And you think Random DWI Checks are Bad....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin Dean, gotta agree with you on this stuff, it's getting crazy here.
For all of you out there who don't think smoke is bad for you, I gotta agree on that, that and the fact my farts aren't stinky either (hey, there is no proof)!!!!!!!!!!!

Jester369 said:
I gotta disagree on this one. If I spend a half hour in a bar with people smoking, I have trouble breathing. Now, you may say that that is just my problem, and you may be right. But, after that half hour I also come out of that bar smelling like cig-a$$. Would you be ok if people could just walk up to you and spray with a perfume of their choice?

Just sayin ;)

walking up and spraying someone is much different. People have the right to smoke and banning it is putting a ban on behavior plain and simple. I dont smoke and these bans are against your right.

EDIT: after I reread your post. I worded my previous post wrong. Yeah smoke stinks and what not but there is no physical proof that second hand smoke has any health effects

Not trying to start anything here just, crap thats thrown out on the media pisses me off

PeteOz77 said:
It smells very very bad.:mad:

:off: Second hand smoke doesn't piss me off half as bad as the smokers that seem to feel the best place for their butts is EVERYWHERE. Never been able to understand that attitude. I don't often see someone finish a coke or a candy bar and just FLICK their trash away. Yes it does happen occasionally, but not like the BILLIONS of Butts I see laying around..

BTW, did you see it's now illegal to smoke ANYWHERE indoors in FRANCE? WTF? FRANCE?

Sorry for the rant.

i see your point, but I also see just as many people throw, cans, bottles, gum wrappers, paper, fast food junk and countless other thigns to just as much

mot said:
i see your point, but I also see just as many people throw, cans, bottles, gum wrappers, paper, fast food junk and countless other thigns to just as much

No, not really... a LOT more butts than anythign else, and I see people trow butts that would not THINK of throwing a can, bottle or wrapper.. It's just a "COOL" thing I reckon.

And guess what? NONE of those other things start forest fires that destroy millions of dollars woorth of houses when they hit the ground.

For a LOT of smokers, the world is their ashtray.

Now let's get back on topic if we are going to continue this thread.

I promise this will be my last OT post to this thread! :D

mot said:
there is no physical proof that second hand smoke has any health effects

Let me clarify my earlier statement about having trouble breathing around smoke. It is not simply uncomfortable or unpleasant - I need medication! If that isn't a health effect, I don't know what is. ;)

mot said:
crap thats thrown out on the media pisses me off

I'm with you on that 100%!

:mug:

sorry guys for going off on a rant...but beleive me or not research it you will find tons of more info than you get from media and papers.

Cigarette butts vs other trash found on the ground = other trash makes the bigger pile

I doubt if there is any "evidence" that ramming a live porcupine up your a$$ is bad for you either. People who need documented evidence about something before they consider it dangerous are the ones who jump the fence and tease the lions.

I honestly couldn't care less if second hand smoke was a health hazard or not, it's just really unpleasant in a confined area. I can't stay in these places longer than 30 minutes though before I need fresh air. When I was a drummer in a heavily working club band, I'd be completely congested and miserable by the time I got home. I had to put a hamper by my front door for my gig clothes bacause it would make my bedroom reek if left overnight. Kind of ironic that I got out of that business just as smoking in bars/restuarants was banned in NJ.

cheezydemon said:
I doubt if there is any "evidence" that ramming a live porcupine up your a$$ is bad for you either. People who need documented evidence about something before they consider it dangerous are the ones who jump the fence and tease the lions.

yep and there is not a ban on that either

Jester369 said:
Yeah, but I'll bet there is a ban on someone else shoving it up you a$$ without your consent :D

(Sorry, couldn't resist!) :tank:

HAHA! no because I would have a choice to avoid it just as non smokers do

Bobby_M said:
I honestly couldn't care less if second hand smoke was a health hazard or not, it's just really unpleasant in a confined area. I can't stay in these places longer than 30 minutes though before I need fresh air. When I was a drummer in a heavily working club band, I'd be completely congested and miserable by the time I got home. I had to put a hamper by my front door for my gig clothes bacause it would make my bedroom reek if left overnight. Kind of ironic that I got out of that business just as smoking in bars/restuarants was banned in NJ.

Yeah! I remember when I worked in Hog barns for a living in Minnesota. I came home and my clothes smelled bad and so did I. Of course if you work with pigs, you are going to smell like ****...

I quit that job and found one that smelled better, instead of demanding that the pigs stop ****ting ;)

I am very happy that they have banned smoking in pubs and clubs, but I never had the ballls to complain about the smell when I was choosing to go in there.

I think smoking bans are ridiculous. Do cigarettes stink. Yeah, yeah they do. Should the government be able to step in and control what happens in somebody's business, no they shouldn't. People who don't want to go to bars that allow smoking shouldn't go. Don't give them your money, don't support them. Better yet, start your own pub and ban smoking. I am sure there would be plenty of business if everyone is so worked up about it.

cubbies said:
I think smoking bans are ridiculous. Do cigarettes stink. Yeah, yeah they do. Should the government be able to step in and control what happens in somebody's business, no they shouldn't. People who don't want to go to bars that allow smoking shouldn't go. Don't give them your money, don't support them. Better yet, start your own pub and ban smoking. I am sure there would be plenty of business if everyone is so worked up about it.

What? Let the market decide? That's FAR TOO AMERICAN for today's America;)

Applebee's made a success out of a smoke free bar. I'm all for smoke free bars. That way the pansy-a$$ non-smokers can't give me a dirty look for lighting up in a bar that does allow smoking. The funny thing here is that most small bars in Ohio are completely ignoring the recently passed smoking ban. It's just fun to light up a smoke while sitting under the state mandated sign that says, "NO SMOKING report violations to 1-800-867-5309"

Most smoking bans only ban smoking where it affects other people. They do not ban smoking. I have the right to not be negatively affected by your actions. The bans just legislate this.
Prior to the bans non-smokers who had difficulty with smoke or who did not want the health affects of it were forced to avoid bars, night clubs and most concerts. They had to avoid job/careers like bar tending, bands, some waiting jobs. Now everyone is free to enjoy those entertainments and occupations, the smokers just have to step out side or go home to enjoy their hobby. I see the ban as enforcing my rights.
As for the speeding controls, I'm going to have to think on it. I greatly doubt you will see it in the US except on a voluntary basis in fleet vehicles. The auto industry and property rights organizations would strongly fight it and they have plenty of influence. However I'm not entirely sure of my feelings on the subject.

Craig

Back