Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Why I will always change my own oil from now on

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2009, 04:23 AM   #1
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Why I will always change my own oil from now on

I am sooooo freking pissed. WEll I am actually better now. I take my car in to get the tires rotated and get the oil changed and I always seem to get shorted a few qts of oil. The oil was changed a month ago and tonight and what do I hear when I start up in the store parking lot, a rapid click noise. There is no burning oil smell and no leaks. I recognize this sound as this happened the last time I took the car in ( different place). Once I add 2 qts of oil no more clicking noise. This is the second time in a row and from two different places. The effin engine could have seized on me for chrissakes. I realize that the economy is in tatters right now but that is no reason to short people.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2009, 04:42 AM   #2
marubozo
I can has homebrew?
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5369 Times on 5227 Posts
Likes Given: 222

That's pretty hardcore if oil change places are shorting customers on oil. Where did you go? Is it a big chain or do you hit up local shops?

Old 07-03-2009, 05:14 AM   #3
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My oil change place always shows me the dipstick with the oil level in the 'normal' range before I drive off.

I'd insist if they didn't offer.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:20 AM   #4
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You sure you didn't burn off that oil in the last month?? If it happened twice with two different shops, my bet it is your car, not the shop.

You should get in the habit of checking your oil every time you put gas in your car.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 07-03-2009, 05:54 AM   #5
zman

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
You sure you didn't burn off that oil in the last month?? If it happened twice with two different shops, my bet it is your car, not the shop.

You should get in the habit of checking your oil every time you put gas in your car.
The thing is that it only happens within a few weeks, a month at most after the oil change. I can drive 5K miles without any problems. I am thinking I would smell it if it were burning oil. and There are no oil spots on my drive way or the floor of the garage. I am going to call my Mechanic about it in the morning and ask him about it but I think I might be right on this one but I am not a mechanic so we'll see.

Good Idea on checking the oil when filling up. I used to do that when I had a late late model car back in the day but have not done it with the newer vehicles I have had.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:58 AM   #6
MBasile
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
That's pretty hardcore if oil change places are shorting customers on oil. Where did you go? Is it a big chain or do you hit up local shops?
Don't be surprised when it happens from either kind of place.

I'm lucky I have the mechanics I do for big jobs. They are so detail oriented and keep their shop so clean, they'd put most doctors offices to shame! They are some of the most honest, hard working people I have met in the automotive field too.

Shortly after I graduated high school I was browsing craigslist to find some extra work. There was an ad for a "Lube Technician." After I stopped laughing at the title, I clicked on the listing. It was for Jiffy Lube, and at the bottom it said "No mechanical experience necessary!" I wasn't shocked, but I did find it rather funny.

Oil is really simple enough for anyone with a ratchet to do. I only go to the shop when I'm living at a place with limited work space, am too busy/tired to do the job my self, or if its something beyond my skills (transmission work).

Old 07-03-2009, 05:58 AM   #7
zman

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
They were both big chains.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:04 AM   #8
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 403 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Cars need oil now? Oh crap.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:18 AM   #9
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4821 Times on 4425 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Meh. Just check the level before you leave. If the store manager doesn't know then he/she can't fix the problem. Oft times they just use a metering pump and it could be off calibration. Of course, the tech should still be checking but hey, it's a $20 change with a vacuum, window cleaning, radiator top up, and washer fluid. What do you expect?

I am willing to bet you won't be able to do it at home for less, and you'll be stuck with the disposal of the old oil that you'll likely just take to trhe nearest chain anyway.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:23 AM   #10
zman

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Meh. Just check the level before you leave. If the store manager doesn't know then he/she can't fix the problem. Oft times they just use a metering pump and it could be off calibration. Of course, the tech should still be checking but hey, it's a $20 change with a vacuum, window cleaning, radiator top up, and washer fluid. What do you expect?

I am willing to bet you won't be able to do it at home for less, and you'll be stuck with the disposal of the old oil that you'll likely just take to trhe nearest chain anyway.
The auto parts stores by my house take used oil to have it recycled as to most of the auto parts stores in the Metro Denver/Boulder area. I am not looking to save a few $$ I just want to know that there is sufficient oil in the engine. It is something I can do and do easily and it takes 20 minutes or so.

Quick Reply