Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > You started. You stopped. You started again...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2007, 04:29 PM   #11
Uncle Argyle
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

I brewed a few batches back in the early 90's and had no clue WTF I was doing. And then a couple of years ago, for one reason or another, I decided to look into the beer making thing again...and lo and behold this Internet thingy has a TON of information...

I think that the lack of access to information is what drove a lot of people off...hell, that might even apply to today for those that don't know where to look.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2007, 03:56 PM   #12
jfrizzell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I got interested in brewing when I was in college. A local grocery store carried the ingredients and sold the equipment. I brewed a few 5 gal batches and enjoyed it. After I graduated, I had a job that kept me busy and traveling and I had no LHBS so I never really got back into it. Several years ago, I ran across a Mr. Beer kit. That got me interested in it again and after brewing a few different batches in the Mr. Beer system, I recently geared back up to do 5 gal batches again. I'll be brewing a Belgian wit this weekend and will be doing an Irish red after that.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:41 PM   #13
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Dunno, I brewed on through moves, having kids, basement remodels, what-have-you. When my beer gets low, it's time to brew.....

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 07-11-2007, 11:49 PM   #14
Brewtopia
"Greenwood Aged Beer"

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts

I'm with Bernie. I brewed my first batch back in November/December 1991 and never stopped. I've been steadily increasing the amount of batches every year since then. I now brew most every weekend and sometimes during the week. (By the way Bernie, the last batch brewed on Sunday was your Red Baron Bock. I'll let you know how it turns out) There are some things in the works right now that may see me brewing daily! I'll let you all know if/when that works out.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:03 PM   #15
z-bob
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I can only obsess about one hobby at a time Also once I reach a certain level of "mastery" at something, I lose interest in it and move on to something else.

Mostly using Papazian's "Complete Joy" and whatever his 2nd book was called (but really mostly CJHB) I made a few extract beers, then started partial mashing. I never progressed to all-grain just for lack of space, and the size limits of my lautering tun. About the time I got good at partial mashing, I got hooked on pistol shooting and reloading... That one hobby at a time thing...

I'm not sure what got me interested again, but for whatever reason it's time to pick it up again. I see a lot has changed in 10 years.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #16
Zuljin
16%er
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3619 Times on 3297 Posts
Likes Given: 559

I thought this would be about bad handjobs.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:38 PM   #17
LAHammer
Beer makes me look good!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
I thought this would be about bad handjobs.

Patience. It'll get there.

Sent from my flip phone using Morse Code.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:43 PM   #18
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 682 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 173

I brew until it gets too hot in the summer, Then when the beer runs out I say Oh! s#*t and brew until winter comes and it is too cold, then when the beer runs out.......

No real stop for me.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:51 AM   #19
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 379 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I took most of last year off because of a combination of back problems, sleep problems, and the associated medical bills. It's tough to brew when you can't do a lot of lifting and even if you could, most of your money is going somewhere else.

So instead I focused on some cheap builds. Got a used fridge for free. Made a temp controller. Made a stir plate. Made an IC. Picked up a keg for converting to a keggle (which is still in process).

Since I picked back up, I'm brewing 10 gallons every three months.

Back is better and brews are better.

I'm breaking this habit and throwing away three dress shirts and two T-shirts this year.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:45 PM   #20
jafo28
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Started, stopped, and started again just like this thread.

I don't consider myself stopped, only on pause. My wife and I moved into her mother's house in the spring while our house is being built. No room over there for my brewing stuff, so I sold most of it off. I've been gathering components for a new single tier stand, when we move in. Only have a month and a half to wait.

Droop Stop Brewing Co. Founded July 2010

Quick Reply