Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South West USA > Utah HomeBrew Forum > Does anybody brew in Northern Utah

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 03:54 AM   #21
yewtah-brewha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by samorg42 View Post
I'm in Park City. I do all grain, mostly 10 gal batches and experiment. I'm using a 15.5 gal keg for a mastun that I built.....works great. Clone recipes from online seem to work out well and you get close to beers than you already like.
Now that I have 7 batches under my belt I am going to 10 gallon batches, You couldnt be more correct in that its the clean up and prep that costs the most in time. When You do the 10 gal batches do you double the yeast and hops? grain is cheap. I just bought my Asahi clone ingredients and will be doing it this weekend. The grain/rice for a 5 gallon batch was 13.00.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #22
JABBY
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Hello all,

Brewing out of Roy now, I have got 6 five gallon batches under my belt. Partial mash is what I have worked up to as of right now. Still learning about all grain and I know I want to get to it soon. I have done several wines and a very tasty looking mead.

"Make sure that the beer – four pints a week – goes to the troops under fire before any of the parties in the rear get a drop."
-Winston Churchill to his Secretary of War, 1944

Old 07-16-2013, 12:07 AM   #23
new2brew32
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Don't be scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABBY View Post
Hello all,

Brewing out of Roy now, I have got 6 five gallon batches under my belt. Partial mash is what I have worked up to as of right now. Still learning about all grain and I know I want to get to it soon. I have done several wines and a very tasty looking mead.
All grain really isn't that difficult. With this site I was able to get the resources and feedback I needed to make the jump. That was about twenty batches ago. I have since made a keezer that holds six corneys and am considering doing 15 gal batches in sankes. All grain is the most economical way to brew and it offers the most customization.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:24 AM   #24
yewtah-brewha
Recipes 

Agree! allgrain is more customizable, It takes a little more effort, but not much. I use a 10 galllon igloo water cooler converted to a mash-tun, 6.5 gallon brew pot and that is all you really need to get started with all-grain.

I recently bought a 50lb bag of 2 row. If you buy in bulk like this youll need a way to crush the grain. I had a corona mill on hand, thought it would suck, but its been fine for my needs. I cant see myself buying a fancy gorilla mill before a bigger brew kettle.

6 corny keezer! I'm jealous. I will make that jump when I get a bigger house. I thought about 10 gallon batches with what I have on hand, but it would be difficult and I would have to be verrry organized!

Old 07-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #25
samorg42
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 16

gupdike1: I strongly disagree that you can't "find a decent brew anywhere" in Utah. Wasatch, Squatters, Uinta, Moab, Shades of Pale, Epic and several others have won many awards in brewing competitions. I know several of the owners or brewmasters and those folks are very supportive of home brewers.
I've been doing all-grain for a couple of years using a 3 keg system. I buy sacks of grain from a brewer friend to cut cost, order hops in bulk, use Safale yeast or save my own and the costs go down dramatically. I bought most of my equipment used from other brewers and made my own mashtun. Next up- grow my own hops. Good luck. I'm not an expert yet but contact me with questions.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #26
yewtah-brewha
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samorg42 View Post
gupdike1: I strongly disagree that you can't "find a decent brew anywhere" in Utah. Wasatch, Squatters, Uinta, Moab, Shades of Pale, Epic and several others have won many awards in brewing competitions. I know several of the owners or brewmasters and those folks are very supportive of home brewers.
I've been doing all-grain for a couple of years using a 3 keg system. I buy sacks of grain from a brewer friend to cut cost, order hops in bulk, use Safale yeast or save my own and the costs go down dramatically. I bought most of my equipment used from other brewers and made my own mashtun. Next up- grow my own hops. Good luck. I'm not an expert yet but contact me with questions.
Makes me wana go to Wasatch and fill my growler. they do make quality beer and your supporting local business!

Old 07-16-2013, 11:44 PM   #27
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 280 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I'm in the southwest corner of Salt Lake County.

For the way-up-north, there is a homebrew shop in Richmond. I haven't been in it, but I saw it when I was at the city offices up there.

On deck: Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Hazelnut Sweet Stout, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #28
new2brew32
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernik View Post
I'm in the southwest corner of Salt Lake County.

For the way-up-north, there is a homebrew shop in Richmond. I haven't been in it, but I saw it when I was at the city offices up there.
I like the Richmond store. It is small, but well stocked. He sells 50# sacks of grain and is the only place I've seen with leaf hops not just pellets.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #29
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 280 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 20

The Beernut sells leaf. At least they used to. I haven't been in there looking for it for a long time. I don't know if Art's or Salt City sell any leaf of not.

Lately I've been on a New Zealand hop kick. So I've been using a lot of pellet.

On deck: Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Hazelnut Sweet Stout, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:45 AM   #30
GT944
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Cottonwood Heights brewer here as well! Very new to the craft - just started a cider last week and got supplied at SCBS - nice guys. Looking to start off their Irish Red kit in a month or so. I'm getting excited to have a few batches going and start drinking my own.

As for space - the lonely under-stair closet is my lair for now.... I'll be seeing about converting more space if I really take to this hobby.

Quick Reply