Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > wiping laptop hard drive and starting fresh

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012, 01:12 AM   #21
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
runningweird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: State Line, PA, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,089
Liked 85 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

most of my storage is used to house an ever changing selection of tv shows and movies. We no longer have cable and with kids going to see a movie is nearly impossible to enjoy. so storage is a must. go newsgroups.

__________________

My 6 Tap Long Draw Tower Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/long...-tower-271578/

runningweird is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #22
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
runningweird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: State Line, PA, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,089
Liked 85 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

I got the vertex 4 ssd - only 128 gb but I think it will work. My computer seems a bit snappier and the boot time has been cut in half. at the moment I highly recommend these drives. I will be sure to come back and repost if something goes wibbly wobbly.

__________________

My 6 Tap Long Draw Tower Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/long...-tower-271578/

runningweird is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #23
Brew-Happy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lubbock, Texas
Posts: 1,332
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningweird View Post
I got the vertex 4 ssd - only 128 gb but I think it will work. My computer seems a bit snappier and the boot time has been cut in half. at the moment I highly recommend these drives. I will be sure to come back and repost if something goes wibbly wobbly.
So what OS did you go back with?
__________________

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley
Brew-Happy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #24
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
runningweird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: State Line, PA, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,089
Liked 85 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

I used the recovery disks that came with my thinkpad - just to make sure the drive would play nice with the hardware. Going to try running a linux os off a disc for a little while to see if it works then I will probably make the switch.

__________________

My 6 Tap Long Draw Tower Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/long...-tower-271578/

runningweird is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #25
Brew-Happy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lubbock, Texas
Posts: 1,332
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningweird View Post
I used the recovery disks that came with my thinkpad - just to make sure the drive would play nice with the hardware. Going to try running a linux os off a disc for a little while to see if it works then I will probably make the switch.
Sounds good. There are tons of distros for Linux so try them all on LiveCD or LiveUSB.

Also, if you need to run a windows program on a Linux comp it is easier to do through VirtualBox https://www.virtualbox.org/

Install Linux on your laptop.
Install VirtualBox in Linux.
Then install your Windows version inside of VirtualBox.
Then you can install the Windows based program in Windows VirtualBox.

It's like giving your comp a split personality.
__________________

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley
Brew-Happy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools