Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Windows Vista Blows

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2008, 03:50 AM   #11
RodfatherX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warped04 View Post
It gets worse. As of June 30, 2008, you can't buy XP anymore.
What a bunch of F'n BS. F MS in the A with no KY.

^^^ I think that is still work safe :-)

MS finally got something right with XP and instead of letting it live on....they want to kill it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2008, 04:57 AM   #12
Rick_R
Still Love Fried Chicken
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
As of June 30, 2008, you can't buy XP anymore.
I'll bet it'll be going at a premium on eBay.

Rick

Old 06-22-2008, 07:41 AM   #13
Warped04
I am Wally

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah. I just got this email:

Quote:
* Windows® XP Information:
Per the Microsoft® Windows Life-Cycle policy, Direct OEM and Retail License Availability for Windows XP will End-Of-Life (EOL) on June 30, 2008. To meet Microsoft’s June 30 last-day-to-ship OEM Windows XP deadline, June 18 is the last time to purchase a Dell laptop, desktop, or workstation with an OEM Windows XP license.
After June 18th you have the option to purchase Windows Vista Business or Windows Vista Ultimate with a downgrade service to Windows XP Professional. This option will be available on XPS 630, 720 H2C, and M1730 systems. After June 18th, Windows XP will no longer be offered on currently available Inspiron laptops and desktops.
They figured they'd have all of the bugs worked out before this point. It's the reason why I didn't upgrade in the first place. I knew it. Just like windows 3.11, 95, 98 & 2000. It always took them a year to figure their stuff out.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:02 PM   #14
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Restore worked fine and restored full functionality.

I was thinking that you couldn't roll back SP upgrades. I think this was true with SP 3 for XP.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:05 PM   #15
Rick_R
Still Love Fried Chicken

Recipes 

Last computer I bought was when Dell insisted everything had to ship with Vista. They wouldn't sell the system I was interested in with XP; they had only one system that was, at that time, shipping with XP and it wasn't the one I wanted. Because of the inflexibility of Dell on the OS, I went to a boutique gamer PC company to purchase. Call me crazy but seeing as how it was my money I thought I ought to have some say in what I was buying.

I'm sure there was an agreement between MS and Dell that made Dell a lot of money by offering almost all systems with Vista as the only OS choice; hopefully they lost enough revenue by people going elsewhere to offset anything they made.

Rick

Old 06-22-2008, 02:34 PM   #16
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R View Post
Last computer I bought was when Dell insisted everything had to ship with Vista. They wouldn't sell the system I was interested in with XP; they had only one system that was, at that time, shipping with XP and it wasn't the one I wanted. Because of the inflexibility of Dell on the OS, I went to a boutique gamer PC company to purchase. Call me crazy but seeing as how it was my money I thought I ought to have some say in what I was buying.

I'm sure there was an agreement between MS and Dell that made Dell a lot of money by offering almost all systems with Vista as the only OS choice; hopefully they lost enough revenue by people going elsewhere to offset anything they made.

Rick
Same deal with the Toshiba I bought however I went the other way and got it anyway. In retrospect I should have dealt with the OS when I first got it rather than 8 months later.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:39 PM   #17
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well, here's my thoughts...

I have 5 laptops (3 of which work) and a Frankenstein desktop...

My work laptop is a Toshiba Satellite, Intel Pentium Dore Core running Windows Vista and honestly other than the initial headaches of figuring out how to properly install network printers and all that, Vista has been good to me. I run programs in compatibility mode for Windows XP service Pack 2 with Admin Rights and everything is fine.

I have a Sony Laptop running Windows XP with no issues other than 2 Hard Drive re-formats due to my own mistakes, the Sony has been my workhorse through college and to this day does my wife well...

I have 3 Dell Laptops all with Linux (Ubuntu) on them and once I have them up and running decently I might run Ubuntu on a partitioned HD on my Sony.

My Dell Frankenstein Desktop is running a Pentium 4 processor with 1gb of ram and 120gb of storage and is running Ubuntu on that machine as well... no issues to date.

