Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Why does this bother me?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 320

Default Why does this bother me?

I have a friend that I have been brewing with quite a bit for the last year and a half. I have a 1bbl system so I let him in for half of a batch about every other brew day. This way I get to brew more often and he gets to brew as well. It actually works out good and I enjoy it. What bothers me is that lately, he has been bring over people for brewery tours to see "OUR" brewery. I don't mind the tours as I always welcome beer discussion and love to see the look on peoples faces (especially BMC drinkers) when they try my homebrew. What bothers me is that he tells everyone that it's our brewery even though he didn't purchase or help fabricate one single piece of equipment (although a friend of his did donate the kegerator when he moved out of town). He buys his own ingredients and pitches in on sanitizer/utilites, but that's it. Now I know it's not that big of a deal and I haven't called him out on it, but it still erks me. If I was brewing on a friends rig and took someone over to see it, I don't think I would refer to it as ours. Our beer perhaps, but not our brewery. Thoughts?

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
maffewl
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't know... I guess I could see how it urks you, but I would love to have a friend who enjoyed the brewing process and split batches with me. I would say most of your guests see that it's in your house, and since it's there, and since you know what your doing more than he does, they probably naturally assume it's yours and don't actually think that you two "own" everything together. I guess it would bother me too if I spent a ton of time buying and building for someone else to take credit, but I can also see it from the perspective that you have a friend who enjoys this hobby with you, and that in itself is pretty awesome. I would try to focus on the positive.

_

Digital Temperature Controller build:
Click Here

Bottle Cutter build:
Click Here

Old 02-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

And that's why I haven't said anything. I don't want to spoil it for him and I do enjoy having someone to brew with.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Of course when he gives those tours, you could gladly give a little more history of the brewery, like "when I bought this... and when I built this..."

Somewhere between
your liver and spleen
its always clear
for one more beer!

Old 02-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Everyone is always immediately taken in by the huge kettles and don't really pay much attention to anything else.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
buffalobrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL_Brewer View Post
Everyone is always immediately taken in by the huge kettles and don't really pay much attention to anything else.
sounds like guys and a well endowed woman.....

You start with a full bag of luck and a empty bag of experience, your goal is to fill the bag of experience before you empty your bag of luck

Old 02-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

I get irked pretty easily by stuff like this also. It's that indescribable level of respect that I feel every man should understand and adhere to. I'd talk to him about it. I get pretty peeved the minute I notice that someone has become too comfortable with my taps and put an end to it right away.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 55

You can gently "correct" him like JtheB suggested. "Those kettles? I got a great deal on these and after I bought them, I got this and that. It was kinda hard to put all this together, but I'm glad to have a brew day partner these days."

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 02-25-2012, 02:25 AM   #9
wyoohio
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My brother is the same way. He likes to call my rig our rig. erks my wife more than me because she knows all the research money and labor I have put into brewing and he rides my coat tails even though he hasn't even offered suggestions to the setup.

I just do what others have suggested here. Casually correct him when he takes credit and sneak in that it is my brain child not his. I have never blatantly called him out. Ha the wife has been close a few times though.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
ndsgr
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I encourage my friends to treat my system like it's theirs, aside from modifying it permanently. One friend came over and kept asking permission to use each component or tool (mash paddle, liquid level stick, etc). I snapped at him (with a friendly tone), "it's your f-ing brewery, do what you got to do." If he was showing off stuff, I don't think I would mind it too much if he referred to it as "ours". Personally I like having a friend around to brew with, so even if something like that were irritating to me, I would probably just let it go. My schedule limits how much I brew, so as long as my system is producing beer, I'm happy. OP's situation may differ from mine though.

Kind of off topic, but the guy wont even take credit for beers we brew together, since I came up with the recipe and bought the grain. Helping to lift a full mash tun or boil kettle is more than enough to warrant co-brewer credits IMO.

Quick Reply