Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Why is Home brewer TV unavailable

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2011, 04:04 AM   #1
SeanH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Why is Home brewer TV unavailable

Why was home brewer TV cancelled? Hope not to post the same question twice, i search for a thread like this one but didn't fine one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2011, 04:28 AM   #2
jafo28
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Not much of an explanation on his site. I guess it could be that once he changed it to a subscription service there wasn't enough interest?

Old 06-30-2011, 05:02 AM   #3
aygov
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 282

Comment by Gary under the last video he put up in response to someone asking why it has gone subscription based.

Quote:
Over the last month or so I have received many emails complaining about the ads the video server adds, so yes they will be gone. I need the show to pay for itself and I do not have enough sponsors to make ends meet. Sponsors are hard to get. The cost of the studio time, production crew and edit suit time has sent me backwards financially. I guess in a perfect world, I have all of our great viewers willing to keep the show going, rather than all of the cost burdens being on me. I felt 5 bucks a month was not a burden for anyone, especially since they have the 10% off from some of the sponsors.

I am always open to other ideas to keep the show free yet pay the cost of the productions.

Gary
That sucks to hear. I didn't follow him religiously but I watched him off and on and his shows were good and he had a lot of enthusiasm for brewing/beer. Unfortunately if he's not able to bank roll it and people aren't willing to stump up the subs to pay costs then it was inevitable.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1933 Times on 1399 Posts
Likes Given: 1055

This sucks. I just upgraded my phone and was eager to put his videos on it to watch on the road. Now I can't even sign up because the site tells me there is nothing associated with the sign-up to collect payment or something).

The site is half-assed now. The only method I could find to contact him was posting on his comments page and the problem had not been fixed last time I checked.

$5 is no big deal IMO. Anyone who brews his own could paypal $5 to watch some nice videos.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
JonW
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I think Gary was doing a great service with his videos and I'm sad to see them go. His love of the hobby is very evident in his presentations. However, I didn't think the subscription based service was going to fly because quite honestly, $60 a year is a lot for many homebrewers.

I know Gary was trying to do the show as professional as possible, but maybe a less-polished version that is shot with home video cameras (which are still great quality) and basic editing software would suffice. Could it be done as a home show with little to no cost that the site advertisers would be enough to cover?

I don't think I'm alone in saying that Gary's enthusiasm is what made the show, not the professional editing or green screen / backdrops.

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sing...ed-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hack...s-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upri...1-kegs-371438/

Quick Reply