Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Wisconsin HomeBrew Forum > Moving to Milwaukee (Greendale)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
TheBrewinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Moving to Milwaukee (Greendale)

I will be moving to Milwaukee (Greendale) at the end of March. I'm debating finally joining a home brew club, does anyone have any suggestions on one to join? Also, anyone have suggestions for good brew pubs in the area?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 01:23 AM   #2
Gerhard
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Beer Barons of Milwaukee & Northern Brewer has a nice store not too far away....Brewpubs - Milwaukee Ale House, Rock Bottom, Water Street...

Old 03-07-2013, 01:34 AM   #3
jeffjm
Custom Yeast Home Builder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Find yourself some Sprecher...I always bring a few bottles home when I visit Milwaukee. Great stuff, particularly Black Bavarian.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
Indyking
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have a related question that my contribute to the OP too.

I'm coming from Madison in my way to IN and stopping in Milwaukee this Monday to drop my beer for the NHBC at the Northern Brewer store. I will be driving by at lunch time, so I'm debating if I should visit a 1-Local Brewery or 2-Get lunch in a bar/pub with good food but great selection of crafts

For those familiar with Milwaukee craft beer scene, would you recommend option 1 or 2 above? Where more specifically? I can only pick one place

Old 03-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
tophmck
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I'm also in Madison, so I'm no Milwaukee expert. But I do know one bar with good food and a great beer selection -- that's Cafe Centraal in Bay View. Have fun!

EDIT: Here's some other ideas (not sure which of the others have decent food, though).

Old 03-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
Indyking
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophmck View Post
I'm also in Madison, so I'm no Milwaukee expert. But I do know one bar with good food and a great beer selection -- that's Cafe Centraal in Bay View. Have fun!

EDIT: Here's some other ideas (not sure which of the others have decent food, though).
Thanks, after reading that, I think I go with the Ale House for good pub-style food and good selection of beers

Old 03-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
m_stodd
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 38 Posts

I live in the Third Ward, blocks away from what I'm listing below

For food and beer, I would recommend in order
1. Rumpus Room. Awesome food, and excellent selection of micros and limited edition brews
2. Hinterland. Awesome (pricey) food, and good selection of Hinterland brews from Green Bay
3. Ale House. Don't eat the food, their beers are decent, and have gotten better over the years
4. Cafe Benelux. Food is hit or miss but the sweet potato fries are always good, good selection of taps, and huge selection of bottles. Belgian experience
5. Water Street Brewery. Decent food, decent brews. Haven't been here in a while, it's in one of the dirtier parts of downtown

Old 03-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
Indyking
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_stodd View Post
I live in the Third Ward, blocks away from what I'm listing below

For food and beer, I would recommend in order
1. Rumpus Room. Awesome food, and excellent selection of micros and limited edition brews
2. Hinterland. Awesome (pricey) food, and good selection of Hinterland brews from Green Bay
3. Ale House. Don't eat the food, their beers are decent, and have gotten better over the years
4. Cafe Benelux. Food is hit or miss but the sweet potato fries are always good, good selection of taps, and huge selection of bottles. Belgian experience
5. Water Street Brewery. Decent food, decent brews. Haven't been here in a while, it's in one of the dirtier parts of downtown
Thanks! My first priority is the beer, what I like is not necessarily the large selection of taps in town but rather I love to go in a bar where they have great "exotic" or seasonal beers on tap that I have never heard about. I also like when the menu has a good description of the beers or the waiter is knowledgeable about them.

As for food, as long as it is decent and not too pricey, any will do it. I will probably just get a burger and fries, nothing too fancy. Do you still recommend Rumpus Room first?

Old 03-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
mojo_wire
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You want interesting beer, don't move to Greendale. Live North of Downtown.

Lakefront Brewery

Hinterland (doesn't brew on premises but at their Green Bay location). Probably my favorite restaurant in town.

Big Bay has a tasting room in Shorewood. Don't know if they would be classified as a nano or microbrewery but they were started by a bunch of home brewers not long ago.

Silver Creek in Cedarburg (their seasonal Imperial Maibock should be out soon)

Cafe Hollander for your Belgian pleasure.

One lunch here? Don't go to Milwaukee Ale House. It's pretty generic. Lakefront Brewery tour or Cafe Hollander. Hollanders food is very good, beer menu is excellent, and the Wauwatosa location is pretty close to Northern Brewer.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #10
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 210 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 369

i agree with mojo aside from:

DO go to the Milwaukee Ale House.

Big Bay is a.....well I'm not sure what to call them. They have all their stuff contract brewed. By Milwaukee Ale House and Stevens Point I believe.

The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Quick Reply