Windows 7 or Android 3?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to purchase a tablet and could use some more info before I do. Basically I've narrowed it down to two brands and a few models. The main decision is between the operating systems they run. I know there are brewing applications for Windows [7] but is there anything solid out there for Android 3.x? I'm looking at 10" screens so no phones here. I'm NOT getting a device from apple so don't even bother to post about those items. IF there is good software for the Android 3.x OS that can also import my BeerSmith recipes then its one step closer to being the choice.

So if you have a tablet running either platform and have brewing softwarw on it, post up. I'm also interested in hearing real world experiences with either platform. Especially if the devices are from either Acer or Asus. I'm trying to limit the amount spent to under $600 initially.

I have a Velocity Micro Cruz Reader in the kitchen that I use as a cookbook, essentially.

What it does have, is a neat little app that lets me send URL's directly from Chrome on my desktop, to the browser on the device.
http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/23/chrome-to-android-push/

At any rate, most of my stuff is on Hopville or on my Dropbox as a .txt file and an Android device works fairly well for that.

As far as Android apps go, I know there is Brewzor:
http://brewzor.com/

Whatever you buy, make sure it doesn't have a resistive touch-screen.

The Windows 7 tablet is going to run anything that a normal Windows 7 PC or laptop will run as long as it meets the sys requirements. It will also integrate better with other Windows 7 PC's or laptops you currently have. As for Android I have seen that whatever version you get is what you are stuck with. Like for example if you buy a tablet with Android 2.2 then you are stuck with 2.2. The latest and greatest is 3.0 and they will probably have a new version out in a few months. I don't think you can upgrade them.

As for Android I have seen that whatever version you get is what you are stuck with. Like for example if you buy a tablet with Android 2.2 then you are stuck with 2.2.

That is pretty much the polar opposite of what I believe to be correct.

As for Android I have seen that whatever version you get is what you are stuck with. Like for example if you buy a tablet with Android 2.2 then you are stuck with 2.2. The latest and greatest is 3.0 and they will probably have a new version out in a few months. I don't think you can upgrade them.

That is simply not true. Depending on the manufacturer of the Android device, major OS updates are pushed OTA (or over WiFi if you don't have a SIM card), typically free of charge.

Before I rooted my HTC Nexus One, I was already up to Android 2.3 just from OTA updates that started at either 2 or 2.1 - but I've been able to install just about any flavor of android on it that I want. Right now, it's got the latest copy of MIUI / Android 2.3. My Cruz Reader also has a different ROM on it from stock, so that I have full access to the Android Market.

I don't want to get into a Rooted vs. Non-rooted debate, because it would be the same discussion as installing Linux, a hacked copy of OSX, or a different version of Windows on a Win7 Tablet.

Tablets are perfect for browsing. A little trickier to use as an everyday PC. In my opinion.

I used to drink the apple coolaid, but that ended some time ago. IMO the apple tablets are simply too limited for me.

My only concern with going with either Windows 7 or Android 3 is future OS updates/upgrades. Such as when Android 3.1 comes out or when the next major version comes out. Since that was just announced I don't want to not be able to get it. Or at least have the option available to me.

Still a coin toss between the two platforms.

Don't know much about tablets but congrats on avoiding apple...I hate mac anything.

That is simply not true. Depending on the manufacturer of the Android device, major OS updates are pushed OTA (or over WiFi if you don't have a SIM card), typically free of charge.

Before I rooted my HTC Nexus One, I was already up to Android 2.3 just from OTA updates that started at either 2 or 2.1 - but I've been able to install just about any flavor of android on it that I want. Right now, it's got the latest copy of MIUI / Android 2.3. My Cruz Reader also has a different ROM on it from stock, so that I have full access to the Android Market.

I don't want to get into a Rooted vs. Non-rooted debate, because it would be the same discussion as installing Linux, a hacked copy of OSX, or a different version of Windows on a Win7 Tablet.

What I mean is if you are on version 2.whatever you are not going to be able to move up to Version 3. whatever and so on. A lot of Android Tablets are that way especially some of the cheaper ones.

I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't be loading up the next full release of Windows onto the tablet, that comes with Windows 7 on it. Although I might be able to, depending on how things work out. IF I go the Windows route, I'll be sure to get one with a full sized USB port either in the main unit, or available via a dock.

I need to see if any local stores carry the different models so that I can go and put hands onto them. That will be a much better test/evaluation method. Otherwise I'm just going off of information posted/provided by others.

I am leaning more towards the Windows side since I know I will be able to load software and connect online via my BlackBerry with that. Connecting either via USB cable or Bluetooth (between devices)... Not that I plan on needing to do that too much, it's just nice to have the option. I'm not about to pay for another service plan JUST to be able to go online without a wifi signal/hotspot.