The only downside is that I need AutoCAD for work and other programs that aren't supported by Linux, so right now Linux is a "casual" OS for me and not one I use for work. If Linux had full support of AutoCAD (other than running it through WINE) I would make the switch without a doubt... Windows is open to too many viruses and I could do without the crashes every so often, Ubuntu is free of all the crap and honestly I think it's easy to use (everyone claims that you have to know special codes to operate Linux and honestly, it's no different than having to teach yourself Windows so there is no big deal for me).

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 06-22-2008, 10:09 PM   #18
-Dan-
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Working in the IT industry ... most people complaining about Vista just don't know how to use it since a few things were moved around and placed at different spots. With a very few options you can make your Vista look just like XP if that suits you better. On all computers that have been purchased within the last 2 years (at least) Vista runs very stable. In case Vista doesn't recognize hardware, talk to your computer manufacturer.. HP, Dell, etc. are quite good with releasing new drivers if necessary. If they don’t, it’s not Microsoft’s problem.

Linux/Unix is also not really the solution to call (human) problems. I use Red Hat, Debian, Ubuntu, and FreeBSD. If you think Vista causes you some "trouble" by not understanding where everything is located, have fun with Linux. Also, hardware incompatibility is way higher on all *unix os' even though they have gotten quite good in the past 3-4 years.

Bashing Microsoft (including Vista) is the same way people complain about AB, C-M, etc. However, most people complaining are buying BMC quite often. Oh and before I forget: If you have a Vista license, you can use XP with that license key. Just call Microsoft’s licensing department and they will issue a key for XP. I hope I didn’t offend anyone…if I did, I didn’t mean it.

Kulturgüter Hopfen und Malz, Gott erhalt's!

Old 06-22-2008, 10:28 PM   #19
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Dan- View Post
Working in the IT industry ... most people complaining about Vista just don't know how to use it since a few things were moved around and placed at different spots. With a very few options you can make your Vista look just like XP if that suits you better. On all computers that have been purchased within the last 2 years (at least) Vista runs very stable. In case Vista doesn't recognize hardware, talk to your computer manufacturer.. HP, Dell, etc. are quite good with releasing new drivers if necessary. If they don’t, it’s not Microsoft’s problem.

Linux/Unix is also not really the solution to call (human) problems. I use Red Hat, Debian, Ubuntu, and FreeBSD. If you think Vista causes you some "trouble" by not understanding where everything is located, have fun with Linux. Also, hardware incompatibility is way higher on all *unix os' even though they have gotten quite good in the past 3-4 years.

Bashing Microsoft (including Vista) is the same way people complain about AB, C-M, etc. However, most people complaining are buying BMC quite often. Oh and before I forget: If you have a Vista license, you can use XP with that license key. Just call Microsoft’s licensing department and they will issue a key for XP. I hope I didn’t offend anyone…if I did, I didn’t mean it.
To me learning a new OS is kind of interesting. My problem has been when the Vista OS doesn't recognize my drivers.

1. I had trouble finding a driver several months ago for my printer.
2. Still don't have a driver for my card reader.
3. With the SP1 upgrade Vista ceased to recognize my sound card. (Who knows what else)

To me MS has some responsibility for making sure the drivers will work. I don't think the software is ready for release otherwise.

I know that Apple doesn't release software until they have resolved driver issues.

Just my opinion though

Old 06-22-2008, 10:55 PM   #20
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Dan- View Post
most people complaining about Vista just don't know how to use it
I have few issues with the way Vista is laid out. It's pretty easy to use. My problem with Vista is that it's completely bloated. MS crammed way too many stupid "features" into it. For example, the animated graphics and widgets are irritating and gobble system resources. Even with all of the animations turned off, the "Aero" theme disabled, and only McAfee running in the background, Vista reports that over 600MB of 2GB is being used. The CPU usage is relatively low, but it spikes wildly with every OS operation. Even simple tasks like moving a window around on the desktop forces CPU usage up over 50%! An OS should absolutely not require that sort of computing power just to exist.

Quick Reply