Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Windows 8: One Hot Mess

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1380 Times on 1115 Posts

Default Windows 8: One Hot Mess

So I had been doing my typical months of over-analyzing before a significant purchase, in this case a new laptop for my business. I have a lengthy criteria list that wasn't easy to satisfy, but I finally worked through the cement-boots thing and sprung for a pretty killer machine.

But it came with Windows 8.

And Holy Jeebus, for anyone that actually wants to do anything even remotely considered "work" on a Windows 8 system, you have to fight your way through that POS user interface at every step.

The best of the worst: just try finding the "Shut Down" function. It's buried in Settings, of course!

I've been designing computer systems and hardware since 1973, used every incarnation of Windows since the beginnings, and coming from Windows 7 Ultimate - definitely the bestest everest Microsoft OS - this is such a precipitous down-grade it's hard to believe it ever made it out of their shop. I have no clue what they were thinking with the whole Tiles thing being the default desktop, and turning the classic "Start Menu" into a multi-screen tour full of shortcuts. I've only had this system for two days and it's already driving me crazy with the random acts of lunacy.

As soon as I get a USB3 external drive hooked up to this thing to create some system images and a restore CD, I'll be shopping for a shell ASAP.
I also have an available Windows 7 Pro license I may move to this laptop as the primary OS and dual-boot with W8, if only to be able to test some of the CAE stuff I depend on when their respective developers claim W8 compatibility.

Windows 8 is inevitable, but at this point I may be hanging on to W7 until it gasps its last breath of MS support.

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
firestem4
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Time to come to the dark side and use Linux where you can :-).

I'm a computer tech and ive had pretty much the exact same reservations as you have about windows 8. The OS is not designed for a serious user. The interface is a serious debauchery of practical and efficient design. Ill be sticking with Windows 7 until i have no choice but to upgrade.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #3
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Isn't really made for Pad's? Someone told me that was the direction they are going. I played with it at Sam's club and made me think of my Sam 7" touch screen.

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 12-24-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
firestem4
Recipes 

It is. They're attempting to create an enclosed market - like ecosystem where they get a cut of all the profits and tighter control over content on their system. They essentially are trying to create a platform like apple. The interface and all of the improvements to the OS for Windows 8 are geared toward tablets. They (imo), unwisely made this the default environment for the normal desktop operating system rather than having a more IOS vs Mac differentiation. In the business sense it makes sense to create a homogenous environment. But this severely affects users who 1) don't care for touching their monitor. I and 2) don't want to fiddle around with an interface on their workstation that was designed for an entirely different method of input. And that input method runs through the whole OS making it extremely cumbersome to navigate and or operate. Things that were non-trivial before are now impossible to find (like trying to shut down the computer)

Old 12-24-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
Chipster27
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Isn't there a setting so it will emulate the old W7 format? I thought I read/saw that somewhere.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:13 AM   #6
firestem4
Recipes 

Not really. As far as I've read the start menu has been gutted from the OS. Samsung is creating a software package that will reproduce this behavior though. I'm sure many people will create interface customizations to fix the Win8 UI. That at least is one of the good things about windows. Customization has been available for a long time and will continue to be!

Old 12-25-2012, 12:22 AM   #7
dstranger99
Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I have really lost faith in Windows, I loved 95', 98'. Windows Millennium was a disaster, XP was great, Vista sucked, Win 7 is nice, It's like every other OS is complete Sh*t.......I don't even use explorer anymore, Use firefox & Chrome, and Itunes for music......

Primary: Caribou Slobber

Kegged: Stout

Bottled: Cent Blonde, Jakes Brown, Stout

I love Yooper........

Old 12-25-2012, 12:27 AM   #8
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1649 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Got a google chromebook for emil and the kids to mess with......still miss my mac.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:29 AM   #9
DeafSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

After years of kicking around the idea of switching to Linux, just the reports I've read about Windows 8 have finally pushed me to make the move. I've been looking at Linux Mint (Cinnamon edition) and like what I see. Hoping I can get it installed sometime after Christmas. Will dual boot with XP for a while until I learn what I'm doing with Linux - definitely a big learning curve, but I think it'll be worth it.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:10 AM   #10
certaut
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have done network security for over a decade and after a few years I dumped winders and use Linux exclusively. I charge my clients a surcharge for MS networks and as of the first I will no longer renew the service agreements with those clients. The up side of dumping MS is I no longer need to read the disaster recovery how-to's and no longer have to take a few weeks of my life learning the hoops to jump of the new OS.

the brewer makes the beer, not the equipment
let the beer tell you when it is finished

Quick Reply