Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Yeast cake & Trube in bread?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2006, 06:25 AM   #1
Grimsawyer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Yeast cake & Trube in bread?

I love Pizza, I love beer... who here dosn't... Has anyone ever used the yeast cake/trube from their primary as yeast in bread? I know you can use some of the spent grains in bread, and have read about it, but the yeast cake? Here's my plan when I rack my Limey Skalleywag (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11676) to 2nd. Just going to toss it in an old one gallon glass jug with a airlock on it with about a 20oz of beer in it. After brewday, maybe a few days later I plan on using all that beer and trube plus some spent grains, maybe a cup, tops, probly 1/2 cup, in some bread dough. There should be some hoppy flavor to it so might make a good bread. Going to roll it into a pan pizza crust. Has anyone used spent yeast from brewing in bread? Does it taste as good as regular yeast? Better? Worse, maybe even terrible? (can't imagine it would) I use to make pizza all the time, but since I bought a house I havn't baked but a hand full of pizzas. I'm due to make one soon and was wondering if this would work. Think I'll try it reguardless, just would like some imput. I mean what else goes better with pizza than beer and better with beer than a beer-crust pizza? Maybe a Beer-crust pizza with Beer-boiled brauts?..... mmmmmmm..... Wonder what a beer doughnut would be like...... Maybe the yeast cake & trube from a maple beer in the dough for a maplebar... hehehe

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2006, 06:38 AM   #2
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I think that sounds really gross, but I think I would eat it.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:44 AM   #3
mysterio
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I must admit I've thought about this too. Post the results!

Old 08-01-2006, 01:46 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I've seen recipes for bread using spent grain, but this is a new one. Let us know how it works.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply