*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Wood Cockroaches and Box Elder Bugs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2007, 03:04 AM   #1
Biermann
Reinvented Biermann
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Wood Cockroaches and Box Elder Bugs

I've got a problem with both Wood Roaches (you know, the smaller, harmless, cleaner, diurnal relatives of house roaches), and Box Elder bugs. I live next to the woods, and these damned things wander into my house constantly, and I can't figure out where they're coming in at. I've looked at vents, doors, windors, etc, and I can't figure it out.

They are scaring the $#it out of my 2 and 4 year old, even though both species won't replicate in the house, and don't cause any harm. I still don't like having the little buggers around.

Any suggestions?? Are there any chemical barriers available?? Anyone else have this problem??

--------------------------------------------------------
On Draft: Old, Stale, Oxidized beer

Holding tanks:Sold
Conical #1:Sold
Bottles: Nichts
On Deck:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2007, 03:12 AM   #2
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

I screwed around for a couple of years trying to get rid of the ants around my house, to no avail. I called an exterminator last year, no more ants. Give the professionals a call, you won't be sorry.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:17 AM   #3
Biermann
Reinvented Biermann

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did a search on the internet about wood roaches, and most exterminator places suggested just putting up with them, as they never establish themselves indoors. A couple of places even suggested that treating firewood (breeding ground for these things) does no good, and isn't recommended. It still looks bad during a party when one of those brown suckers runs across the floor between all of your guests, and they instantaneously think you have a roach problem.

I know they make some sort of barrier spray for ants---I wonder if this would work for the wood roaches.

--------------------------------------------------------
On Draft: Old, Stale, Oxidized beer

Holding tanks:Sold
Conical #1:Sold
Bottles: Nichts
On Deck:

Old 03-23-2007, 03:24 AM   #4
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

ok before I even start this is gona sound retarded but bear with me . . .

1. p1ss in a jug for about a week and save it. The older and worse it smells the better
  2. take 1 cup of that p1ss
  3. a cup of lemon scented dishsoap
  4. a cup of tobaco juice (a GOOD pinch into a quart of boiling water steep until ya get everything ya can outa it)
  5. fill a 20 gallon hose end sprayer about half full with water, other half with the mix of p1ss, juice, and soap
  6. spray everything in your yard every week until they leave

I will make your grass green as all hell and grow like a SOB but works like a charm.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:24 AM   #5
alemonkey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Roaches **shudder**. I had a nasty apartment with a major roach problem right after I got out of college. I only wish they had been wood roaches.

I don't know if there's anything you can do for box elder bugs. Every year we get a ton of them here.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:26 AM   #6
Ivan Lendl

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biermann
I've got a problem with both Wood Roaches (you know, the smaller, harmless, cleaner, diurnal relatives of house roaches), and Box Elder bugs. I live next to the woods, and these damned things wander into my house constantly, and I can't figure out where they're coming in at. I've looked at vents, doors, windors, etc, and I can't figure it out.

They are scaring the $#it out of my 2 and 4 year old, even though both species won't replicate in the house, and don't cause any harm. I still don't like having the little buggers around.

Any suggestions?? Are there any chemical barriers available?? Anyone else have this problem??
Do you have bird feeders around? All I know is, we dont have a box elder bug problem and the name of my street is Box Elder Arch and these trees line the street. But we have tons of birds everywhere, maybe they eat them...

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Barbarian IPA
Up next: Configuration 9

Old 03-23-2007, 03:26 AM   #7
Ize

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

John's right Bier. If the kids are getting freaked by em' screw it and hire someone to take the little bastards out.

Before I had this house I had an apartment that was LOVED by wasps. I'd find corpses all the time but never saw em' moving. The kicker came one morning though as I was trying to get my eldest (he was 3 at the time) out the door and he said "Look daddy, a fly" as I see this bugger hovering over his head... That was it. Phone call+Landlord+Exterminator=End of Story.

I tolertate insect life outside to a point. But come into my space? Dead bug.

Ize

Sig to re-open when it's less of an embarassment
What I do for a living on the web... www.wsoyam.com

Old 03-23-2007, 03:38 AM   #8
Vermicous

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Both my parents are entomologists and I will ask if they have any suggestions. However, give your local university extension a call, chances are they get calls like this all the time.

I'm like a chocoholic, but for booze.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:58 AM   #9
AleHole
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa
ok before I even start this is gona sound retarded but bear with me . . .
  1. p1ss in a jug for about a week and save it. The older and worse it smells the better
  2. take 1 cup of that p1ss
  3. a cup of lemon scented dishsoap
  4. a cup of tobaco juice (a GOOD pinch into a quart of boiling water steep until ya get everything ya can outa it)
  5. fill a 20 gallon hose end sprayer about half full with water, other half with the mix of p1ss, juice, and soap
  6. spray everything in your yard every week until they leave

I will make your grass green as all hell and grow like a SOB but works like a charm.
How in the hell would you ever think to concoct such a nasty combo of ingredients? Does this actually work and have you done it yourself, or are you just seeing if someone would actually make this, spray it around their house, and own up to it?

Old 03-23-2007, 04:00 AM   #10
feedthebear
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

There are so many ways they can get in. Vents in your roof, through the door when you open it, holes in window screens, where wires enter your house...

Get a kitten. Nothing more fun for a kitten than killing box elder bugs. My flame-point siamese stabs them with his claw, bites them, flips them over, and watches their legs flail in the air until they die.

My black siamese mix just catches and eats them. Spiders too.

Otherwise, I've used wasp spray on the places they (box elder bugs) like to hang out, like the 1" gap between my wood fence and my house.

Drinking: Cab.Sav/Merlot Wine, Grand Cru, Hazelnut Stout #3, Ordinary Bitter

Quick Reply