Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Why, if I'm an AMERICAN living in AMERICA do I have to...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2009, 01:23 AM   #11
Hegh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathweed View Post
While this is valid, at the same time THEY are in a new country where the predominate language is English.

In this case BOTH should learn a word so that effective communication is established and BOTH are bettered by the situation.
In most of the US that is true, but in any large city, you'll find areas where the predominant language is not English. These are popular areas for new immigrants, because it takes some of the stress out of the move to a new country and culture.

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2009, 01:36 AM   #12
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegh View Post
In most of the US that is true, but in any large city, you'll find areas where the predominant language is not English. These are popular areas for new immigrants, because it takes some of the stress out of the move to a new country and culture.
And it has been that way since before this country was even established, so lets try to keep any "immigrants are ruining America" comments to a minimum, please.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:41 AM   #13
Hegh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker36 View Post
And it has been that way since before this country was even established, so lets try to keep any "immigrants are ruining America" comments to a minimum, please.
Not sure if I didn't give my post the tone I meant to, but I was definitely not trying to say that it's a bad thing. If I moved to a country where I didn't know the language, I would like to start by living in an area that makes the transition easier by lowering my need to learn the language and culture all at once.

On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

Old 08-01-2009, 01:41 AM   #14
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Not sure if I didn't give my post the tone I meant to, but I was definitely not trying to say that it's a bad thing. If I moved to a country where I didn't know the language, I would like to start by living in an area that makes the transition easier by lowering my need to learn the language and culture all at once.
No, sorry, wasn't aimed at you. Just trying to head off any future problems.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:17 AM   #15
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
I understand this, and I understand that making a transition to a new country/culture can be stressful. While their neighborhood may be predominately of their native language, the country is predominately English (for the moment).

I am not saying that "immigrants are ruining the nation", I believe the US has been and should be the "great mixing pot" for those that wish to become part of our nation legally, but for us to function together we should have a common shared language to help cross cultural/language barriers that arise. For this reason, helping by writing in both languages so BOTH parties learn from each other seems like the best option to help take out some of the stress of moving to a new country.

However, if someone has been in this country legally or otherwise for any extended period of time and has refused to make any attempt at learning the language, I hold no sympathy and retract any special considerations. If I were to spend any time in their country I would do my best to learn their culture and language to the best of my ability, as a sign of respect for them and their nation. If they do not extend the same courtesy to me/us while in my/our home, why should we bend over backward for their stubborn disrespect?

It swings both ways... "While in Rome..."

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 08-01-2009, 02:19 AM   #16
Hotspur
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurmey View Post
Maybe it's because the only job a new immigrant can get is cleaning trash up for other folks. It's just possible that as soon as they get a grip on the language, they will move up on the employment ladder to a better job with better pay.

Cleaning crews need to be absolutely SURE that something is trash before they will take it or it will cost them their much needed job.

Get over it.
Exactly this. Also, whomever is sourcing the cleaning is going with the lowest bidder, and anyone who can speak *any* English is above that hiring bracket. Welcome to capitalism, enjoy your stay.

The janitorial company hired where I work employs local English speaking, American teenagers. They touch exactly one item in each cubicle - the trash can. If it's not in or on the can, it doesn't go.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:19 AM   #17
Hegh
Recipes 

Quote:
I understand this, and I understand that making a transition to a new country/culture can be stressful. While their neighborhood may be predominately of their native language, the country is predominately English (for the moment).

I am not saying that "immigrants are ruining the nation", I believe the US has been and should be the "great mixing pot" for those that wish to become part of our nation legally, but for us to function together we should have a common shared language to help cross cultural/language barriers that arise. For this reason, helping by writing in both languages so BOTH parties learn from each other seems like the best option to help take out some of the stress of moving to a new country.

However, if someone has been in this country legally or otherwise for any extended period of time and has refused to make any attempt at learning the language, I hold no sympathy and retract any special considerations. If I were to spend any time in their country I would do my best to learn their culture and language to the best of my ability, as a sign of respect for them and their nation. If they do not extend the same courtesy to me/us while in my/our home, why should we bend over backward for their stubborn disrespect?

Well put, I agree

Old 08-01-2009, 02:20 AM   #18
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3494 Times on 3385 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:

But how do you know when somebody hasn't taken strides to learn the language? How about somebody who has, say an immigrant of advancing years, and can't grasp it? English is one of the most difficult languages to learn.

I'd try my best to learn another language if I lived where it was necessary (I learned Southern when I lived in NC ) but sometimes it's just hard for people.

This whole trash rant seems a bit overwrought to me.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:12 AM   #19
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3148 Times on 3056 Posts
Likes Given: 164

That's all well and good. You got your trash picked up.

Our custodians are white, male, union, English speakers and they don't take the trash out even if I mark the boxes as "Trash."

Old 08-01-2009, 03:54 AM   #20
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 149 Posts

Section 4-1-404 –English and Legal Language (1984)

English is hereby established as the official and legal language of Tennessee. All communications and publications, including ballots, produced by governmental entities in Tennessee shall be in English, and instruction in public schools and colleges of Tennessee shall be conducted in English unless the nature of the course would require otherwise.

No basura signs for us.

Quick Reply