The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Why do some people claim draft beer gives a headache?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2006, 03:19 PM   #11
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts

My understanding is beer gas (nitro/CO2) is used to push beer because the Nitro will not go into solution and over-carbonate the beer. It is most often used on long beer line runs where the possibility of C)2 absorbtion is greater. More CO2 in the beer means a lot more gas in your gut. This is one reason Cask Conditioned Real Ale and beer engines are so nice. The "flat" beer is simply more lightly carbonated and has a mellow and smooth character.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2006, 03:27 PM   #12
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzman
They even have Bud Light on Nitrogen. I'd be curious to see how it pours. And what is up with their list of 'wierd' beers?
All of the beers in Ireland (Bud included) are poured using beer gas (a mix of Nitrogen and CO2) and they are poured from a stout tap. The difference is the restrictor plate is removed and the pressure is not set as high as say a Guinness.

I didn't really notice a difference in the way that a Carling poured and tasted served this way. That's to be expected though. Carling, BMC et al. are thinner bodied beers and the Nitrogen doen't work it's magic without pressure and the agitation of the restrictor plate.

I'll see if I can post pics this week. It really is comical to see a Bud with a stout tap. It cries out, "But I am a big boy beer... see".

ETA: Also, I agree with what the Pastor says above.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 11-09-2006, 02:53 AM   #13
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzman
http://www.marker20.com/menus/beer.htm

I found this interesting:

They even have Bud Light on Nitrogen. I'd be curious to see how it pours. And what is up with their list of 'wierd' beers?
LOL....how did you come across that site? That's a little place that was just down the road from my place in VA. The spicy tuna bites or whatever they call them are the tits!
Gone unsung for far too long

Old 07-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #14
MrFebtober
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've probably met a half dozen people who make this claim, and one very recently, so I'm bumping this thread back to life to see if there is any more insight out there.

Personally, I'm leaning toward BP's opinion that it's just people tending to drink more draft beer than bottled beer and incorrectly assigning blame for the headache they get. Beer, BMC anyway, tends to be smoother and can be quaffed faster from a glass than sipping from a bottle.

My second guess is the people making this claim have had at least one bad experience involving draft beer at a crumby bar that neglected keeping its beer lines clean, resulting in excessive amounts of toxins and bad stuff being consumed. Can dirty beerlines lead to headaches or did i just make that up?

I want to know the answer so I have some fodder next time I'm out and someone requests bottled over draft when I'm buying the next round.

Primary 1: Oktoberfest Lager
Primary 2: Apricot Wit
Primary 3: Christmas Warmer MkII
Primary 4: Apfelwein
Bottle conditioning: Vanilla Caramel Creme Ale
Bottle conditioning: Brain Spawn Saison
Bottle conditioning: Hot Shot Rye Red
On Tap 1: Barletariot Cream Ale
On Tap 2: Apfelwein

Old 07-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #15
Joe C
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I find that I do have a greater chance of upset stomache/headache when drinking Bud Light at a hockey/baseball game... but If I drink Budweiser I have no problems. This is beer for beer, no smoking cigaretts, etc.

Apfelwin does not play well with others. In fact, Apfelwein runs with scissors and yells obscenities at it's classmates :)
Project Monsterator! Click here for a howto on building a keezer! And how to ruin one!

Support a Brewing Soldier!

Old 07-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #16
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I once had the worst headache and hangover I ever had drinking $2 pitchers of Icehouse in college. That was the last time I ever had Icehoue. My guess is that the keg was bad or something so the bar decided to offer $2 pitchers to college students to kill the keg.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:23 PM   #17
skinfiddler

Recipes 

Because (in my case) it does. All BMC I've ever had on draught will leave me with a terrible headache the next day.

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
~Mark Twain

Old 07-01-2008, 03:34 PM   #18
RodfatherX
Recipes 

A lady told me once, that champagne is the worst of all the wines for headaches, because of the bubbles. I guess it could be that there is more carbonation on draft vs bottle. And most BMCs taste overly carbed in the bottle to me too. I've never drank a lot of champagne so I'm not really sure. And usually if I drink more than a few, I take 2 advil before bed....so I usually do not get a headache unless I forget the advil.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:47 PM   #19
MrFebtober
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinfiddler View Post
Because (in my case) it does. All BMC I've ever had on draught will leave me with a terrible headache the next day.
But drinking craft beer on draft is not a problem, eh? Interesting.

Primary 1: Oktoberfest Lager
Primary 2: Apricot Wit
Primary 3: Christmas Warmer MkII
Primary 4: Apfelwein
Bottle conditioning: Vanilla Caramel Creme Ale
Bottle conditioning: Brain Spawn Saison
Bottle conditioning: Hot Shot Rye Red
On Tap 1: Barletariot Cream Ale
On Tap 2: Apfelwein

Old 07-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #20
Jester369

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A friend of mine gets headaches whenever he drinks commercial beer, but not when he drinks homebrew. The commercial beers he used to drink before he gave up on it were of the BMC variety, so I told him he should try homebrew since there isn't any chemical augmentation. He hasn't had any problems with homebrew at all. And his problem wasn't with drinking too much - he'd get a ripping headache after half a bottle, soon after drinking it.

Quick Reply