Just purchased the Nexus S phone. It's a Google phone with Android 2.3 (gingerbread, i think). So far I'm loving it. There are tons good free apps like Pandora and Netflix. Homebrewtalk also has an app for android!

Just purchased the Nexus S phone. It's a Google phone with Android 2.3 (gingerbread, i think). So far I'm loving it. There are tons good free apps like Pandora and Netflix. Homebrewtalk also has an app for android!

1. Don't care about Netflix or pandora at this point. Not looking to watch any movies on the device. I have enough other computers/hardware to do that in a much better way. When I'm brewing, I don't care about watching movies.
2. While the HBT app is a nice idea, it's not even on the list of things needing to be considered. I'll be able to get to the HBT site with the devices/platforms I'm looking at just the same.

I'm keeping my BlackBerry phone (Storm2) for at least the coming 12 months. I have that long before I'm due for a new device.

Also, I'm not even thinking about getting something running the 2.x version of the Android OS... If it's not running 3.x it's not on the 'consider' list. Just like any older versions of Windows are out.

I'm more interested in using brewing software on either. I know there won't be an issue with the Windows 7 tablet. I'll be able to install BeerSmith onto it easily and use that (especially the coming new version). I would be interested in knowing IF the software for the Android 3.x OS will accept BeerXML file imports or not. If not, then that's a negative mark on that platform's side.

I use Brewzor on my android phone (droid x), it's pretty handy, and free.
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.brewzor.pro.beta

It's also beta software...

From the page you linked to: "THIS VERSION IS *BETA* AND *WILL* HAVE BUGS."

Sorry, but I won't make a decision based on some beta software being available. Granted there are some other apps (it appears) for brewing out there. I just have to see how many are in beta and how many are not. I need stable software in this case, which excludes the majority of beta releases. The software is beta for a reason... Once it is a final/stable release, I would consider it. If that doesn't happen before I'm ready to make the purchase, then it's another negative mark in the Android platform's column.

You also have the option to test out android software on your computer, http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2183...le-android-on-your-pc-without-buying-a-phone/

Don't know if that appeals to you, but it may help you make a decision

Considering how I just had a ~$450 repair bill on the truck (went in for an oil change) and also need to get new tires real soon (another ~$700 gone) I won't be getting the device as soon as I had wanted. When I am ready, it's looking more like I'll be going with an Acer device, probably the Acer Iconia Tab W500... I will just have to confirm that I'll be able to connect my BlackBerry up to it, and just run the tethering software to get online that way (when not near a wifi hot spot)...

Still, since it's probably at least a month (or two) away now, who knows. Something really desirable could come out for either platform, or a model could disappear, driving me in a different direction.

I have the Acer. Tablet and love it anything on your android phone runs in here that I have found and it is super fast. Easy to use and the battery will last for an easy 7 to 8 hours lve it and would recomend into anyone

I have the Acer. Tablet and love it anything on your android phone runs in here that I have found and it is super fast. Easy to use and the battery will last for an easy 7 to 8 hours lve it and would recomend into anyone

Good to hear about the Acer tablet... Look long enough and you'll find good, and bad, reviews on anything... Most of the time, only people who have something to complain about post reviews. Or they mostly like it, but over-state shortcomings to the extent that they seem huge.

I'll just need to make sure that I can install Windows 7 Pro onto the tablet. I'll want to bind it to my AD domain here at home. I have plenty of legit keys that I can use to perform the install with (TechNet subscription :D) so that's no issue. I also have an external (USB) optical drive that I could connect to the tablet. If I can boot/install from that, then I'll be all set. Being able to use my home domain will make things much easier on me. Pretty sure (but will try to confirm) that the Android tablet won't be able to do that at all.

I could also just get the Acer Iconia W500P model... I'll need to search to see if anyones updated/upgraded the OS on the regular one to Windows 7 Pro yet. IF not, for a few dollars more, I can get the upgraded OS model...

Procrastination is always your friend in high tech. Take the wait as a positive. The performance and reliability within the tablet space is going to gain in the coming year. I build the stuff and know what is about to come. You probably know the feeling of buying a something near the high end only to see it for half the price a year later with other things twice as fast. Netbooks were the initial craze only to be found out to be junk. There are now good netbooks out there but there's something shinier and newer people are pushing. Tablets are the latest craze and are just starting to be acceptable. Look how the reviews of the Ipad2 to the original Ipad made it seem like light years of advance.

Honestly I'm a huge Android fan. It's opensource which may sound scary but honestly the advancements in fixes are so beyond anything Apple or Microsoft can do. Plus you have to pay for their way of doing things. Not my thing.

