Yooper test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, everybody likes to make fun of us dumb Yoopers and the way we talk.
We are sick and tired of hearing about how dumb people are supposed to be in the U.P., and we challenge any so-called "smart" ass Troll to take this exam:

1. Calculate the smallest limb diameter on a White Pine tree that will support a 200 pound Black Bear.

2. Which of these cars will rust out the quickest when placed on blocks in your front yard?

(A) '65 Ford Fairlane
(B) '69 Chevrolet Chevelle
(C) '48 Ford N-8

3. If your uncle Eino builds a still which operates at a capacity of 20 gallons of shine produced per hour, how many car radiators are required to condense the product?

4. A woodcutter named 'Bob' has a chainsaw which operates at 2700 RPM. The density of the pine trees in the plot to be harvested is 470 per acre. The plot is 2.3 acres in size. The average tree diameter is 14 inches. How many Budweiser's will be drunk before the trees are cut down?

5. A front porch is constructed of 2x8 pine on 24-inch centers with a field rock foundation.. The span is 8 feet and the porch length is 16 feet. The porch floor is 1-inch rough sawn pine. When the porch collapses, how many porkey-pines will be killed?

6. A man owns a house in Toivola with 3.7 acres of land with an average slope of 15%. The man has five children. Can each of his grown Yooper children place a mobile home on the man's land and still have enough property for their electric appliances to sit out front?

7. A 2-ton truck is overloaded and proceeding 900 yards down a steep slope on a secondary road at 45 MPH heading into L'Anse. The brakes fail. Given average traffic conditions on secondary roads, what is the probability that it will strike a vehicle with a muffler?

8. With a gene pool reduction of 7.5% per generation, how long will it take a town like Engadine, which has been bypassed by the highway, to breed a country-western singer?

I betcha thought that there test was gonna be an easy one, din'tch ya? It's okay if'n y'ouse didn't do all that well. Just goes to show ya, there's a heap of things that big city book-learning don't prepare ya for in U.P. life.

As an added bonus for taking the "YOOPER CHALLENGE", here's some NORTHERLY advice that may come in handy down the road a piece ....

Next time you are too drunk to drive, walk to the nearest pizza shop and place an order. When they go to deliver it, catch a ride home with them. Works for me ! (Keep in mind, however, that approximately 3 towns in the whole UP have pizza delivery. So, this only works in the three towns that have delivery. Since we don't have cabs either, be prepared to walk if you haf ta.)

3. If your uncle Eino builds a still which operates at a capacity of 20 gallons of shine produced per hour, how many car radiators are required to condense the product?

Excuse me mam, but since distillation is illegal in the US we don't discuss these things here. I am going to have to report you to one of our forum naz...er I mean wonderful mods. :D

:tank:

Next time you are too drunk to drive, walk to the nearest pizza shop and place an order. When they go to deliver it, catch a ride home with them. Works for me ! (Keep in mind, however, that approximately 3 towns in the whole UP have pizza delivery. So, this only works in the three towns that have delivery. Since we don't have cabs either, be prepared to walk if you haf ta.)

Isn't this from a Captain Morgan commercial?

Either way...great post! I love Michigan though... great snowboarding and I can ride a snowmobile to the bar.

We are sick and tired of hearing about how dumb people are supposed to be in the U.P., and we challenge any so-called "smart" ass Troll to take this exam:

1. Calculate the smallest limb diameter on a White Pine tree that will support a 200 pound Black Bear.

1.137"
2. Which of these cars will rust out the quickest when placed on blocks in your front yard?

(A) '65 Ford Fairlane
(C) '48 Ford N-8

A

required, 1. used, 4.
4. A woodcutter named 'Bob' has a chainsaw which operates at 2700 RPM. The density of the pine trees in the plot to be harvested is 470 per acre. The plot is 2.3 acres in size. The average tree diameter is 14 inches. How many Budweiser's will be drunk before the trees are cut down?

5. A front porch is constructed of 2x8 pine on 24-inch centers with a field rock foundation.. The span is 8 feet and the porch length is 16 feet. The porch floor is 1-inch rough sawn pine. When the porch collapses, how many porkey-pines will be killed?

6. A man owns a house in Toivola with 3.7 acres of land with an average slope of 15%. The man has five children. Can each of his grown Yooper children place a mobile home on the man's land and still have enough property for their electric appliances to sit out front?

yes, they are Yoopers
7. A 2-ton truck is overloaded and proceeding 900 yards down a steep slope on a secondary road at 45 MPH heading into L'Anse. The brakes fail. Given average traffic conditions on secondary roads, what is the probability that it will strike a vehicle with a muffler?

1 in 682
8. With a gene pool reduction of 7.5% per generation, how long will it take a town like Engadine, which has been bypassed by the highway, to breed a country-western singer?

96 years

Ya der, Yoops, I may make funna da way youse talks up der, but da trut be told, youse talk the same as all da farmers round here, so I speak your language pretty good. I pretty much think youse Yoopers are just northern cheeseheads anyways, dontcha know. So I ain't takin yer test, so der. But I'm hungry fer a pasty..........so why dontcha bring me one, one time der hey.

