

Yes, that *is* beer. Water, malt, hops, and yeast mean it's beer. Go ahead and try a glass...

Old 06-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty_g View Post
I'm from Green Bay and I'm trying to think of where the "Church of Beer" would be. Normally I hit up Woodman's (just off 41 and near Fleet Farm) because their selection is also really good. Ridge Road Liquor is also just down the street from Lambeau, and they have a good selection as well...and I have seen some unusual stuff there.
Ridge Road! That's it!!!!

The Church of Beer, because in the UP here we don't have ANY good beer. We don't get beers that are distributed outside of Wisconsin, but our distributors come from Wisconsin so we don't get Michigan breweries either- like Founders or even Bell's!

So when you go into Ridge Road, it's a "praise God" sort of experience- hence the "Church of Beer"!

Old 06-23-2013, 11:30 PM   #14
Scotty_g

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I had never had Bell's until I went to visit a friend of mine in Escanaba...so for a while, anyway, they were selling in their own state.

(getting off-topic) No good beer? What do you think of the breweries in Marquette? I've already hit Vierling and Blackrocks and would like to hit up Ore Docks this summer.

Natural 20 Brewery

Yes, that *is* beer. Water, malt, hops, and yeast mean it's beer. Go ahead and try a glass...

Old 06-24-2013, 12:37 AM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty_g View Post
I had never had Bell's until I went to visit a friend of mine in Escanaba...so for a while, anyway, they were selling in their own state.

(getting off-topic) No good beer? What do you think of the breweries in Marquette? I've already hit Vierling and Blackrocks and would like to hit up Ore Docks this summer.
Bell's is available in Escanaba and so is Short's (and Founder's)- but west of there it's hard to get. I've seen a few Short's beers in Marquette, but it's hit or miss.

I love the Vierling- one of our premium HBT members is the brewer there (and a friend of mine)- and Ore Dock was "ok" when I was there but I hear they are improving.

I rarely get to Marquette, and of course none of those brewpubs/micros bottle or distribute. When I go up there, I always take an empty growler with me!

Old 06-24-2013, 11:09 PM   #16
whatsleftofyou
Third Eye Pried Wide

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
The Church of Beer, because in my area of the U.P. we don't have ANY good beer. We don't get beers that are distributed outside of Wisconsin, but our distributors come from Wisconsin so we don't get Michigan breweries either- like Founders or even Bell's!
I fixed that for you. Most of the U.P. actually has pretty good distribution.

For everyone out there, "Beer Church" is Ridgeview Liquor, 2265 True Lane in Green Bay. They don't have as large of a selection as Woodman's, but the quality of selection and especially service are MUCH higher. I make it a point to stop in every time I'm in GB.
On Tap: Orange Chocolate Stout, Belgian Wit, Chocolate Rye Ale, Belgian Singel, American Pale Ale
Bottled: PB&J Sweet Stout, Belgian Saison, Brown Porter

Old 06-24-2013, 11:23 PM   #17
AMMODOG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

When you leave the Madison Airport, stop at Ale Asylum, just past the first stop light turn left. If you have never been there before, they just moved in to their new building last fall. Great beer. Your wind pipe will be quite dry after that stuffy plane, need to wet your whistle!

Old 06-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #18
negativereaction
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I will second O'so Brewing in Stevens Point/Plover. The LHBS right next door is actually very fairly priced, and the giant row of taps at the taphouse is enough for anyone. A great stop right off Hwy 51.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #19
Dovage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMMODOG View Post
When you leave the Madison Airport, stop at Ale Asylum, just past the first stop light turn left. If you have never been there before, they just moved in to their new building last fall. Great beer. Your wind pipe will be quite dry after that stuffy plane, need to wet your whistle!
Here, here! I second that. Ale Asylum is a great little brewery. I stopped there on my last trip to Janesville in March.

Brewing since January 2013 BIAB
Beer, the cause of and answer to all of life's problems-Homer J. Simpson
Primary- Elephant Gun IPA
Bottled- Handy Men IPA
Residual Boulder Brown Ale

Old 06-24-2013, 11:53 PM   #20
cheesehed007
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 27

If you do go to Milwaukee, go to Lakefront Brewery. We went this past Friday. Great tour and beer. Make sure you have a DD. they encourage drinking on the tour. Cheers

image-3706483931.jpg

Quick Reply