Apple does have the latest stable hardware, OS and what I believe advantage. I would be happy to wait and see the advances in Android Tablets in the next six months. There's a bunch of new releases of hardware that are going to be better in reliability, performance/speed and battery life. I'm not a real big Microsoft fan but I'm sure they will be in the mix as the general public uses it.

I'm sure within six months there will be Android tablets to give Apple a run for it's money. Apple did a good job in pricing the Ipad so low. It's a marketing gimic to get the audience into their buying trap. I think the microprocessors are collapsing in price and I'm sure there will be good buys around Xmas.

I do use Brewzor on my Android Incredible and it is simple but does it's job. I'm actually half way to rewriting Brewtarget for my phone. I'm not pushing it because using it on small phone screen won't be worth it. I'll probably use it just to read BeerXML files. I'm just doing as an exercise to write my own Droid Apps. I do like using Brewtarget on my Windows platforms.

Procrastination is always your friend in high tech.

I've seen this for the last 6 years. I'm still procrastinating. I keep waiting for something new that I can't currently do. All the rest is just fluff that is not needed. I'm just amazed when people pull out the newest techno gizmo and immediately disappear into another world.

Do you have the tablet running Windows 7 or the Android OS??

I'm still on the fence as to which one to get. I know the Windows 7 Pro tablet will run all the software I want, plus I'll be able to connect it to my BlackBerry to get online (if/when I need to)... If I could do that with the tablet running the Android OS, then it's one more item that's no different. I did try out brewzor today (on a buddy's Android powered phone)... Not overjoyed by it, but it might do in a pinch. I'm also interested in knowing if the Android 3.x OS can be joined to an Active Directory domain or not. I have an AD domain running here at home, so it would make things easier if it could join that too.

Is there any other good brewing apps coming out for the Android platform? Something in line with BeerSmith? If not, then I'm still more inclined to get the version running Windows. Just means it might be a bit longer before I get it. Especially since I ended up putting new tires on the truck over the holiday weekend... Another $800 down the drain.

With everything else coming up needing to replaced, fixed, or purchased, I'm not sure how long it will be before I actually get the tablet. Especially since I have a perfectly good laptop (Lenovo X301) that I can use on brew-day... Would just be a bit more convenient to have something like a tablet to carry around.

I would say Android!! The market will be way better than anything that Windows has at this point in time.

I would say Android!! The market will be way better than anything that Windows has at this point in time.

I don't place any stock in "will be..." items... I need tangible items now, or at least by the time I'm ready to make the purchase (within the next couple of months, most likely)... Otherwise, I'm more inclined to eithe rgot with the Windows 7 Pro powered device, or just wait and see what comes out around the holidays.

I actually just posted about it in another thread...

Last night I ordered myself an Acer Iconia W500. I should get it in the mail tomorrow or Friday. I have heard reports of reformatting the tablet and installing Win 7 Pro with only minimal acer support programs to handle the touch aspects of the tablet.

Hopefully this isn't a mistake on my behalf. It is replacing a laptop that now has a dead motherboard. I also have a full functioning desktop and the swmbo's laptop. So hopefully it will work out... otherwise it's a $530+ mistake.

Also, based on the hardware, I don't think the A500 (android version) is upgradeable to windows though it does have the better cameras and a flash which kinda stinks since the w500 doesn't but oh well... I own a camera too.

I'll also be out of town the week of the 12th so it will be my primary personal computer (I'll have my work laptop too) for a week... So I can really put it through the ringer then.

I'll update a bit once I received it and had a chance to play with it a bit.

So I finally ordered the tablet yesterday (Friday) from Amazon... It was so cheap to get it delivered today, that I just had to go that way. I've already booted it up, upgraded it to Windows 7 Professional (bought the cheaper model with home premium installed), removed a few applications (more will go later I'm sure) and am about to bind it to my AD domain...

One thing that I didn't realize about this model... It has a standard SD card slot. I also found out that it supports the new, higher capacity, SD cards (limit is 2TB)...

All I'll need to do now is get BeerSmith onto it (need to see about getting a third activation) as well as install the Kaspersky suite I own.

Once I have everything installed on it, I'll post up additional impressions of it. So far, it's very positive. Especially how easy it is to navigate within the unit. I've not [yet] docked it to the keyboard, but I can see doing that at some point.

I decided on Windows 7 Professional for a few reasons.

1. I KNOW the apps I want to use will run on it natively.
2. I KNOW I can bind it to AD domains with ease.
3. I don't need to worry about Microsoft dropping development on the OS. Sure, eventually they'll want people to move to a newer version, but that's many, many years away. Look at it this way, people/companies are STILL running XP Pro. I know many have skipped right over Vista and are planning on moving to Windows 7. I expect to be able to get downloads/updates for the OS for at least as long as I'll be using the device.

IF there were more functionality built into the Android OS, it would have been a more difficult choice.

Back