Woodworking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arturo7

Reaction score
Any one else into building stuff as well as brewing?

I've got the beginnings of a decent woodshop in my garage; table saw, drill press, router and table, a nice DIY bench and a decent selection of hand tools. Hope to have a chop-saw soon.

After doing some simple cabinets and drawers in the past, I've been dormant for a couple years.

My goal is to populate my yard with furniture over the summer. The new homebrew keg set-up in the garage fridge should make it easy to get helpers.

Anyone know of a good woodworking forum?

Cheers

Never really looked for a forum but I recently finished a built in 'stereo/AV cabinet' in the living room complete with cable management and drawer slides so I can get to the back of any given shelf of gear.

Just this week I ripped out a window surround the previous owners had put in and replaced the cheap, warped, dark stained pine with some nice oak to match the cabinet.

Also built a 'drawer' in one of the kitchen cabinets (so we don't have to reach in to get to the back) and have plans for doing several more, including the bathroom.

Once we replace the tube TV we have with a flat screen, I plan to cover the current alcove/cubby the television lives in with a 'secret door' bookcase and maybe even hide my speakers behind the bookcase.

I've got a table saw/router table (ryobi bt3000) and an assortment of power tools and hand tools. Probably the most useful item: air compressor and air nailer. That and a power sander totally cuts down the prep time. I sometimes wish I had a better dust handling solution, instead of the little shop vac thing I've got going on.

Ive got quite a few things but need more

Compressor, brad nailer, finish nailer, staple gun
Circular saw, Jig, sawsall

Need table saw and router!

I've been dabbling in woodworking for about 18 years now. I've got a table saw and a couple routers. Lately I haven't done much though. My garage is a mess and I just haven't been into it as much. I always did enjoy creating things and I hope to someday get back into it.

Yeah-- my garage used to be a mess. I discovered the garage was less useful when it was messy (surprise, surprise!) I've made an effort to keep it more useful this year and have been pretty successful. Once it became more useful I found myself doing more stuff there.

Things that have helped with that:

-Sweeping the floor weekly. Sweeping the floor is a misnomer of sorts... I actually use a wand on the compressor to blow the dirt out the door.
-making a rule: nothing stored on the floor unless it has wheels (which facilitates sweeping the floor)
-organizing the occasional party that features something going on in the garage
-making a rule: any project not 'active' must be contained in a plastic tub for easy storage on the shelving.
-I installed shelving on almost all the wallspace and made a rule: everything has to be in a plastic tub
-I got rid of all solid colored tubs--- if I can't see in it from the outside, I don't keep it (also started only buying tubs with lids attached, not loose)
-Organized my tools and made it a habit to leave the tool box drawer open till I replace the tool

Now I just need to figure out some behavior changes to keep crap from piling up on the work bench.

Totally the change that made the most difference is everything I did to make sure I could routinely sweep the floor. That's been HUGE!

Another thing that has evolved from that is using a modified scrum project management methodology to keep the SWMBO and I on track to get things done around here. Keeping projects moving has helped a lot.

edit: Re-reading this it makes me seem like some sort of OCD nutjob or serial killer in training. Trust me, my implementation of these processes is a little less than perfect. The garage looks lived in, trust me.

I've got the beginnings of a decent woodshop in my garage; table saw, drill press, router and table, a nice DIY bench and a decent selection of hand tools. Hope to have a chop-saw soon.

After doing some simple cabinets and drawers in the past, I've been dormant for a couple years.

My goal is to populate my yard with furniture over the summer. The new homebrew keg set-up in the garage fridge should make it easy to get helpers.

Anyone know of a good woodworking forum?

Cheers

The Forums at Fine Woodworking and Fine Homebuilding are very active and helpful. I was active there for a while, but have since let my membership slip. I'm sure I'll go back when life settles down a bit. One of the reasons I joined HBT was the "feel" of the community was similar (helpful and humorous. They use SWMBO too, but not EAC as far as I can tell)
I am just wrapping up a total kitchen overhaul myself. I'm approaching the 2 year mark, but have been going in fits and starts.

-Sweeping the floor weekly. Sweeping the floor is a misnomer of sorts... I actually use a wand on the compressor to blow the dirt out the door.
-making a rule: nothing stored on the floor unless it has wheels (which facilitates sweeping the floor)
-organizing the occasional party that features something going on in the garage
-making a rule: any project not 'active' must be contained in a plastic tub for easy storage on the shelving.
-I installed shelving on almost all the wallspace and made a rule: everything has to be in a plastic tub
-I got rid of all solid colored tubs--- if I can't see in it from the outside, I don't keep it (also started only buying tubs with lids attached, not loose)
-Organized my tools and made it a habit to leave the tool box drawer open till I replace the tool

Thoses are some good tips. I would do well to adopt a couple few of them. My garage is a fraggin mess.

Those are excellent tips, kornkob. We think you're a crazy OCD serial killer for other reasons rather than your immaculate garage. I've been a woodworker ever since I worked in a cabinet shop way back in 1997. I'm buying my own place pretty soon, and soon I'll have my own garage again! I've made a few wooden computer cases, I made my last workbench, restored an old writing desk, and other nidbits here and there.

Korn is right on about the busy floor, busy workbench, as well as not seeing things you have

A minor tip for packrats like me: gather small like-items and put them in a medium size ziploc bag: stays together, can see what it is, does not take much space.
An example would be an assortment of computer fans and internal PC cables, or, say, storm door hardware.

I made this
house001.jpg

I would like to get more into woodworking, as opposed to the rough carpentry stuff. One of my good friends has a complete woodworking shop and built all the cabinets and a killer bar for his house. It's just hard to find the time:eek:
I will say there's nothing more rewarding than building something yourself.

That is a beautiful home Wildwest.

I have always wanted to do some woodworking, but have never really had the space. I am drawing up plans for a wood framed brewing sculpture that can be built with simple hand tools.

I play around with woodworking.
The past year or so, i've been staying away from "building" and have centered my attention more to my lathe. I've got alot of hours, alot of sawdust snot and splinters from turning pens, taps, bowls, etc etc..

It's different, simple, inexpensive and wifey seems to enjoy it as well!

I made this
house001.jpg

Well that kicks my fermentation cabinets ass hardcore (in sig)........ I wish I had a workshop, I love to build stuff, and do a small amount, the only thing keeping me from doing more is my current living space.... One day when I am actually making money instead of relying on SWMBO's paycheck I want to build me a custom garage/workshop/brewery....

One day.....

Latest posts

Back