Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Windows 8: One Hot Mess

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2012, 04:05 AM   #11
ingchr1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
The best of the worst: just try finding the "Shut Down" function. It's buried in Settings
Yeah, I ended up creating a shutdown shortcut on the desktop, along with one to the all apps menu.

Chris

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 04:12 AM   #12
max384
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 356

I'm certainly no computer guru, but I REALLY hate this new Windows 8. I loved XP and have been happy with 7 (HATED Vista)... but 8 just feels like a cheapened shell of an operating system. It has pissed me off enough that I was considering going to Apple for my next computer (despite being so utterly pissed with Apple that I went with an Android phone after 5 years of iPhones)... But maybe I will give Linux a try. Windows 8 has really turned me off to Microsoft. I truly hope they realize their mistake and go back to a familiar format... Otherwise I'm done.

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” -Winston Churchill

IBA # 56,419

Old 12-25-2012, 04:18 AM   #13
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I really hope that this isn't the direction they are going with all versions of Windows from now on. I can deal with sticking with Windows 7 for now, but to think that it might be the last functional version ever is kind of scary. But it seems so incredibly stupid for Microsoft to ignore the consumers who don't want their PC reduced to a smartphone - let alone actual BUSINESSES - that I still have hope that they'll still produce a proper OS.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:21 AM   #14
BetterSense
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've been Windows-free since 2007. Praise the Lord.

The desktop Linux ecosystem has had its share of turmoil in the same period, but at least you always have choices.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #15
Rick91981
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Anyone stuck on Win 8 give this a try

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Old 12-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #16
g-love
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
Got a google chromebook for emil and the kids to mess with......still miss my mac.
Quick derail... CD, do you like it? I was thinking about getting one for email and surfing purposes. I don't do much "work" on my laptop any more.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #17
hillhousesawdustco

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Got a laptop two weeks ago and figured might as well take the plunge to windows 8...hate it too. I've figured out some work-arounds to quick launch the work stuff I regularly need but it is still a piece of crap in my opinion.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #18
BrewerBear
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafSmith View Post
After years of kicking around the idea of switching to Linux, just the reports I've read about Windows 8 have finally pushed me to make the move. I've been looking at Linux Mint (Cinnamon edition) and like what I see. Hoping I can get it installed sometime after Christmas. Will dual boot with XP for a while until I learn what I'm doing with Linux - definitely a big learning curve, but I think it'll be worth it.
Linux Mint is very easy to use,it's what is my main OS. You can run it from a live disk also.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #19
ingchr1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 14

It wouldn't be so bad if at least they gave the option to boot straight to the desktop vice the start/tiles. I don't use any of the apps in the tiles and some require you to be logged into your Windows account to use. I start the computer up as a local user with no password, I see no need to have to log into a computer when its in my house. Then what, I'd have to log off so someone can use the computer? The other problem I have with it not starting in the desktop is that I have a Logitech media server that doesn't startup until the desktop is launched.

It makes you wonder how the OS got into the market and what practical testing they did on it in a desktop environment. It's definitely a problem when people have to make work arounds right out of the gate.

Perhaps they will take all the feedback and issue an update to fix it.

Chris

Old 12-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #20
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I recently installed a new SSD for my boot drive on my tower. I was thinking about going to Windows 8 (still might) but stuck with 7 for a couple of reasons. I do like the faster boot from the SSD but I know Win 8 is faster. Finding the shutdown item isn't difficult or complicated (pulls away from the right side of the screen. Just like getting to the 'all apps' isn't difficult or involved.

I do agree that Win 8 is geared more towards touchscreens. But with how many of those are coming put now, its not surprising.

If I upgrade the version of Roxio I have, I'll give Win 8 a shot on my tower. Since I had done a backup recently, it won't be so bad. As for the login aspect, I do that now. Difference is I log into an AD domain at home. Yes I have an AD DC at home (I'm in IT as a VMware admin).

I would advise not judging after just two days. Give it a week or two. Read up on the differences (before you go to it would have been better) so you know what you're in for. Look at it like buying a car. You wouldn't just go off the outside appearance and a spec sheet, right? Unless you've already given the make/model/version a test drive.

BTW, you can add apps to the tiles as well as the taskbar without too much effort.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Quick Reply