The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Will we be getting younger members soon?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 02:17 AM   #11
Beerrific
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

In Louisiana the drinking laws are worded very careful as to not make it black and white 21-year-old drinking age. Alcohol can be consumed by anyone (I guess over 18) as long as it is private. Alcohol can not be purchased for someone under 21 unless it is by the parent/guardian or spouse. So, if your parents buy you boose, you can drink in private, but your parents can't give any of it to your friends.

I think that is fair.

I went to college in LA and the administration was very explicit as to say the dorms were not "private residences." But they never turned anyone over to the cops if they were caught drinking.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2007, 02:44 AM   #12
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hmm I'm so old I was legal to drink since I was 18. It was stupid to change it, but any state that changes it back loses their federal highway dollars, so it'll never happen.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 08-15-2007, 03:07 AM   #13
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific
In Louisiana the drinking laws are worded very careful as to not make it black and white 21-year-old drinking age. Alcohol can be consumed by anyone (I guess over 18) as long as it is private. Alcohol can not be purchased for someone under 21 unless it is by the parent/guardian or spouse. So, if your parents buy you boose, you can drink in private, but your parents can't give any of it to your friends.
Same in Texas, you can even take your kid to a bar and buy them drinks, although every bar I have worked at had a policy against this, which caused problem at least once a month with some smart ass parent.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:14 AM   #14
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

18 years old to drink here in Manitoba. I already had a full time job and my own place. Can't get much more grown up than that.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:17 PM   #15
the_Roqk

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers
18 years old to drink here in Manitoba. I already had a full time job and my own place. Can't get much more grown up than that.
Now that's an idea! Why not let a judge sign a writ stating that a person that was under legal drinking age, which has a job and was self supportive. That they could have permission to buy and consume alcohol at a bar or purchase it at a store. But that person could not buy alcohol for anyone under the legal age. If they were caught doing this then they would forfeit that right to drink or buy alcohol and be put on probation with community service to boot.

Kinda like forfeiting your rights when one becomes incarcerated or commits a felony. Only problem I see with this is, it might burden the legal system even more.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:25 PM   #16
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

What does it matter what age is set? It comes down to ability to drink safely. If you want to let your kids drink at 18, 16, 14, or 10 then let them, but let them do it at home. Create a safe environment for your children to drink.

The problem is that kids are forced to find hideouts where they can drink, then they have to drive home. It's not the drinking that's the problem, it's the driving. You hear about alcohol poisoning on the news, but it's pretty rare. What you hear about more is the date-rape and fights that result from unsupervised drinking.

I guarantee you that if you let your kids drink with you, they'd set themselves at the same pace you're drinking. Teach them how many is enough, and that they should only drink when they're somewhere safe.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:29 PM   #17
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

I'll say this over and over.. if you are old enough to die for your country, you are old enough to drink under that government. Not to mention, I didn't know any kids that didn't drink because of the age limit.

and, Cheese, I agree 100%. Being forced to hide your drinking makes kids act stupid (er).

Last edited by Ó Flannagáin; 08-15-2007 at 06:31 PM.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:30 PM   #18
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific

I think that is fair.
Fair? How's that? "More fair", maybe, but it's still absurdly unfair that someone who can sign a contract, elect our leaders and fight/die in a war, can only drink "in private", and even then, only when their parents have bought the alcohol. It might be better than some states, but it's still idiotic.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-15-2007, 06:37 PM   #19
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
But Mark Rosenker, chairman of the National Transportation Safety Board, countered: “Why would we repeal or weaken laws that save lives? It doesn’t make sense.”
Right, that's fantastic logic, dingleberry. You know what else would "save lives"? Outlawing automobiles. Hey, it saves lives, so why not? Forcing people to wear full body armor 24/7 would definitely save lives. Time for a new law, right, Mr. Chairman?

Ah, the ineptness of the government knows no bounds.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-15-2007, 06:50 PM   #20
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I agree with seefresh. I had to register for the selective service when I turned 18. If they think I could handle a gun, why not a beer?

Quick Reply