Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Wisconsin HomeBrew Forum > Visiting Milwaukee, recommendation needed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
hausofstrauss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Visiting Milwaukee, recommendation needed

I'll be in Milwaukee at the end of this week on business. I'll get in late on Wednesday, but Thursday evening, I'd like to stop by a local brewery or two. I'm not talking Miller or Pabst, but someone small. Leaving Friday. I'm staying downtown. Maybe fill up a growler or two to take home.

Any recommendations?

I love authentic German food, so I plan to stop by the Old Beer Hall for dinner. Good choice?? If any place has Schweinshaxen, I'd go there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 387

if you want authentic german, go to Karl Ratzsch's. they serve Schweinshaxen.

http://www.karlratzsch.com/

pricey, but worth it. OGBH is a standard Haufbrauhaus, kind of on the small side.

The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 10-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
hausofstrauss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Hey thanks for the suggestion!

Off topic here, but does anyone know if any of the commercial breweries in the Milwaukee area sell their old kegs? I'd just be looking at future upgrades for brew days.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:42 AM   #4
coolharry
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If your looking for an entertaining brewery tour, check out Lakefront Brewery. We went a while back before catching a Brewer game, and I have to say it was my favorite one of all the tours I've been on. Our tour guide as hilarious and made it a really fun even with a group of over 35 people.
Otherwise there's Milwaukee Brewing company, Sprechers, Milwaukee Ale House, Horny Goat, Water Street, Rock Bottom, Stonefly. I haven't gotten to many of these yet because we live about 2 hours north, but they're all on my list to check out. One of these days I'll get to Stonefly to finally try that mustache ride pale ale!

Edit: Never mind, Just noticed today is, in fact, Thursday. Hope you stumbled upon a good spot! Let us know if anything was can't miss

Old 10-05-2012, 12:50 AM   #5
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 782 Times on 549 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Whe you come back we have some awesome craft beer bars in the Bay View neighborhood just south of downtown in addition to the great places mentioned above. Cheers!

Quick Reply