Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The World Cup Approacheth

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default The World Cup Approacheth

After what seems like forever (months, really) it seems as though the World Cup is finally here.... almost. Having played soccer non-stop since I was 4, I have watched the American people's opinion of soccer turn from treating soccer players as they would lepers to actually appreciating the game and showing support. I was incredibly pleased to see the gigantic crowd at Team USA's send-off game against Turkey last week, all of them dressed to the nines in patriotic gear. And, keeping up with South America, Europe and many eastern Asian countries, we even had bands/drums in the stands, complete with songs/chants fans would sing along with. It would appear that the final frontier of soccer has finally been invaded.

I hope all the Americans in here will be rooting for Team USA. There is a distinct possibility that we could win our group and move on to the quarter finals; we are matched-up with England, Slovenia and Algeria (in that order.) England is beatable and our 23-man squad is definitely up to the task.

World Cup coverage starts June 11th, the opening match is South Africa (the host) vs. Mexico. SA is a quality team and worth a watch.

Team USA's first match is against England and airs June 12th at 11:30am PST on ABC, pregame at 10:30am. ESPN3 will play the replay the following day.

Also, we have one more friendly match before the tournament starts this Saturday against Australia. It's at 5:30am PST but you can watch it at any time on ESPN3.

LET'S GO USA!!! SHOW THE REST OF THE WORLD WE MEAN BUSINESS!

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Last edited by Reno_eNVy; 06-03-2010 at 03:40 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
BraveSirRobin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I actually think that the US has the draw and talent to make a splash in this world cup. If the US and England advance from our group then in the second round our potential (likely) matchup would be the winner from Group D, Germany. The Germans have a depleted roster right now, they've lost something like five starters to injuries already. I think we could really pull off an upset there and have a lot of confidence heading into the quarters.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1940 Times on 1403 Posts
Likes Given: 1061

Ok, wait... So you mean that The World Cup is all about soccer??

Huh.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hah! Win your group, good luck! England is taking the group, USA can fight it out for 2nd. Algeria knows their place and are gunning for the US to take 2nd in the group behind England (that really is their team's view on the group). I find it unlikely that the US will knocked out first round, if that's any consolation for you...

Commence trash talk!

Old 06-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #5
Gremlyn
Recipes 

FIFA did a few polls of their users on their website to see what everyone thought would happen in the groups:

Quote:
In our Group C survey, England and Algeria were neck-and-neck at the top for a long spell, before Fabio Capello’s side just sneaked home at the end. Some 44.78 per cent plumped for Wayne Rooney and Co, with an impressive 44.47 per cent opting for the North Africans instead. USA (9.33 per cent) and Slovenia (1.42 per cent) are very much the underdogs in this case. British tabloid The Sun trumpeted “The best group since the Beatles!” in the wake of a draw considered to favour the English, but events on the pitch are ultimately all that matters.
Full article: http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/ne...age+favourites

Old 06-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlyn1 View Post
Hah! Win your group, good luck! England is taking the group, USA can fight it out for 2nd. Algeria knows their place and are gunning for the US to take 2nd in the group behind England (that really is their team's view on the group). I find it unlikely that the US will knocked out first round, if that's any consolation for you...

Commence trash talk!
Thats a great opinion..... it's wrong but still a strong and valid opinion.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #7
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think we'll need to start an official World Cup trash talk thread. Which could get really interesting when the US finally gets knocked out of the tourney...

I'm pulling for US to finish second in their group. Suck it, Slovenia!

Old 06-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #8
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Thats a great opinion..... it's wrong but still a strong and valid opinion.

Thaaaat's what's up my friend

Gremlyn, yeah that may be what the poll says but it's a fifa.com member poll and I'd be willing to bet 75% of the users are non-Americans who still think we're the same country who hosted the 1994 World Cup after the inaugural year of the MLS. Before that all we had to face the professionals of the world were dinky college students. It's a different story now, with the MLS actually producing good players and the fact that much of Team USA plays for European clubs.

This year is actually supposed to be the culmination of the efforts to make Team USA a contender. It started with Project 2010 in the 90's to put a larger focus on youth soccer in America, followed by the implementation of Generation Adidas (also known as Project-40.) For the first time, they scouted high school players as they do in the NBA/MLB/NFL with the intentions of recruiting straight to the professionals. They picked the 40 best players in the country and worked from there. Clint Dempsey and Landon Donovan are good examples of what the program produced.

And yeah, we can make this the official World Cup trash talk thread. Maybe a mod could just change it to such.

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 06-03-2010, 07:28 PM   #9
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 2705 Posts
Likes Given: 112

I'm down, I haven't really followed the sport since highschool but did play 7th grade through 12th. Wouldn't it be hilarious if it was soccer that brought this nation back together. I plan on tuning in.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 06-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #10
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Just because the US players are on non-US teams, doesn't mean they are international stars. The US won't be great at soccer until they start calling it by it's REAL name... football.

Quick Reply