Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The World Cup Approacheth

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2010, 01:54 AM   #101
ubermick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I wouldn't say that both sides had many opportunities, Reno - I thought England (gags while saying it) deserved the win. After Gerrard's goal, I had a horrible feeling it was going to turn into a hammering, especially when Onyewu was standing around scratching his arse when it went in.

Credit to the States though, they got back into it, and could have nicked it with Altidore's chance (read my earlier post about him as a forward, shocked he tried to go near post from that angle, would have been better served cutting a little inside and shooting across). England crapped the bed though, stupid personnel decisions (Milner - someone who's never started a competitive international, playing while sick with a virus; Ledley King playing with one usable leg; and throwing Green in there "just to confuse people" when James is their usual number one), Heskey fluffing a wide open goal (he's blaming the ball!!)... that group just got REALLY tight, especially with Slovenia winning. Now both England and the USA will certainly HAVE to beat Slovenia to get out of that group.

Germans looked terrifying today. And not very German-like, too. Some excellent passing, fantastic in possession, pretty football, and an absolute menace coming forward. Some of the younger lads they have in their squad are real gems.

The French are still cheating scumbags.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #102
Ouroboros
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermick View Post
Germans looked terrifying today. And not very German-like, too. Some excellent passing, fantastic in possession, pretty football, and an absolute menace coming forward. Some of the younger lads they have in their squad are real gems.
Yes, they looked pretty good. Against Australia. Let's see how they fare againt a stronger side.

Quote:
The French are still cheating scumbags.
Did you see Henry bitching for a handball in the box? Ugh. It wasn't a handball, but anyone knows about not getting a much-deserved handball called, it would be him. Or Maradona.

Pondering: Roggenwein, Irish Red, Another Single-Hop IPA, Roggenbier w/ local wild yeast
Primary: Hefeweizen, Nugget Single-Hop IPA, Chamomile Wheat
Secondary: Saffron Metheglin
Bottled: Belgian Strong Dark, Saffron Wheat, UK Barleywine, Tripel, IIPA

Old 06-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #103
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Seriously. They put the hurt on. Best looking team so far, I think. (Emphasizing the "so far," though).

And even though they didn't get a "real" goal, I was still impressed with the US - for, oh, 65 minutes out of 90, they actually looked like a team that knew what it was doing. We'll have to see what happens in the next few games - if the US views this last game as a good starting point from which to move forward, they may be ok. If they view it as accomplishment enough, they're screwed.

Go Japan!

Old 06-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #104
catspajamas
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
Did you see Henry bitching for a handball in the box? Ugh. It wasn't a handball, but anyone knows about not getting a much-deserved handball called, it would be him. Or Maradona.
to have the audacity to bitch like that when the only reason your team is their is because youre a cheating bastard is pretty damn funny. i really hope mexico and uruguay get out of that group and send those froggys home.

i still cant believe cahill got that straight red. absolutely horrible officiating. not like it would have affected the game, but tim is a big part of that aussie offense and its gonna hurt when they are playing ghana.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:26 PM   #105
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

An Irish Bar here in SF (O'Neills by AT&T/Giants ballpark) is giving away free beer every time a team scores against France.
They received tons of publicity about it; probably was packed.
Of course, the first France game was 0-0.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #106
JayInJersey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So according to my calculations...USA has to win out to NOT play Germany right?

Old 06-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #107
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInJersey View Post
So according to my calculations...USA has to win out to NOT play Germany right?
If what everybody expects to happen in Group D comes true, then yes USA needs to be the points leader in Group C in order to not play Germany. However, I don't see any reason why Ghana can't beat Germany. I remember them being surprisingly good four years ago (yeah, can't forget that one... Ghana kept USA from advancing) and I can only assume they've improved since. We'll just have to see.

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 06-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #108
Ricand
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Wow, I try to watch soccer but...

imagessoccer.jpg  

Old 06-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #109
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 509 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricand View Post
Wow, I try to watch soccer but...
I can understand the frustration if you are a fan of American football. You get to see 30-60 points scored within the whole 11-12 minutes of actual play (Play is defined as the bits between the ads and the ass scratching while everyone figures out where they want to restart)

You just need to understand the immense importance of a goal, if and when it is scored against the importance of simply getting the ball to the other end.

Thought: if the low scoreline is a problem, maybe we should play without keepers! England would LOVE that idea!

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Last edited by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible; 06-15-2010 at 06:34 PM.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:01 PM   #110
JayInJersey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Whoa now...don't go bashing good ole Football.

I like soccer...but then again I truly believe the best Football games are when defenses shut down offenses...a good 6:3 game makes me giddy.

#1 Goal is to see the Superbowl live
#2 See a ManU home game

See some Americans can go both ways =D

Quick Reply