Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Yeast cell count

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
mattstanke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast cell count

Made a double IPA with a OG1.094. I made a 1000mil water 1/2 cup DME yeast starter. It has been about 30hr and is fermenting well multiple bubbles every 2 to 5 sec. I guess my question is I was excepting it to blow off does this mean I should off added more yeast and if so when should I add more

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 04:44 AM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 957 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 2028

No, blow off or lack of blow off is not an indication of yeast health or vitality. Have you had a chance to take a look at the yeast pitching calculator at www.mrmalty.com? It can be a great help. FYI, for an ale at the gravity you hit, it suggests a bigger starter than you made. But, if you have active fermentation, all is well.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2259 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 1241

Different yeasts and different grain bills will have varying chances of needing a blow off. Krausen, or lack thereof, does not necessarily indicate yeast health or pitching amount.

Only the rate of fermentation and the attenuation can tell you for sure if you pitched enough healthy yeast.

If it's going good now, then just let it continue. It will likely be fine. Although that does sound like a small starter for a beer of that Original Gravity.

Quick Reply