Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Widescreen vs. Full Screen rant

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2008, 08:36 PM   #11
John_Peters
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I guess I got too many old, inbred , rednecks around here that think the black bars means they are not getting their money's worth from their TV.
Just wait until you hear idiots complaining that the Blu-Ray disc they bought has black bars on their widscreen HDTV. People seem to think that if its in HD it should fill that 16X9 display completely. I sure hope mass adoption of that format does not see a bunch of 2.4:1 aspect movies resized to 1.78:1.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 08:46 PM   #12
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 932 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Most cable/satellite providers are already cropping scope movies to 16:9 on their HD channels for that very reason. It's disgusting.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-27-2008, 09:18 PM   #13
phissionkorps
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Guess I'm in the minority here, but widescreen looks like sh*t in my opinion. The bars are annoying as hell, and it's stretched all goofy if you change the ratio. The only argument I've ever heard from widescreen fans is that you get to "see more". Well the actors are in the middle of the screen, 99% of the action is in the middle of the screen. I don't need to see and extra 6" of a building when it is totally irrelevant. My TV screen is wider than it is tall, but widescreen wastes so much of the screen. I don't have the best vision, so I'd have to buy a TV like 3 sizes larger to get the same amount of area out of a widescreen movie as compared to standard.

Primary: star thistle traditional mead
Secondary: mango melomel, Biere de Garde, dark strong braggot, oud bruin, Paulaner clone, coffee RIS
Bottled: rye wit, sticke alt, Graetzer, Apfelwein, zeus SMaSH, APA

Old 10-27-2008, 11:52 PM   #14
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 932 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Ugh. You have a gripe with directors and no one else. I personally want to see what the director envisioned when it was shot, period. I don't care what the ratio is. I hope you are in the minority.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-28-2008, 01:07 AM   #15
jpowers1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Fullscreen is a funny thing. "this film has been modified to fit your crappy TV." Its all relative. I run S-video from one of my desktops for movies, so I can do whatever I want with ratios and resolutions

Old 10-28-2008, 11:35 AM   #16
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 545 Times on 397 Posts
Likes Given: 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpowers1 View Post
. . . I run S-video from one of my desktops for movies, so I can do whatever I want with ratios and resolutions.
S-Video will get you a good picture in SD, but for HD you'll need at least component, or better yet HDMI or DVI for digital HD.

Quote:
Now, it is a perfect opportunity to clarify a myth here: There is no way to grabb from any analogue source (including Television broadcasts) at a true resolution beyond 352 X 576/480 with the use of S-Video in. With S-Video you are limited to 352 X 576/480, because this is the resolution of S-Video. From this point of view, any grabb beyond 352 X 576/480 is a fake!
That's the nature of being competitive. You find yourself wanting validation from more objective sources then your own ego.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:22 PM   #17
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2017 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
Guess I'm in the minority here, but widescreen looks like sh*t in my opinion. The bars are annoying as hell, and it's stretched all goofy if you change the ratio. The only argument I've ever heard from widescreen fans is that you get to "see more". Well the actors are in the middle of the screen, 99% of the action is in the middle of the screen. I don't need to see and extra 6" of a building when it is totally irrelevant. My TV screen is wider than it is tall, but widescreen wastes so much of the screen. I don't have the best vision, so I'd have to buy a TV like 3 sizes larger to get the same amount of area out of a widescreen movie as compared to standard.
Well, As others have said, watching a 4:3 ration on a widescreen still yields bars, so if you have the choice, watch what fits your TV best. FWIW, I still dislike the "Pan and Scan" method of editing the movie to keep the action or actors in the frame still eliminates the whole feel of the scene. Some movies are purposely shot with an even wider aspect to capture the mood of the expanse of the scene. Purposely wanting to miss things in the scene is sort of strange IMO.

After watching the movie for a few minutes, I don't notice the black bars. In fact, I watch 4:3 broadcast TV at standard ratio on my widescreen, just to avoid stretching, and the black bars are not even noticeable after a few minutes.

I don't get the claim that you are going to need a TV 3X the size if widescreen. The same size TV would yield the same size of display. (Except I like the there are better resolution options with some movies now, which would actually make the scene seem smaller in comparison, but you get more detail.)

Old 10-28-2008, 07:36 PM   #18
Jester369

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I started buying WS versions of movies even before I finally got a WS tv. So glad I did - can't stand pan'n'scan! I want to see the shot framed the way the director intended, not a compromise aimed at getting the most 'stuff' in the shot. It was filmed a certain way for a reason (most times! ) The bars never botherd me at all, but I guess it's just a personal thing. Once the lights are dimmed, I don't even notice that they are there

Old 10-28-2008, 07:53 PM   #19
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

The black bars don't bother me, but the pan-and-scan that some movies have for the full screen version of wide-screen movies bothers the crap out of me.

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 10-28-2008, 07:56 PM   #20
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4683 Times on 4340 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I purposely bought DLP to not have any concerns about burn in or feel obligated to distort the image to fill the screen. Black bars, I don't care. They blend in nicely with the expanse of black around the TV.

Quick Reply