*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The World Cup Approacheth

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #11
blackwaterbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

come on, gremlyn, everyone knows FOOTBALL is a game where you throw the ball with your hands, catch the ball with your hands, tackle with your hands and block with your hands. only the kicker can touch the ball with his FOOT. and he is the least talented player on the team! wait a minute.........

Primary-
Lagering-
Primary-
secondary-
secondary-
on tap- lemongrass kolsch
on tap- stout
on tap- small mead
bottle-sweet mead
bottle-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2010, 11:20 PM   #12
ubermick
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Thats a great opinion..... it's wrong but still a strong and valid opinion.

I dunno. Relying on Jozy Altidore - a bloke who couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo in the few games he got with Hull City - doesn't really inspire a whole lot of terror in the opposition.

I'm still mad at the dirty filthy cheating French, by the way...

Old 06-03-2010, 11:31 PM   #13
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermick View Post
I dunno. Relying on Jozy Altidore - a bloke who couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo in the few games he got with Hull City - doesn't really inspire a whole lot of terror in the opposition.

I'm still mad at the dirty filthy cheating French, by the way...
True and true.

Any way we can get all the (rightfully) pissed-off Irish to start supporting the US team? At least then if a riot breaks out during the US-England match, the US fans'll stand a chance...

Old 06-03-2010, 11:54 PM   #14
ubermick
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palefire View Post
True and true.

Any way we can get all the (rightfully) pissed-off Irish to start supporting the US team? At least then if a riot breaks out during the US-England match, the US fans'll stand a chance...
Mwahahaha!

Y'know, I actually had a chat about this with a Nigerian mate of mine a while back. Here's the thing. While on a lot of levels we want football to do well here, we also root against the US national team. It's because the American way seems to be "we want to be good at something, so we'll throw arseloads of money at it until we're the best". America kills everyone at the Olympics, America rakes it in at the Winter Olympics, and America calls the winners of it's domestic sports like padball, basketball, baseball etc. "the world champions".

So I think the rest of us look at football and think "Go away! It's ours!" (Didn't help that when the MLS started, it had all sorts of bat**** rules like shootouts, countdowns, stopping the clock, etc., which I'm glad to see have been done away with) Basically we're all terrified of having to suddenly hear it referred to as "saw-ker" and players getting "eeee-jected" instead of a red card!

Still, when it comes to the English, you can bet yer arse I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy!

Old 06-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #15
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Not really going to apply now

From fifa.com
Quote:
Edson Buddle scord twice to stake his claim for a starting spot against England next Saturday in the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ as the United States beat Australia 3-1 in Roodepoort. The Los Angeles Galaxy striker, who is leading goalscorer in Major League Soccer so far this season, fired both goals, his first at senior level for his country, in the first half of an open and entertaining game.

With first-choice frontman Jozy Altidore sitting out the game with a mild right ankle sprain, Buddle showed perfect timing in advancing his cause for a role in next weekend's Group C opener. Herculez Gomez, another back-up striker, also showed his worth by coming off the bench to score the third in the 93rd minute.
Look out England...

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 06-06-2010, 07:13 AM   #16
ubermick
Recipes 

Australia in a friendly doesn't really compare to a competitive match against a team jammed with world class talent.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Ing-ur-lund well and truly stuffed, but...

Old 06-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #17
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
I actually know very little about futbol (but learning) however both my kids play and love the game so I am learning. My oldest is going to Brazil to play this summer and will get to attend a World Cup game while he is there.

You asked for smack talk, I was just helping get it started.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #18
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 514 Times on 395 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I'm really glad that the USA and England are in the same group. If we both get through, it means we don't face each other again for a while. It would have been heartbreaking for me if they met each other in the second round and one of them were knocked out early by the other.

USA has a better team than many Americans give them credit for. If they keep their composure then they can do well. England could also do well, or very badly.....That's the nature of the game and the England team.

I'm looking forward to this!!!

Old 06-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #19
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 514 Times on 395 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palefire View Post
if a riot breaks out during the US-England match, the US fans'll stand a chance...
While I'm in the corner beating the crap out of myself!

Old 06-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #20
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
While I'm in the corner beating the crap out of myself!

That is not a mental image I needed.

Last edited by Joker; 06-08-2010 at 03:58 PM.

Quick Reply