The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Will we be getting younger members soon?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 06:52 PM   #21
the_Roqk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Doesn't matter anyway what age you set the legal limit. Kids will always find a way to get it. Even I was drinking at 16. I had a part-time job and had friends that were of legal age (19 back then) who would buy it for me. Just like anything else in life, "if you want it bad enough then you'll find a way to get it".

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2007, 06:59 PM   #22
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

Everyone here excited about the thought of their daughter being able to legally go into a bar and get drunk on the night of her 18th birthday, say "AYE!"

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:03 PM   #23
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
Everyone here excited about the thought of their daughter being able to legally go into a bar and get drunk on the night of her 18th birthday, say "AYE!"
I'd rather she be in a bar than in some frat house which is where she's gonna be if it's illegal for her to drink in the bar.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 08-15-2007, 07:08 PM   #24
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

I'm fine with the legal age being 21. Even though you're still half-retarded at 21, that's a 100% improvement over 18. Does anyone remember what COMPLETELY irresponsible morons they were at 18??? Besides, having 18 be legal to buy beer makes it exponentially more available to other high-school students.

As a parent, I think it's fine if you want to let your kid drink at whatever age you deem appropriate. I know I plan to let my kids drink when they're younger than 21, but I think it's good that it's not legal without MY approval.

I'm also for raising the legal driving age to 18. I don't think your average 16 yr old is anywhere near responsible enough to operate a vehicle.

Last edited by rdwj; 08-15-2007 at 07:12 PM.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:13 PM   #25
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

When you are 18 you take on responsibility for yourself. You are an adult. Our government needs to treat us that way. If my parents tried to "parent" me after I turned 18, I would have laughed and walked away. They understood I was an adult and did not make decisions for me anymore. That's how it should be.

Oh, and Cheese, it should be 18 for men, 30 for women.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:17 PM   #26
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadedDog
I'd rather she be in a bar than in some frat house which is where she's gonna be if it's illegal for her to drink in the bar.
I would rather teach her to drink responsibly with responsible people in a safe manner.
OK does that make it obvious I don't have kids?

Old 08-15-2007, 07:19 PM   #27
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
As a parent, I think it's fine if you want to let your kid drink at whatever age you deem appropriate. I know I plan to let my kids drink when they're younger than 21, but I think it's good that it's not legal without MY approval.
The people who want the age lowered to 18 are those who will profit off of increased sales. This is less of a libertarian issue and more of a capitalist idea. It's just like those who create marketing material to protest tobacco taxes. Has absolutely nothing to do with "defending the public" and 100% to do with selling more product.

Get kids drinking earlier, and their tolerance goes up quicker. Therefore, they'll soon go from splitting a case with 6 friends to drinking the case by themselves. Also, it gives marketing companies the opportunity to brand people at a more impressionable age.

It makes no sense to lower the drinking age. The last thing we need is another consumption item to make people fatter, lazier and dumber at a younger age. This isn't Europe where you can walk or bike to most places. The U.S. was built for the automobile and as such it means we need to be more careful about who we let drive.

Now, I'm not opposed to allowing the sale of alcohol to people under 21 in the presence of a parent. I'd actually support that, as it would give kids an opportunity to learn responsible drinking.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Cool Shirts.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:20 PM   #28
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadedDog
Or in a friend's basement without supervision and nobody sober around to make sure she doesn't go nutso.

The fact is, if you're relying on the justice system to keep your teenage kid from drinking irresponsibly, then you've already lost the fight. If they want to drink but can't walk into a bar and buy it legally, what do you think they're gonna do? Go home and play scrabble and drink Pepsi instead? No, they're gonna do what (I'm assuming) most of us did at that age: get it somewhere else. An of-age friend or acquaintance (our hookup was some guy who worked in the McD's drive-thru with my friend)...a bum hanging outside of 7-11 who is more than happy to buy you some Boone's Farm or MD 20/20 in exchange for a few bucks...or that one shop that everyone knows about that doesn't card anyone.

Being underage didn't prevent me from getting booze---my parents pretty much knew this. So they best thing they did is tell me that, if I were drunk, that it's okay, just don't drive home. Stay at my friend's house, or call them so they can pick me up, and they wouldn't be upset. And they reinforced the idea of being responsible. It doesn't mean I always was, but I was surely better off when I reached the drinking age than many people I knew...

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-15-2007, 07:22 PM   #29
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Well said Evan.

Lots of the society in the UK are pushing for raising the age limit to 21.

Most 18 year olds are idiots, give them a drink and at best they are a pain in the but and at worst lethal.

I'll be hypocritical and say I support raising it to 21. I was in the pubs at 15 and clubs at 16. It also got me into trouble that wasn't worth it.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:22 PM   #30
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seefresh
If my parents tried to "parent" me after I turned 18, I would have laughed and walked away. They understood I was an adult and did not make decisions for me anymore. That's how it should be.
Wow...

In retrospect, I'm kinda of happy about the parenting my parents gave me when I was 18. While I was "legally" an adult, in no way would I say I was responsible or able to make intelligent, informed decisions. I don't think that you magically go from kid to adult on the night of your 18th birthday.

Cool Shirts.

Quick Reply