Wine and the PLCB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoebisch01

Reaction score
I dropped by the Liquor store last evening because I felt like having some wine (shocking I know), and there were boxes after boxes of all these really high scoring 85+ points wines at really good prices all over. I have seen occassional boxes on previous visits, but this was unreal. They were at every corner and in the middle of the aisles, so much so that it was hard to walk down the aisle. Does anyone know why this would be? Is there some kind of surge of wine interest?

I suspect a PR campaign. The PLCB got into a little bit of trouble over their "Chairmans Selections" recently. Some of the purported values may not be as good as the buyer is led to believe from the adds.

Chairman’s Selections compare the actual price with the “suggested,” “quoted” or “regular” price. According to the article, such comparisons may be misleading because a few of the Chairman’s Selection wines are not sold in any other state.

Nothing new I guess. Just like "sales" stickers that are still the regular price. Man I hate that one. Same for adds in fliers that imply something is on sale. Then you go to the store and actually look at the regular price, and you see that the flier advertized price is the same. Everbody assumes that flier prices are deals.

Hehe, that makes sense. That was it the "Chairman's Selection". I was wondering about the prices as well, although if it is under $15 and rated well I often opt to try it anyways just for the experience. But it was crazy how many they had there (N Atherton).

Back