LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010, 01:13 PM   #101
Brewer_Steve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
I understand that the mounted police are pretty big up there, but come on!!
Actually, mounties are not so big up here. We do have them, but they don't ride around town on horses or anything.

The closing ceremonies were a little tongue-in-cheek, and showed a lot of Canadian stereotypes. Pretty funny stuff. The question is whether other countries realized we were poking a little fun at ourselves with the stereotypes, or whether other countries will think that our cops actually ride around on horses down Main Street, and that we have pet moose.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #102
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer_Steve View Post
Actually, mounties are not so big up here. We do have them, but they don't ride around town on horses or anything.

The closing ceremonies were a little tongue-in-cheek, and showed a lot of Canadian stereotypes. Pretty funny stuff. The question is whether other countries realized we were poking a little fun at ourselves with the stereotypes, or whether other countries will think that our cops actually ride around on horses down Main Street, and that we have pet moose.
I don't think anyone would believe we have pet moose because of the sheer size of them. Most of us keep beaver as pets but they come with their own challenges. They're often very fast little buggers and they'll escape from the house and go romping down the street. If left untended they'll actually begin to cut down trees in people's yards! So it's not unusual to see a bunch of Canadians running around town chasing beaver. In fact, chasing beaver can sometimes be considered a popular winter pasttime up here.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #104
Memorex88
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
I don't think anyone would believe we have pet moose because of the sheer size of them. Most of us keep beaver as pets but they come with their own challenges. They're often very fast little buggers and they'll escape from the house and go romping down the street. If left untended they'll actually begin to cut down trees in people's yards! So it's not unusual to see a bunch of Canadians running around town chasing beaver. In fact, chasing beaver can sometimes be considered a popular winter pasttime up here.
I used to chase beaver all the time when I was younger!

Old 03-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #105
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Congrats to Canada for Hockey Gold, most gold medals evar, and a great olympics in general. I'd love to go to BC some day.

IMO, the Canada Women's Hockey Team should not have apologized. They had absolutely nothing to apologize for. They worked their butt off, played their butt off, and then did what every other friggin' team does after a championship victory. If anything the sports media owes them an apology for being so judgemental. Baseball teams have champagne-spewing parties in their plastic covered locker rooms just for making the playoffs and nobody bats an eye. And these women get flak for a private party on the ice? Double standard imo.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 03-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #106
JohnnyO
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 894 Times on 840 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer_Steve View Post

Sorry my Canadian friends. I hope you didn't take my post as a slight against Canada. I think Canada did an amazing job in hosting the Olympics. I don't recall ever watching this much of the games before this year.

I just felt the closing ceremonies were a bit weird. But that's culture for you. Everyone else's can seem strange when viewed through another's eyes.

I agree with whomever posted that they would love to come up and visit one day. I had never thought of doing that before.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:05 PM   #107
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
Sorry my Canadian friends.
Don't apologize to those hoser's! They stole our gold in mens hockey. Admit it, you were out played and lucked out!

Old 03-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #108
Memorex88
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Don't apologize to those hoser's! They stole our gold in mens hockey. Admit it, you were out played and lucked out!

Old 03-02-2010, 12:01 AM   #109
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
We lucked out? Were you watching the same game wild-dude? (Maybe you only saw the last five minutes of the third period.)

Old 03-02-2010, 01:06 AM   #110
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
We lucked out? Were you watching the same game wild-dude? (Maybe you only saw the last five minutes of the third period.)
Maybe not "lucked" out, but the US did carry the play most of the game.

Quick Reply