(A) '65 Ford Fairlane
(C) '48 Ford N-8
B chevelles are horrible about rusting out rear wheel wells first. N-8 will last forever
3 if they are 5 core and there is a 10 mph (or are u far enough north for the km? :D) wind
0 Bob likes michelob
0 they are to busy with the aspens yoop planted last spring

yup those 5 kids will also increase the population by 2.5% as well

A 2-ton truck is overloaded and proceeding 900 yards down a steep slope on a secondary road at 45 MPH heading into L'Anse. The brakes fail. Given average traffic conditions on secondary roads, what is the probability that it will strike a vehicle with a muffler?
1:34 depends on time of year current tourist conditions and how the saw mill is doig at the moment
or its a trick and there is a weight limit on secondary roads......:drunk:
250 generations

I betcha thought that there test was gonna be an easy one, din'tch ya? It's okay if'n y'ouse didn't do all that well. Just goes to show ya, there's a heap of things that big city book-learning don't prepare ya for in U.P. life.

As an added bonus for taking the "YOOPER CHALLENGE", here's some NORTHERLY advice that may come in handy down the road a piece ....

(A) '65 Ford Fairlane
(C) '48 Ford N-8

1. The one that breaks?
2. Cars on blocks never rust out they just get purdy
3. Nobody uses car radiators, Truck radiators are easier to find.
4. 247 Bath Tubs
5. None we done ate them for dinner last night
6. We tried the lectric fridge but pa go rid of it after he got lectricuted getting a beer
7. Whats a muffler?
8. I'm a country singer after 20 gallons of shine

8 inches; but why don't we get that tasty bear and make a dinner.

(A) '65 Ford Fairlane
(C) '48 Ford N-8

A - I seen old arse Fords rust...

4 ( thinking 5 gallon radiators)

None cause you paid him in homebrew to cut the timber.

None they were already "killed" prior to the porch being built..

Yes.. plus 8 cars on blocks and at least two ford fairlane's rusting. Don't forget the in-laws mobile home too!!!

Whats a muffler?

Will never happen cause they confuse the WESTERN with BEST WESTERN

See above for my answers.. what do I win?? :fro:

I was right with you until you got to porky-pines. We didn't have any in Appalachia, we had groundhogs under the porch.

I can shenanigans! At least half of these questions have MASSIVE errors in them.

In question 2, there wouldn't be a '48 Ford on blocks. Some flatlander cousin would have already hauled it away to restore and the Yooper would be laughing as he spent the money on Natty Lite.

4 is also incorrect, because they wouldn't have spent the money on full octaine bud. Natty Lite or The Beast.

5. the lab/Shepard/mutt would have cleaned out the porkys

7. Is this in summer or winter? That is the big question. In winter the chances are higher because YooperJoe takes better care of his snowmobile than the family car...

I only bring 8 up because ask a kid I thought that the diner on the corner of 2 and 117 should have been called the Enga-Dinga-Diner.

Also, no mention of sauna out to camp? I say WTF out loud...

3.625" Diameter

(A) '65 Ford Fairlane
(C) '48 Ford N-8

We don't talk about Shine here :D

0, You guys have good beer up there everywhere.

Zero, but you will have holes in the bottoms of your shoes if you were standing on the porch at the time.

Yes, they will also have enough room for the community pool in the back of the 84' Ford Ranger in the side yard.

Not very high. It will most likely strike a vehicle the the front bumper.

163 years. First they'll have to figure out how to write.

There ya go. Simple :mug:

3-3/8" if it's not frozen

(A) '65 Ford Fairlane
(C) '48 Ford N-8

Trick question, the '48 was rusted when it got there.

7 if it is double distilled.

Another trick question. Budweiser wins and the harvest is never completed.

Depends on the size of the couch.

Another trick question. Major appliances are placed behind a trailer in the UP.

1 of 4 if it is in the spring and the pot holes have not yet been filled.

This would depend entirely on the promiscuisnous of the town's piano teacher.

I call fake! You pinched this from a good old boy site. If this was really a yooper test, there would be at least one question on how to retrieve your ice-fishing shack after the thaw.

I call fake! You pinched this from a good old boy site. If this was really a yooper test, there would be at least one question on how to retrieve your ice-fishing shack after the thaw.

Well, we all KNOW how to retrieve a shack after the thaw, so that's too easy!

Speaking of ice-fishing, we had two trucks and an ATV go through the ice this past weekend. Different lakes, different incidents. Everybody was ok, but one of the guys lost his dog that was in the truck. The men were able to open the truck windows and swim out, but they couldn't get the dog out.

Ice conditions are pretty bad- there is some thick ice, but there is about 5-6 inches of slush on top, insulating the lake so the ice can be treacherous. My son-in-law to be is an avid ice fisherman and I keep telling him "be careful!".

Well, we all KNOW how to retrieve a shack after the thaw, so that's too easy!

Speaking of ice-fishing, we had two trucks and an ATV go through the ice this past weekend. Different lakes, different incidents. Everybody was ok, but one of the guys lost his dog that was in the truck. The men were able to open the truck windows and swim out, but they couldn't get the dog out.

Ice conditions are pretty bad- there is some thick ice, but there is about 5-6 inches of slush on top, insulating the lake so the ice can be treacherous. My son-in-law to be is an avid ice fisherman and I keep telling him "be careful!".

We're already going two - three miles out on Saginaw Bay. I never had the nerve to ask my insurance agent if my ATV was covered if I lost in through the ice, 3 miles out. :(

Trick question! We all know 'Bob' drinks homebrew. Answer: 0.

Hmmm, although you didn't ask; "How many Budweiser's will Bob drink before the trees are cut down?" You just asked how many Budweisers will be drunk. Worldwide?

Back